Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT
On the first night of autumn, The Four Seasons said it best. Oh, what a night in South Bend.
Notre Dame defeated Michigan for the first time since 2008, and perhaps even better, the Irish finished September with a perfect 4-0 record.
It was not always pretty – after all, the teams combined for eight turnovers – but the blue & gold prevailed, 13-6, in a hard fought battle at Notre Dame Stadium.
The 2012 Notre Dame defense continues to make its case as one of the best in the country. After Denard Robinson burned them for nearly 1,000 yards over the past two seasons, the Irish sacked the Wolverines quarterback three times and held Michigan to just 299 yards of total offense.
The stout defense forced six turnovers – including an unbelievable stretch in which it picked off five consecutive Michigan passes.
Following up on his unforgettable performance at Michigan State, Manti Te’o picked up where he left off, finishing with eight tackles and two interceptions.
After the game, it was a heck of a scene on the field, as the students and players celebrated like I’ve never seen before. Many fans stuck around for nearly a half hour, and the fun culminated when the stadium speakers started blaring Frankie Valli’s signature hit.
Soak it in, students. Dance all the way to Finny’s and The Backer. Enjoy this victory because it’s a night you should never forget.
We’ll have more coming later, but for now, enjoy a special game night edition of Irish Connection, as well as a post-game on-field interview with cornerback Bennett Jackson.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- #NDDay Step 2- Gussy up your social media profiles with a new @ProudtobeND cover photo and wall paper- bit.ly/1gNMSDU #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- #NDDay is Sunday, and we want to make sure you are ready... Step 1- Be a Social Ambassador- proudtobe.nd.edu/SocialAmbassad… 2 hours ago
- Put May 4 in your calendar! It's our @UpliftingAth Bowling event. Register here- bit.ly/1tDEXlN Come bowl with us #NDFamily 19 hours ago
- To everyone who suggested "my backyard" for their dream #ShamrockSeries location, let us know if you can fit 100,000 people there #LetsTalk 21 hours ago
- We can't wait to see this enthusiasm for the #ShamrockSeries at @LucasOilStadium next year. #GoIrish 22 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan