Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
With the fourth quarter beginning and the Irish trailing 20-6, I thought about all the dreams that were in serious jeopardy.
A national championship.
Manti Te’o for Heisman.
Mark May dancing merrily in a leprechaun suit.
Turnovers, penalties, a (correctly) reversed touchdown call, countless missed opportunities.
Today just seemed like one of those games that Notre Dame wasn’t meant to win. Visions of 1993 and 2002 haunted fans throughout the stadium and around the world.
But once again, we should have never doubted the 2012 Fighting Irish.
Some time down the road, books will be written about this Notre Dame football season and tonight, the blue and gold added another chapter to what’s shaping up to be a longer epic than any of those childhood classics penned by J.K. Rowling.
In stunning triple-overtime fashion, the Fighting Irish defeated Pittsburgh, 29-26, improving to 9-0 and keeping their BCS championship hopes alive.
Game in and game out, quarterback Everett Golson continues to grow into a promising young leader of the Irish offense. In the fourth quarter, the freshman helped lead a 14-point Notre Dame rally, the program’s largest since 2006. Three overtimes later, he dove into the end zone for the winning score, sending 80,795 tense fans, into yet another end of game frenzy.
The last time Notre Dame had a chance at the coveted crystal ball this late into the season? 1993. I was four years old.
Week after week, victory after victory, I’ve asked myself if I’m going to wake up one day and this will have all been a dream.
But it’s not. It’s been a magical run, a wild ride and a season none of us will soon forget. Get ready, because it may get even crazier before all is said and done.
More coming soon. For now, here are the highlights and post-game interviews from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Reset your clock RT @FightingIrish: DYK This week's #NDFBClassics has been moved to Friday at 12pm ET? ND vs USC '95 http://t.co/V9QfkJVxgH 12 hours ago
- RT @NDTIX: ICYMI: Join @NDFootball at the @DeBartoloArtsND & walk the red carpet for the Echoes Football Awards Banquet. #IRISH http://t.co… 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@NDFootball's Weekly presser begins at 12pm ET. Let's talk USC- ntrda.me/1xS7YwF #GoIrish #BeatTrojans 15 hours ago
- RT @LTorbin: Just about time for @CoachBrianKelly's weekly press conference. Catch it live @WatchND http://t.co/0c0LyuiqOh 15 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: .@NDFootball shares American Football Coaches Association’s 2014 Academic Achievement Award. 9th time ND has won awa… 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Chicago State Men's Basketball Game Moved To 1:00 pm(ET) Start Time On Saturday
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face Grambling State
- Football. Brian Kelly USC Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. USC Game Notes
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame Advances In The Rain
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Cap Off Busy Seven-Day Stretch Against Quinnipiac
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Huffman Finding Her Role
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 97, Harvard 43
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Notre Dame Rolls Past Harvard, 97-43