Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
With the fourth quarter beginning and the Irish trailing 20-6, I thought about all the dreams that were in serious jeopardy.
A national championship.
Manti Te’o for Heisman.
Mark May dancing merrily in a leprechaun suit.
Turnovers, penalties, a (correctly) reversed touchdown call, countless missed opportunities.
Today just seemed like one of those games that Notre Dame wasn’t meant to win. Visions of 1993 and 2002 haunted fans throughout the stadium and around the world.
But once again, we should have never doubted the 2012 Fighting Irish.
Some time down the road, books will be written about this Notre Dame football season and tonight, the blue and gold added another chapter to what’s shaping up to be a longer epic than any of those childhood classics penned by J.K. Rowling.
In stunning triple-overtime fashion, the Fighting Irish defeated Pittsburgh, 29-26, improving to 9-0 and keeping their BCS championship hopes alive.
Game in and game out, quarterback Everett Golson continues to grow into a promising young leader of the Irish offense. In the fourth quarter, the freshman helped lead a 14-point Notre Dame rally, the program’s largest since 2006. Three overtimes later, he dove into the end zone for the winning score, sending 80,795 tense fans, into yet another end of game frenzy.
The last time Notre Dame had a chance at the coveted crystal ball this late into the season? 1993. I was four years old.
Week after week, victory after victory, I’ve asked myself if I’m going to wake up one day and this will have all been a dream.
But it’s not. It’s been a magical run, a wild ride and a season none of us will soon forget. Get ready, because it may get even crazier before all is said and done.
More coming soon. For now, here are the highlights and post-game interviews from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- A big congrats to the bus! @JeromeBettis36 has been named @WalterCampFF Man of the Year! und.com/sports/m-footb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: It's time for @CoachBrianKelly's Radio Show at O'Rourke's! Come down or tune in on @WatchND- ntrda.me/1yJkyNj #GoI… 9 hours ago
- Good week of practice vs the option is done but Saturday we see only one option -win! #BeatNavy http://t.co/s1dRiA1toU 10 hours ago
- Notre Dame knows it’s always “Game On” when facing Navy, writes @RalloIrishExtra und.com/sports/m-footb… 11 hours ago
- RT @Redskins: #TBT to Joe Theismann's Notre Dame days. See @NDFootball play at #FedExField on 11/1 live: oak.ctx.ly/r/1ym02 http://t.co… 12 hours ago
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Update: Crunching The Numbers From Virginia
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish Picked Seventh In ACC Preseason Poll
- General News. Notre Dame Wins 8th Straight National Title in Graduation Based on 2014 NCAA Graduation Success Rate Numbers