Aug 30, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
After checking into the hotel and grabbing breakfast, the Irish headed downtown this morning, where the equipment crew and student managers got the locker room set up for Saturday and the team worked out on the practice pitch adjacent to Aviva Stadium.
Notre Dame got a quick look at the field where it will meet Navy on Saturday, but it had not yet been prepared for kickoff when the Irish first arrived. As a matter of fact, the grounds crew was beginning to paint the lines, just as practice started next door.
It was a brisk morning, with temperatures in the high 40s/low 50s, a nice change of pace from the hot August weather we have been getting back in South Bend.
After practice, University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick caught up with graduate student offensive lineman Mike Golic Jr. for an interview segment that will be featured in his upcoming radio show.
Head coach Brian Kelly and the four Irish captains also met with the media, including both local and American reporters. From the moment we stepped off the plane, it’s been clear that this game has generated a lot of buzz in Ireland, and it was interesting to hear some of the questions asked today. Have a listen below…
Following practice, the team went to Taylors Three Rock where the players and coaches enjoyed a meal, as well as traditional Irish music and dancing. At the end of the performance, the dancers dragged Jordan Cowart, Romeo Okwara, Troy Niklas and sports nutritionist Erika Whitman up on stage to join in the finale. It was entertaining, to say the least.
Between players and coaches singing and clapping along, and the musicians and dancers demonstrating incredible passion for their work, it was impossible not to be moved by the performance. For me, there was at least one moment during the dance routine that was truly goosebump-inducing. I’m not sure if it was the performers’ talent that struck me, or if it was the realization that I’m in Dublin. Probably a combination of both.
All in all, this has been an incredible opportunity for everyone involved, and this afternoon was just one example of special this trip has been.
For now, here’s a two-minute recap of the day, from the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Good series RT @NDfidm: Final @NDFootball daily update of camp is a 2-fer: practice highlights & OL position profile WatchND.tv/#!/videos/NzYm… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Again...attention to detail #GoIrish http://t.co/TA8raNesN8 12 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ICYMI The story behind @UnderArmour's design of the @NDFootball #ShamrockSeries uniforms ntrda.me/1rkiCvb 13 hours ago
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Notice the detail #GoIrish http://t.co/nNbzQh3MdB 13 hours ago
- Wonderful having OC & WR coach Mike Denbrock back getting close to full-speed after his late summer health scare. http://t.co/QPEpRor5Yd 13 hours ago
- Football. Notre Dame And Under Armour Unveil 2014 Football Uniforms
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Gets Back To Work On Tuesday At Bradley
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces 2014 Fall Schedule
- W. Soccer. Irish Tabbed Sixth In ACC Preseason Women's Soccer Poll
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Tie Saint Louis, 0-0, In Weather-Shortened Exhibition Match
- W. Soccer. #16 Irish Roar Back In 2-2 Exhibition Draw At Northwestern
- W. Soccer. #16 Irish Travel To Northwestern Saturday For Exhibition Finale
- General News. Notre Dame Reports Academic Misconduct Investigation
- Softball. Irish Softball Fall Clinic Scheduled For Sept. 27
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Opens Exhibition Slate Saturday At Saint Louis