Sep 24, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
If you are an Irish fan among the 80,795 who were at Notre Dame Stadium this weekend, Saturday night was one you won’t soon forget. From the impressive play of the defense to the unforgettable post-game celebration, there was much to be commemorated in Notre Dame’s 13-6 victory over Michigan.
One of the ways you can remember the game is through the high-resolution 360-degree photo that was taken during the first quarter. This morning, the 125 Year Celebration Interactive Photo – Presented by South Bend Airport was published on the 125 website (125.nd.edu/pano).
Shot from near the north side of the flower box on the visitor’s sideline, you can explore the interactive photo, find and tag yourself, share with friends, and enter to win prizes by visiting the website.
On Friday afternoon, I caught up with the photographer and learned some interesting facts about the interactive photo (sometimes referred to as a gigapixel).
The image is taken from a controller that is set to automatically shoot at a pre-determined overlap of 20%.
Similar to how a panoramic image is stitched together, creating a gigapixel requires more than just the click of a button. While the finished product looks like a single super-high-resolution photo, it is more than 1,000 images, at approximately 24 megabytes each.
From the first shot to the very last image, it takes about a half hour to capture, so unlike the minute or two it might take to create a panorama on your iPhone, preparing the gigapixel image requires significant production time. A team of three works between 12-15 hours (sometimes more) editing, stitching and arranging the photos to make sure everything lines up correctly.
While the average point & shoot digital camera might take pictures between 12-16 megapixels, the interactive photo is 18 gigapixels. That’s 1,800 megapixels for those of you keeping track at home.
In addition to the interactive photo, a panoramic shot was taken from atop the east side of the stadium, across from the press box. Both framed and unframed panoramic photos can be purchased through the 125.nd.edu/pano page.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Undefeated Season Similarities
Length: 2:33 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: South FLorida bound!! #Go Irish 1 hour ago
- Junior WR DaVaris Daniels is taking a larger role as a team leader among the wide receiver group. @NDFIDM interview- bit.ly/17YgkH0 1 hour ago
- Brand new avatar alert! Follow @CoachTonyAlford to check it out, and to find out #WhereInTheWorldIs Coach Alford #SafeTravels #NDFBFamily 2 hours ago
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Nashville, TN bound!! #Go Irish 1 day ago
- Let's go @NDLacrosse! #TuneIn on @ESPNU #NDFamily #GoIrish #BeatBlueDevils 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip