Sep 12, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The Fighting Irish Digital Media crew posted the latest episode of Irish Connection on Tuesday evening, and like last week, here’s a more in depth breakdown of the video.
0:07 – In this week’s “cold open” captain defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore fires up the home crowd. In the background you’ll hear the popular Notre Dame anthem “Here Come The Irish” before the “I’m Shipping Up to Boston” starts up just before kickoff. Written by John Scully (’80), I believe that version of the song comes from this live performance by Cathy Richardson on the Notre Dame YouTube channel.
0:47 – From Friday’s football luncheon, head coach Brian Kelly talks about playing in front of the home crowd. Watch the full interview with Jack Nolan on the Notre Dame Athletics YouTube channel below.
1:05 – Freshman KeiVarae Russell talks about what it was like to visit Notre Dame Stadium last season when the Irish took on USC. Recruited as a running back, Russell was switched to cornerback during the summer, and has since taken over the starting role alongside junior Bennett Jackson.
1:26 – As a senior, Will Salvi walked on to the Notre Dame football team, following in the footsteps of his brother Chris. Last spring, Chris was awarded a scholarship for his final season with the Irish. Check out that announcement beginning at the 3:39 mark of the Winter Workout video below.
1:46 – Freshman safety Nicky Baratti saw time in Saturday’s game and made one tackle.
1:54 – Getting his first home start at quarterback, sophomore Everett Golson completed 21 of 31 passes for 289 yards. He threw for one touchdown and ran for another.
2:21 – Davonte’ Neal signed with the Irish three weeks after the usual National Signing Day. In his brief time at Notre Dame, the 5-foot-9 wide receiver/punt returner has shown that he is one of the most athletic players on the team.
2:37 – The Irish prepare in the locker room on Saturday.
2:56 – Will talks about what his brother Chris told him about playing in Notre Dame Stadium for the first time.
3:30 – As a spectator at Notre Dame Stadium, there’s nothing quite like the scene when the Fighting Irish emerge from the tunnel before the game. I can only imagine how special a feeling it must be for the players.
3:41 – Neal, Baratti, Russell and Salvi talk about the feeling of playing in Notre Dame Stadium for the first time. “One of the best experiences of my life,” Salvi says.
4:16 – Russell comes up with a sack late in the fourth quarter. He spoke more about the play after Tuesday’s practice.
4:37 – From Tuesday’s press conference, Coach Kelly comments on what Saturday meant to the first-year players.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Bye weeks can be tough. Get your afternoon Fighting Irish football fix & watch Reborn. vimeo.com/user17797751/r… http://t.co/mJrFsODgKP 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: It's GORGEOUS! @panoramascom has the photo shot before @NDFootball vs Michigan ready for sale- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 ht… 1 day ago
- Super SloMo footage to satisfy your bye-week-blues courtesy of @NDfidm . Watch now at watchnd.tv/#!/videos/5hc2… http://t.co/sIi2O7tARP 1 day ago
- Cody Riggs on the Irish starting the season 3-0. #PlayerProspective http://t.co/u1MHTXOGxl 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Notre Dame is 40-15 under @CoachBrianKelly -- 23 of those wins (57.5%) have come vs. teams that finished the season abov… 2 days ago
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Opens Fall Schedule With Two Invitationals
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women First, Men Second At National Catholic Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash