Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
With the fourth quarter beginning and the Irish trailing 20-6, I thought about all the dreams that were in serious jeopardy.
A national championship.
Manti Te’o for Heisman.
Mark May dancing merrily in a leprechaun suit.
Turnovers, penalties, a (correctly) reversed touchdown call, countless missed opportunities.
Today just seemed like one of those games that Notre Dame wasn’t meant to win. Visions of 1993 and 2002 haunted fans throughout the stadium and around the world.
But once again, we should have never doubted the 2012 Fighting Irish.
Some time down the road, books will be written about this Notre Dame football season and tonight, the blue and gold added another chapter to what’s shaping up to be a longer epic than any of those childhood classics penned by J.K. Rowling.
In stunning triple-overtime fashion, the Fighting Irish defeated Pittsburgh, 29-26, improving to 9-0 and keeping their BCS championship hopes alive.
Game in and game out, quarterback Everett Golson continues to grow into a promising young leader of the Irish offense. In the fourth quarter, the freshman helped lead a 14-point Notre Dame rally, the program’s largest since 2006. Three overtimes later, he dove into the end zone for the winning score, sending 80,795 tense fans, into yet another end of game frenzy.
The last time Notre Dame had a chance at the coveted crystal ball this late into the season? 1993. I was four years old.
Week after week, victory after victory, I’ve asked myself if I’m going to wake up one day and this will have all been a dream.
But it’s not. It’s been a magical run, a wild ride and a season none of us will soon forget. Get ready, because it may get even crazier before all is said and done.
More coming soon. For now, here are the highlights and post-game interviews from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: It's GORGEOUS! @panoramascom has the photo shot before @NDFootball vs Michigan ready for sale- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 ht… 14 hours ago
- Super SloMo footage to satisfy your bye-week-blues courtesy of @NDfidm . Watch now at watchnd.tv/#!/videos/5hc2… http://t.co/sIi2O7tARP 15 hours ago
- Cody Riggs on the Irish starting the season 3-0. #PlayerProspective http://t.co/u1MHTXOGxl 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Notre Dame is 40-15 under @CoachBrianKelly -- 23 of those wins (57.5%) have come vs. teams that finished the season abov… 1 day ago
- A host of freshmen have been making an impact already this fall. @d_TraNquill is one of them. und.com/sports/m-footb… 2 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame-North Carolina Rivalry Revisited
- Cross Country. IRISH EXTRA: National Catholic Championships A Special Occasion For Large And Small Schools Alike