Aug 30, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Senior Associate A.D./Media & Broadcast Relations director John Heisler is on the ground with the Fighting Irish in Dublin, and checks into the blog with some news and notes from the Emerald Isle.
- There was a definite green theme to Notre Dame’s overnight flight to Dublin. The Irish players and most of the coaches and football staff wore bright green sweatsuits and hats. Ask for water and it came with a (green) lime and a miniature Ireland flag. The inside of the Delta plane was festooned with green theming.
- The Irish flight arrived a half-hour early but had to wait about 20 minutes because there was no gate available at the Dublin airport. There were racks of Notre Dame and Navy gear on sale the minute the Notre Dame traveling party passed through customs and entered the Aer Lingus terminal. By the time the team buses pulled out a little before 8 a.m., the sun shone bright and there was not a cloud in the sky.
- The Irish squad had time to get organized, ate a 10 a.m. breakfast at the hotel, and then jumped on buses at 10:45 am. to head to Aviva Stadium—with six members of the Garda providing a motorcycle escort.
- Notre Dame’s team normally wears black adidas shoes for its games, but against Navy the Irish squad will wear a special orange, green and white adidas shoes modeled after colors of the Ireland flag.
- The Irish squad practiced for about 90 minutes in shorts on the Aviva practice pitch (artificial turf) in extremely windy conditions, with a large group of mostly Ireland media interviewing coach Brian Kelly and captains Kapron Lewis-Moore, Manti Te’o, Tyler Eifert and Zack Martin after the workout ended.
- Among practice visitors was a group representing the Belfast Trojans, who won the Ireland American football title this summer. The team reps brought with them the 2012 Shamrock Bowl they won and had their picture taken with the crystal cup and Kelly.
- After practice, Kelly’s squad headed to Taylors Three Rock Pub in Rathfarnham for a late lunch and an exhibition of Irish dancing. The team ate dinner at its hotel and retired early after two days that seemingly became one.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- A host of freshmen have been making an impact already this fall. @d_TraNquill is one of them. und.com/sports/m-footb… 9 hours ago
- Watch the behind the scenes footage of the @NavyLeapFrogs at #UnderTheLights vs Michigan watchnd.tv/#!/videos/dvaj… http://t.co/3fVmiGDlct 20 hours ago
- On a busy day for ND in the NFL news, don’t miss this @Vikings video calling @HarriSmith22 an “emerging star” vikings.com/media-vault/vi… 1 day ago
- Must-see story on @CoachTonyAlford RT @WatchND: A brother’s bond transcends life & death. und.com/sports/m-footb… http://t.co/Ib86Vvy3Ft 1 day ago
- Good advice. Hope you keep doing this so well! RT @Will_Fuller7: "Be who you are, and be that well" http://t.co/ROgw1TmI1X 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
- Softball. Irish Softball To Play Six Fall Games At Melissa Cook Stadium
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Teams To Take Part In Youth Soccer Month
- Football. Drue Tranquill Making An Impact
- General News. Five Core Values Serve Swarbrick And Notre Dame Well
- Baseball. Notre Dame Baseball Summer League Wrap-Up
- Football. Kuechenberg, Zbikowski Join Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Names 2015 Captains
- Football. Tony Alford Is All For Family
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Announces Challenging 2014-15 Schedule