Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Checking out FedEx Field on our way to the hotel. 26 hours to game time #BeatNavy #FridayFocus http://t.co/rDrmLvuWMa 6 hours ago
- The Irish have arrived in Washington D.C. #BeatNavy http://t.co/wsEA1VzXsS 7 hours ago
- DC bound. #BeatNavy vine.co/v/OOW0M36ZiPE 9 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: .@NDFootball @CoachBrianKelly is one of 13 coaches named to the watch list for the 2014 Dodd Trophy given to the nation'… 10 hours ago
- Sheriff Charlie Fiessinger, Drew Recker (Cowboy), Matthew Hegarty ( Football Player) Scott Daly (Tiger) Cam... vine.co/v/OOWhJY2JPIZ 11 hours ago
- W. Swimming. Irish Return Home For Hoosier State Showdown With No. 24 Purdue
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Head To Chicago For Playing For Peace Service Day
- M. Basketball. Tom Hawkins Set To Become Seventh Notre Dame Basketball Ring Of Honor Inductee
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: A Wall In Goal
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish Fifth, Men Finish Seventh At ACC Championships
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series