Aug 30, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
Senior Associate A.D./Media & Broadcast Relations director John Heisler is on the ground with the Fighting Irish in Dublin, and checks into the blog with some news and notes from the Emerald Isle.
- There was a definite green theme to Notre Dame’s overnight flight to Dublin. The Irish players and most of the coaches and football staff wore bright green sweatsuits and hats. Ask for water and it came with a (green) lime and a miniature Ireland flag. The inside of the Delta plane was festooned with green theming.
- The Irish flight arrived a half-hour early but had to wait about 20 minutes because there was no gate available at the Dublin airport. There were racks of Notre Dame and Navy gear on sale the minute the Notre Dame traveling party passed through customs and entered the Aer Lingus terminal. By the time the team buses pulled out a little before 8 a.m., the sun shone bright and there was not a cloud in the sky.
- The Irish squad had time to get organized, ate a 10 a.m. breakfast at the hotel, and then jumped on buses at 10:45 am. to head to Aviva Stadium—with six members of the Garda providing a motorcycle escort.
- Notre Dame’s team normally wears black adidas shoes for its games, but against Navy the Irish squad will wear a special orange, green and white adidas shoes modeled after colors of the Ireland flag.
- The Irish squad practiced for about 90 minutes in shorts on the Aviva practice pitch (artificial turf) in extremely windy conditions, with a large group of mostly Ireland media interviewing coach Brian Kelly and captains Kapron Lewis-Moore, Manti Te’o, Tyler Eifert and Zack Martin after the workout ended.
- Among practice visitors was a group representing the Belfast Trojans, who won the Ireland American football title this summer. The team reps brought with them the 2012 Shamrock Bowl they won and had their picture taken with the crystal cup and Kelly.
- After practice, Kelly’s squad headed to Taylors Three Rock Pub in Rathfarnham for a late lunch and an exhibition of Irish dancing. The team ate dinner at its hotel and retired early after two days that seemingly became one.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame takes on Louisville for Senior Day. Nationally televised tomorrow @NDonNBC at 3:30PM ET http://t.co/ZZE6d8HE1A 24 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Great speeches from 5th year Seniors Christian Lombard, Justin Utupo, and Austin Collinsworth #NDFamily #NDSeniorDay 30 minutes ago
- BVG had high marks for Cole Luke's level-headedness in praising his 2014 season progress to @NDonNBC's crew. http://t.co/jOK3RQCveb 7 hours ago
- Last @NDonNBC meeting of the year. As @DanHicksNBC said, seems like yesterday we were here for Rice. It goes quickly. http://t.co/oJFML7KIQp 7 hours ago
- RT @NDfidm: A @NDFootball Senior Day Primer - big plays made this year by those who will play their final game with ND tmrw - http://t.co/F… 9 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 3-1 Decision To UMass Lowell In Hockey East Action
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life
- Football. Changing Course
- Football. Irish Extra: Luke Picks Up the Pace
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet UMass And Providence This Weekend
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Beachem Embraces Upsized Role
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Set To Play In 2015 Orlando Classic