Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- WATCH LIVE - Coach Kelly addresses the media prior to our battle with Stanford on Saturday. TUNE IN NOW - watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… 5 hours ago
- Hope to see you there! RT @gamedayND: This week we're taking the @NDFootball Pep Rally to the Compton Family Ice Arena at 5:45 pm. 6 hours ago
- The third anniversary edition of #TrickShotMonday pays homage to the original and has a first-time winner. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/gxM3… 22 hours ago
- After @Will_Fuller7 didn’t get a first down, a @CoachBrianKelly pep talk helped him get two TDs. @NDfidm has video: WatchND.tv/#!/videos/NxaX… 1 day ago
- This week is the 3rd anniversary of time-honored #TrickShotMonday's public debut. Take a look back at our best shots WatchND.tv/#!/videos/dqNH… 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
- M. Golf. Sciupider Tied For Lead, Irish Slip To Fifth On Day Two Of The Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- General News. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Soccer. #2 Notre Dame Set For First Encounter With VCU
- W. Tennis. Women's ITA All-American Championships Update
- M. Golf. Notre Dame Owns One-Shot Lead After First Round Of Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Review Teleconference Transcript
- M. Tennis. Fighting Irish Wrap Up Play At Two Tournaments
- W. Tennis. Irish Women's Tennis Closes Out Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. #20/16 Irish Score Early, Hold Off Wake Forest 1-0 In ACC Tilt