Aug 30, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
After checking into the hotel and grabbing breakfast, the Irish headed downtown this morning, where the equipment crew and student managers got the locker room set up for Saturday and the team worked out on the practice pitch adjacent to Aviva Stadium.
Notre Dame got a quick look at the field where it will meet Navy on Saturday, but it had not yet been prepared for kickoff when the Irish first arrived. As a matter of fact, the grounds crew was beginning to paint the lines, just as practice started next door.
It was a brisk morning, with temperatures in the high 40s/low 50s, a nice change of pace from the hot August weather we have been getting back in South Bend.
After practice, University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick caught up with graduate student offensive lineman Mike Golic Jr. for an interview segment that will be featured in his upcoming radio show.
Head coach Brian Kelly and the four Irish captains also met with the media, including both local and American reporters. From the moment we stepped off the plane, it’s been clear that this game has generated a lot of buzz in Ireland, and it was interesting to hear some of the questions asked today. Have a listen below…
Following practice, the team went to Taylors Three Rock where the players and coaches enjoyed a meal, as well as traditional Irish music and dancing. At the end of the performance, the dancers dragged Jordan Cowart, Romeo Okwara, Troy Niklas and sports nutritionist Erika Whitman up on stage to join in the finale. It was entertaining, to say the least.
Between players and coaches singing and clapping along, and the musicians and dancers demonstrating incredible passion for their work, it was impossible not to be moved by the performance. For me, there was at least one moment during the dance routine that was truly goosebump-inducing. I’m not sure if it was the performers’ talent that struck me, or if it was the realization that I’m in Dublin. Probably a combination of both.
All in all, this has been an incredible opportunity for everyone involved, and this afternoon was just one example of special this trip has been.
For now, here’s a two-minute recap of the day, from the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- We are offering 6 camps this summer for elementary school kids through high school. Check out the website for details bit.ly/1mAndnD 10 hours ago
- #NDday starts this Sunday! See the full broadcast schedule, then watch, connect, give, and vote on 4/27: - sot.ag/2Cwkh 14 hours ago
- .@ProudtobeND is droppin' knowledge about the Play Like A Champion Today sign. Give them a follow and learn more about #NDDay 20 hours ago
- #NDFBDreamTeam DE's- runaway winner for the #1 spot is @JustinTuck, with Ross Browner & @DOCnation_7 fighting for #2. ow.ly/i/5jpz0 1 day ago
- Also garnering votes for #NDFBDreamTeam QB- Tony Rice @TRiceQB9, and a vocal contingent for 1947 Heisman winner Johnny Lujack. #GoIrish 1 day ago
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
- M. Basketball. ACC Announces Conference Opponents For 2014-15 And 2015-16 Campaigns
- Baseball. No. 11 Hurricanes Score Four In Eighth To Rally Past Irish, 6-3