Oct 14, 2012, 12:22 AM EDT
This day was spectacular. It was a classic. Today is the kind that makes you look back and say wistfully, “Those were the days.” Isn’t that a strange thought? Right now, we are in the middle of living “the days.” How many times in your life have you been consciously aware of living in a spectacular moment?
The greatness of today comes in two parts: College GameDay and Beating Stanford. GameDay may have been eclipsed by the magic of our actual game day, but it was something special in and of itself.
It’s easy to ask, what’s the big deal with College GameDay? A crowd of people stands out in an open area for several hours to yell on cue and strain to hear the words of a broadcast they could much more easily watch from the (dis)comfort of their futon. Why all the hype?
The funny this is, the hype is the hype. Four weeks ago, when we beat Michigan State, GameDay commentator Kirk Herbstreit made the comment that this Notre Dame team is “relevant.” We took that phrase and ran with it. “Relevancy” has become the mantra of this team, this student body, and this season.
Here we are, four weeks later, and now Herbstreit came here. He came here, along with Lee Corso and Chris Fowler and Desmond Howard and entire crew of people from ESPN. College GameDay does not come to your campus unless your campus is the place to be. Notre Dame took that little comment of “relevant” and exploded it into a presence that demands the attention of college football. College GameDay deserved the hype from us because we earned the hype from them. We made a big deal about it because its very existence on our campus proved we are a big deal.
Although College GameDay is a media broadcast, its members of the media have made themselves famous. On Friday, I waited with members of South Bend local media to meet and interview the GameDay crew. Media interviewing media. Campus got excited over the nearness of these semi-stars.
But I’ll tell you, the real stars of College GameDay today were the Notre Dame fans. I was at GameDay last year in Ann Arbor, and my completely biased opinion is that Michigan did not have one-tenth the authority that we had today. As I stood in the staging area of the set—maybe ten yards from Corso and Herbstreit—I could not hear a single thing above the roar of the crowd. It seemed like the commentators could barely hear each other. Our crowd sang, chanted, cheered, yelled, and waved signs during every moment of the broadcast—not just when we were on screen.
When the GameDay crew started talking about how good Stanford’s offense is, the crowd started chanting “Manti Te’o” in response. The noise was deafening. Nothing about the brilliance of Stanford’s offense could be heard over the wall of sound coming from the Notre Dame fans.
Manti Te’o. Manti Te’o. Manti Te’o.
I was grinning involuntarily. I probably looked like an insane person. And in the middle of that chant, Herbstreit looked up, and I swear he made eye contact with me. Amidst the swell of Notre Dame passion, he smiled too.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: The Salt Lake Tribune's @mappelgate206 blogged for us on @ShowtimeTate. Where he's been, what he's done & what's next … 2 hours ago
- RT @MatthiasFarley: #bestdayever http://t.co/zfgUheDl9Z 3 hours ago
- Tomorrow is Blue-Gold Day at @Meijer on Grape Road at 5:30pm. @CoachBrianKelly will be signing autographs and you can win football tickets. 4 hours ago
- Today's the last day of Youth Camp, but the memories live on. Check out our Youth Camp FSA @Spotify playlist spoti.fi/14iGcZ7 #HitPlay 6 hours ago
- .@DPFoxy signing autographs for #NDFBCamps #NDFamily http://t.co/f5AvNI62WA 6 hours ago
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Track. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart