Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
With the fourth quarter beginning and the Irish trailing 20-6, I thought about all the dreams that were in serious jeopardy.
A national championship.
Manti Te’o for Heisman.
Mark May dancing merrily in a leprechaun suit.
Turnovers, penalties, a (correctly) reversed touchdown call, countless missed opportunities.
Today just seemed like one of those games that Notre Dame wasn’t meant to win. Visions of 1993 and 2002 haunted fans throughout the stadium and around the world.
But once again, we should have never doubted the 2012 Fighting Irish.
Some time down the road, books will be written about this Notre Dame football season and tonight, the blue and gold added another chapter to what’s shaping up to be a longer epic than any of those childhood classics penned by J.K. Rowling.
In stunning triple-overtime fashion, the Fighting Irish defeated Pittsburgh, 29-26, improving to 9-0 and keeping their BCS championship hopes alive.
Game in and game out, quarterback Everett Golson continues to grow into a promising young leader of the Irish offense. In the fourth quarter, the freshman helped lead a 14-point Notre Dame rally, the program’s largest since 2006. Three overtimes later, he dove into the end zone for the winning score, sending 80,795 tense fans, into yet another end of game frenzy.
The last time Notre Dame had a chance at the coveted crystal ball this late into the season? 1993. I was four years old.
Week after week, victory after victory, I’ve asked myself if I’m going to wake up one day and this will have all been a dream.
But it’s not. It’s been a magical run, a wild ride and a season none of us will soon forget. Get ready, because it may get even crazier before all is said and done.
More coming soon. For now, here are the highlights and post-game interviews from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Danny Spond @DSpond13 has started a new organization, "Undefeated" Website- beundefeated.org Twitter @BeUndefeated #NDFollowFriday 2 hours ago
- .@GameDayND is putting up the best moments of this season. Give them a follow and look for #ND2013Fav #NDFollowFriday #NDFamily 5 hours ago
- RT @gamedayND: #NDvsTemple DaVaris Daniels grabbed two 32 yd passes from Tommy Rees in the 1st quarter of the home opener #ND2013fav http:/… 5 hours ago
- New Strong & True from @NDFIDM! Zack Martin: Record Start bit.ly/1cq6ZJb #GoIrish #NDFBFamily 7 hours ago
- New sale from the online store- bit.ly/1eW3oTq Until Dec 8th, get 15-40% off sweatshirts and jackets, 20% off headwear #GetYours 21 hours ago
- W. Tennis. Doing It All
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Adds Five During Early-Signing Period
- Track. Track And Field Heads To ACC With Conference And National Goals In Mind
- W. Swimming. Irish Close Out Fall At Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Track and Field Kick Off Seasons With Blue & Gold Invitational This Weekend
- Fencing. TBT: On Throw Back Thursday, What To Be Thankful For
- M. Soccer. Irish And Spartans To Battle For College Cup Bid
- M. Ice Hockey. Crashing The Crease
- M. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Fall Schedule At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame To Face Denver In Inaugural Pacific Coast Shootout