Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EST
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule