Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Notre Dame is now 11-0 and ranked No. 1 in the latest BCS standings following a 38-0 victory over Wake Forest. It was the first shutout victory for the Irish in the Brian Kelly era, and the largest margin of victory in a shutout for Notre Dame since a 42-0 win over Rutgers in 2002.
The Irish offense scored touchdowns on each of its first three drives, and averaged at least 10 yards per play on four of its first five possessions. With 3:30 left in the third quarter, the Irish offense had outgained Wake Forest by nearly 400 yards and Notre Dame was able to coast the rest of the way to victory.
Notre Dame’s defense kept Wake Forest out of scoring range all day. Only two Wake Forest first downs occurred in Irish territory, both coming on an 11-play, 41-yard drive that ended in a punt. The Irish extended their streak of not giving up a touchdown on drives started at or inside the opponent’s own 40-yard line — only one touchdown has been surrendered on 105 opportunities, and the Irish have turned away 99 straight.
The Irish defense also held Wake Forest to 18.1 points below their FBS scoring average. It was the ninth game this season in which a Notre Dame opponent was held at least 10 points below its scoring average, and the sixth time the opponent was held at least 15 points below its scoring average. On the season, Notre Dame opponents are scoring 15.6 points fewer against the Irish than their FBS scoring average, the third best rate nationally. As illustrated in the chart above, it is the best mark posted by a Notre Dame defense in the last 25 years.
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The Fighting Irish come in at No. 10 in the first @CFBPlayoff Top 25 rankings. 1 day ago
- Here we go @NDFootball fans! @CFBPlayoff Top 25 about to be announced. 1 day ago
- Looking good @IWilliams95! RT @49ers: Paid homage to alma maters with college-themed team pic. 49rs.co/ubcrHM pic.twitter.com/5jCbYvBZ23 1 day ago
- "They do what they do better than anyone can defend it. So you have to change up your looks." @CoachBrianKelly on defending option vs Navy 1 day ago
- "Corners and Safeties need to do a great job at using their hands" @CoachBrianKelly on DB's on the perimeter defending the cut block vs Navy 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Update: Crunching The Numbers From Virginia
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish Picked Seventh In ACC Preseason Poll
- General News. Notre Dame Wins 8th Straight National Title in Graduation Based on 2014 NCAA Graduation Success Rate Numbers
- Cross Country. Fall Break Getaway Provides Irish A Chance To Recharge Before Championship Season
- Baseball. Blue-Gold Baseball Series Set For This Weekend
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Play Host To #12 Michigan State On Wednesday
- Football. Brian Kelly Navy Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. #6/7 Notre Dame Vs. Navy Game Notes