Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's that time again- enter the @NDMonogram's 2014 Raffle bit.ly/1nEc6Mp @NDTix to Michigan & Stanford are up for grabs. Good luck! 1 hour ago
- With Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt off to the NFL, @S_NDbound_Day91 will be our next great DL #uNDerConsideration http://t.co/TFFNoAaNIY 5 hours ago
- RT @moosey2taasty: "You don't go to Notre Dame to learn something. You go to Notre Dame to be somebody." -Lou Holtz 7 hours ago
- Please keep #NDFBalum, and @HeismanTrophy winner, Johnny Lujack in your thoughts- bit.ly/1nDWkkv #NDFamily 7 hours ago
- First day of work for our @NDFBEquipment managers. Good luck! #NDFBFamily 12 hours ago
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23