Sep 5, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
On Monday, the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew posted the first Irish Connection video of the 2012 season – giving fans an inside look at Notre Dame’s trip to Dublin, where the Irish topped Navy, 50-10.
In the past, fellow Notre Dame blogger, Keith Arnold has featured second-by-second breakdowns of FIDM’s practice reports on his Inside The Irish blog.
Borrowing a page from Keith’s book, I’ve decided to do something similar for ICON. Without further ado…
0:00 – The cold open starts with an incredible angle – senior linebacker Manti Te’o getting ready for the game and amping up the ND crowd. “Let’s go!”
0:33 – The first touchdown of the 2012 season. Thank you, Theo Riddick.
0:43 – In 2011, George Atkinson III made a name for himself on kick returns, but we could be seeing much more like this over the next few seasons.
1:00 – Side note: How awesome do the uniforms look this year? I can’t wait to see the home blue jerseys along with the new pants and shining gold helmet in Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday.
1:18 – Riddick urging teammates to “put ‘em away” – something the Irish did when…
1:28 – …that new running back, I mean, 6-foot-6, 303-lb defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt took a fumble 77 yards to the house, giving Notre Dame a 27-0 lead.
1:56 – Fellow defensive lineman Kapron Lewis-Moore with a laugh out loud quote from this week’s ICON: “Hey Tuitt, I was tryin’ to run with you.”
2:09 – Love the intensity from KLM.
2:33 – Senior receiver Robby Toma shares a great moment with Coach Kelly, after scoring the first rushing touchdown of his career.
2:45 – Looks like Riddick has accepted Toma to “RBU” – Running Back University.
3:13 – Toma thanking his offensive linemen, as every running back should.
3:28 – “Love…thee…Notre…Dame…”
3:57 – Coach Kelly presenting game balls to the offensive and defensive lines for controlling the line of scrimmage. Captains Zack Martin and Kapron Lewis-Moore accept the honors for their respective position groups.
4:25 – “A lot of guys saw a lot of meaningful snaps.” You really can’t understate the importance of this, especially early in the season, for a team filled with young players.
5:30 – University President Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C. says a few words about the team and overall Ireland experience. Can’t agree more with Fr. Jenkins. The Dublin trip was incredible for everyone involved.
6:20 – Fr. Mark! (He was my rector during my freshman year at Keenan Hall.) Team Chaplain Rev. Mark Thesing, C.S.C. leads the team in prayer.
6:44 – As is tradition following an Irish victory, one of the players leads the team in the Notre Dame Victory March. In this case, Robby Toma.
7:17 – The last two minutes of this ICON include a montage from the weekend, featuring the song “Forever Irish” by Ken O’Malley.
7:25 – Nice mask, Mike.
7:28 – Temple Bar was the place to be in Dublin. Amazing to see how many Notre Dame fans were roaming around the area throughout the weekend.
7:47 – Members of the Notre Dame football team got pulled up on stage to join the Irish dancers at Taylors Three Rock.
7:50 – After Friday’s walkthrough, the players toured Dublin on double decker buses.
7:58 – In partnership with The Gathering Ireland, the university hosted quite an event on Friday night at The O2 – Notre Dame: A Welcome Home
8:23 – Some great time-lapse shots of Aviva Stadium.
8:30 – The Band of the Fighting Irish marching through Dublin prior to Saturday’s game.
8:46 – Following a 50-10 victory, the Irish joined their fans for the singing of the alma mater – “Notre Dame, Our Mother.”
Stay tuned for a new Irish Connection on Sunday following the Purdue game.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @1IrishChocolate: youtube.com/watch?v=sRyB8x… Path to Greatness -- Episode11: Louis Nix - Pro Day is No Joke 3 hours ago
- #NDDay Step 2- Gussy up your social media profiles with a new @ProudtobeND cover photo and wall paper- bit.ly/1gNMSDU #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- #NDDay is Sunday, and we want to make sure you are ready... Step 1- Be a Social Ambassador- proudtobe.nd.edu/SocialAmbassad… 7 hours ago
- Put May 4 in your calendar! It's our @UpliftingAth Bowling event. Register here- bit.ly/1tDEXlN Come bowl with us #NDFamily 1 day ago
- To everyone who suggested "my backyard" for their dream #ShamrockSeries location, let us know if you can fit 100,000 people there #LetsTalk 1 day ago
- M. Lacrosse. #9 Irish To Meet #5 Maryland Friday In ACC Semifinals
- M. Golf. Irish Ready For First ACC Championship
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet