Nov 13, 2012, 9:05 AM EST
Well, there’s not much to discuss in the way of “Tradition Tuesday” this week.
There is no rivalry trophy, no string of last-second finishes, and no comparison between the universities’ football accomplishments. Wake Forest’s athletic program is probably most known for producing NBA stars Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, rather than Heisman Trophy winners.
The Fighting Irish and Demon Deacons have only met once on the football field (last November).
This season, Notre Dame and Wake Forest enter the game with very different aspirations. At 10-0, the Fighting Irish are part of the national championship conversation. On the other hand, the Demon Deacons are 5-5, seeking to spoil Notre Dame’s perfect season, and earn a spot in a bowl game for the second consecutive year.
Though the football programs couldn’t be more different, there are a few connections between the institutions. Like Notre Dame, Wake Forest is a small private university. With an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 4,400, it’s about half the size of Notre Dame. It is the third-smallest FBS school and the smallest in a BCS automatic-qualifier conference.
Wake Forest University president Nathan O. Hatch joined the Notre Dame faculty in 1975 and also served as the provost from 1996-2005. After spending 30 years in South Bend, Dr. Hatch began his current appointment in Oct. 2005.
Notre Dame Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick‘s oldest son is a 2011 Wake Forest graduate. Head football equipment manager Ryan Grooms was a student manager for Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe while at Ohio University. Before coming to Notre Dame in 2006, assistant media relations director Michael Bertsch worked in a similar capacity at Wake Forest.
It doesn’t have the history of next week’s matchup at USC, but to date, it’s the biggest game of the 2012 season. That’s how it works when you’re undefeated, no matter the opponent.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Happy Thanksgiving from your Notre Dame Fighting Irish http://t.co/0nu8WpjQ9J 3 hours ago
- Training table staff getting prepped for Thanksgiving dinner. Enough pie for the whole team. #Thanksgiving http://t.co/4ptwpYmCbL 3 hours ago
- With 10 tackles, Robert Blanton is your #IrishintheNFL, player of the week. http://t.co/Xja0gfGRcs 1 day ago
- Reset your clock RT @FightingIrish: DYK This week's #NDFBClassics has been moved to Friday at 12pm ET? ND vs USC '95 http://t.co/V9QfkJVxgH 2 days ago
- RT @NDTIX: ICYMI: Join @NDFootball at the @DeBartoloArtsND & walk the red carpet for the Echoes Football Awards Banquet. #IRISH http://t.co… 2 days ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Cruises Past Grambling State, 81-54
- M. Ice Hockey. It's Shillelagh Tournament Time
- M. Soccer. Patrick Hodan And Luke Mishu Named Academic All-Americans
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Women's Hoops Learning It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome ACC Foe Pitt For Senior Day Friday Afternoon
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2/1 Notre Dame 112, Quinnipiac 52
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2/1 Irish Breeze Past Quinnipiac, 112-52