Sep 4, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
UNDerground blogger Craig Chval (’15) steps aside from his hockey coverage to offer this special contribution to the Strong and True blog.
My friends would not describe me as an optimistic person. That’s probably true in general, but when it comes to Notre Dame football, the idea is downright laughable.
To give you an example, I was at the Big House on Sept. 10 last year. I watched as the Irish cruised to a big lead, only to fall behind Michigan in the closing minutes. I watched as, improbably, Notre Dame drove down the field to retake the lead with just 30 seconds left.
I cheered, I yelled, I jumped up and down. I hugged people around me that I’d never seen before.
But the first words out of my mouth were, “There’s too much time left.”
Is there something wrong with me? Probably. But I was born in 1992, which means I was not even a year old when the Irish beat #1 Florida State in the “Game of the Century.” Yet I was in the stands for the “Bush Push” game. And the game that saw us lose to Navy for the first time in 44 years. And this game, and this game, and this game, and this game.
I have the Notre Dame expectations without the memory of what it’s like to truly be Notre Dame.
My sister Lauren recently wrote a blog about her anticipation of the season, comparing the night before the season opener to Christmas Eve. I found this to be an interesting metaphor, especially since a family friend of ours (let’s call him Sean) once compared Notre Dame football to Santa Claus.
“When you’re a kid, it’s all magical and exciting,” Sean said. “But then you grow up.”
As much as Lauren likes to pretend, she is a relatively new convert to ND football. Sure, she would watch the games as a kid, but it never ruined her week when the Irish lost. Notre Dame is still Santa Claus to her.
I woke up at 8:50 Saturday morning to dutifully watch my team’s season opener. Maybe it was the early hour, but I noticed that I didn’t have my usual pre-season jitters. “It’s just Navy,” I thought. “If we lose, it will suck, and if we win, it’s just Navy.” I had grown up.
Am I that jaded at age 19 that I no longer have the passion and excitement for Notre Dame that once defined my fall weekends?
Lauren wrote, “Let this year be the year.” My first reaction was, “No way. With a first-year quarterback and a young secondary? Not with this schedule.”
But maybe the trick to recapturing the magic of Notre Dame football isn’t to manage expectations. Maybe it’s to embrace the possibilities.
Let this year be the year. Let me believe in Santa Claus again.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
- RT @FightingIrish: Thurs is Blue-Gold Day at @Meijer on Grape Road, 5:30pm. @CoachBrianKelly will be signing autographs and you can win foo… 5 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: The Salt Lake Tribune's @mappelgate206 blogged for us on @ShowtimeTate. Where he's been, what he's done & what's next … 12 hours ago
- RT @MatthiasFarley: #bestdayever http://t.co/zfgUheDl9Z 13 hours ago
- Tomorrow is Blue-Gold Day at @Meijer on Grape Road at 5:30pm. @CoachBrianKelly will be signing autographs and you can win football tickets. 14 hours ago
- Today's the last day of Youth Camp, but the memories live on. Check out our Youth Camp FSA @Spotify playlist spoti.fi/14iGcZ7 #HitPlay 16 hours ago
- M. Soccer. Matt Besler And United States Lead Hexagonal With Four Matches Left
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart