Sep 12, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The Fighting Irish Digital Media crew posted the latest episode of Irish Connection on Tuesday evening, and like last week, here’s a more in depth breakdown of the video.
0:07 – In this week’s “cold open” captain defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore fires up the home crowd. In the background you’ll hear the popular Notre Dame anthem “Here Come The Irish” before the “I’m Shipping Up to Boston” starts up just before kickoff. Written by John Scully (’80), I believe that version of the song comes from this live performance by Cathy Richardson on the Notre Dame YouTube channel.
0:47 – From Friday’s football luncheon, head coach Brian Kelly talks about playing in front of the home crowd. Watch the full interview with Jack Nolan on the Notre Dame Athletics YouTube channel below.
1:05 – Freshman KeiVarae Russell talks about what it was like to visit Notre Dame Stadium last season when the Irish took on USC. Recruited as a running back, Russell was switched to cornerback during the summer, and has since taken over the starting role alongside junior Bennett Jackson.
1:26 – As a senior, Will Salvi walked on to the Notre Dame football team, following in the footsteps of his brother Chris. Last spring, Chris was awarded a scholarship for his final season with the Irish. Check out that announcement beginning at the 3:39 mark of the Winter Workout video below.
1:46 – Freshman safety Nicky Baratti saw time in Saturday’s game and made one tackle.
1:54 – Getting his first home start at quarterback, sophomore Everett Golson completed 21 of 31 passes for 289 yards. He threw for one touchdown and ran for another.
2:21 – Davonte’ Neal signed with the Irish three weeks after the usual National Signing Day. In his brief time at Notre Dame, the 5-foot-9 wide receiver/punt returner has shown that he is one of the most athletic players on the team.
2:37 – The Irish prepare in the locker room on Saturday.
2:56 – Will talks about what his brother Chris told him about playing in Notre Dame Stadium for the first time.
3:30 – As a spectator at Notre Dame Stadium, there’s nothing quite like the scene when the Fighting Irish emerge from the tunnel before the game. I can only imagine how special a feeling it must be for the players.
3:41 – Neal, Baratti, Russell and Salvi talk about the feeling of playing in Notre Dame Stadium for the first time. “One of the best experiences of my life,” Salvi says.
4:16 – Russell comes up with a sack late in the fourth quarter. He spoke more about the play after Tuesday’s practice.
4:37 – From Tuesday’s press conference, Coach Kelly comments on what Saturday meant to the first-year players.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Congratulations to our new @NDMonogram members #NDFamily #WeAreND http://t.co/7WCciIuecq 4 hours ago
- We don't know about you, but @DevinButler_12 & Max Redfield look like they are liking their new @NDMonogram jackets. http://t.co/1WvvO9EGeZ 5 hours ago
- Irish Legends Charity Event Set For May 15 bit.ly/P35Ejb Event features a star-studded Gala at Chicago's historic Drake Hotel. 5 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Not quite #tbt, but in honor of tonight, here’s a great pic from last spring. @RegBrooks40 @RomeoND45 @NickyBaratti http://… 7 hours ago
- Our first special edition @UpperDeckSports is revealed! @NDMikeBrey presented @NDJackNolan with his card mins ago. http://t.co/vuMAuLV1be 7 hours ago
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo
- W. Lacrosse. Molly Shawhan Selflessly Serves Society
- W. Basketball. McBride, Achonwa Selected In First Round Of 2014 WNBA Draft
- M. Basketball. Eric Atkins Nabs Notre Dame Monogram Club MVP Award
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Update: ACC Tournament Field Set
- Football. Irish Legends Charity Event Set For May 15
- Softball. Softball Game Against #7/8 Florida State Canceled
- Track. Four Notre Dame Athletes Win Events At Border Battle