Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
Notre Dame is now 11-0 and ranked No. 1 in the latest BCS standings following a 38-0 victory over Wake Forest. It was the first shutout victory for the Irish in the Brian Kelly era, and the largest margin of victory in a shutout for Notre Dame since a 42-0 win over Rutgers in 2002.
The Irish offense scored touchdowns on each of its first three drives, and averaged at least 10 yards per play on four of its first five possessions. With 3:30 left in the third quarter, the Irish offense had outgained Wake Forest by nearly 400 yards and Notre Dame was able to coast the rest of the way to victory.
Notre Dame’s defense kept Wake Forest out of scoring range all day. Only two Wake Forest first downs occurred in Irish territory, both coming on an 11-play, 41-yard drive that ended in a punt. The Irish extended their streak of not giving up a touchdown on drives started at or inside the opponent’s own 40-yard line — only one touchdown has been surrendered on 105 opportunities, and the Irish have turned away 99 straight.
The Irish defense also held Wake Forest to 18.1 points below their FBS scoring average. It was the ninth game this season in which a Notre Dame opponent was held at least 10 points below its scoring average, and the sixth time the opponent was held at least 15 points below its scoring average. On the season, Notre Dame opponents are scoring 15.6 points fewer against the Irish than their FBS scoring average, the third best rate nationally. As illustrated in the chart above, it is the best mark posted by a Notre Dame defense in the last 25 years.
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame defeated three teams in the final BCS Top 25. Only Auburn and Stanford won more. 4 hours ago
- Plenty of interviews for ND today. You can watch Brian Kelly here. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/tucz… And student-athletes here: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/9pbD… 8 hours ago
- RT @NDHeisler: Notre Dame's schedule finished as 17th most difficult in nation (opponents 75-53 for .586). Auburn schedule ranked 10th, Flo… 9 hours ago
- The Irish will be ranked for the @PinstripeBowl as Notre Dame returns to the @AP_Top25 at No. 25. #GoIrish 12 hours ago
- For @NDTix to the @PinstripeBowl, click here- bit.ly/IJv1n3 (Desktop Only) #GoIrish #BeatKnights 13 hours ago
- M. Swimming. Irish Secure Wire-To-Wire Hawkeye Invitational Title
- W. Swimming. Irish Complete Convincing Win At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Back At It On Monday Against Bryant
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Massachusetts Goal Sends Irish To Defeat, 3-2
- W. Swimming. Irish Extend Lead With Solid Saturday At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Notes