Aug 30, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
After checking into the hotel and grabbing breakfast, the Irish headed downtown this morning, where the equipment crew and student managers got the locker room set up for Saturday and the team worked out on the practice pitch adjacent to Aviva Stadium.
Notre Dame got a quick look at the field where it will meet Navy on Saturday, but it had not yet been prepared for kickoff when the Irish first arrived. As a matter of fact, the grounds crew was beginning to paint the lines, just as practice started next door.
It was a brisk morning, with temperatures in the high 40s/low 50s, a nice change of pace from the hot August weather we have been getting back in South Bend.
After practice, University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick caught up with graduate student offensive lineman Mike Golic Jr. for an interview segment that will be featured in his upcoming radio show.
Head coach Brian Kelly and the four Irish captains also met with the media, including both local and American reporters. From the moment we stepped off the plane, it’s been clear that this game has generated a lot of buzz in Ireland, and it was interesting to hear some of the questions asked today. Have a listen below…
Following practice, the team went to Taylors Three Rock where the players and coaches enjoyed a meal, as well as traditional Irish music and dancing. At the end of the performance, the dancers dragged Jordan Cowart, Romeo Okwara, Troy Niklas and sports nutritionist Erika Whitman up on stage to join in the finale. It was entertaining, to say the least.
Between players and coaches singing and clapping along, and the musicians and dancers demonstrating incredible passion for their work, it was impossible not to be moved by the performance. For me, there was at least one moment during the dance routine that was truly goosebump-inducing. I’m not sure if it was the performers’ talent that struck me, or if it was the realization that I’m in Dublin. Probably a combination of both.
All in all, this has been an incredible opportunity for everyone involved, and this afternoon was just one example of special this trip has been.
For now, here’s a two-minute recap of the day, from the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Undefeated Season Similarities
Length: 2:33 | May 20, 2013
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Notre Dame Stadium: Where goals are accomplished and dreams come to fruition!! WELCOME HOME!! #Go Irish http://t.co/lI… 1 hour ago
- It is exactly 100 days until we kick off against Temple #GoIrish #BeatOwls ow.ly/i/2bwj0 1 day ago
- Guess who just got on their Twitter game? @NDCheerTeam #Follow 1 day ago
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Everyone go and welcome the @NDCheerTeam to twitter! Every #ND fan should give them a follow! #GoIrish 1 day ago
- .@SiriusXMCollege had a Town Hall Meeting w/ @CoachBrianKelly, Today's clip- running out of the tunnel bit.ly/12v53b4 #GoIrish 2 days ago
- Track. Notre Dame Qualifies Five Student-Athletes for the NCAA National Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Sullivan Earns First Team WomensLax.com All-America Honors
- W. Lacrosse. Granger, Hilling Tabbed For IWLCA/Under Armour North-South All-Star Game
- W. Basketball. Pair Of Irish Alums On 2013 WNBA Opening Day Rosters
- Track. Jeremy Rae Wins 1,500m Prelims On Day One Of The NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Greg Andrews Eliminated From Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Irish Move Into BIG EAST Tournament Semifinals Following 5-3 Victory Over Pittsburgh
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Miller To Play In Friday's 72nd Annual North-South Game
- W. Golf. Ashley Armstrong To Play In USGA Sectional Qualifier
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Players Earn USILA All-America Honors