Nov 27, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
When the season began on Sept. 1, Notre Dame wasn’t even ranked in the Associated Press poll. Yet today, less than three months later, the Fighting Irish are the #1 football team in the country. Presumptively, there’s a spot waiting for them in the national title game on Jan. 7 in Miami.
Notre Dame’s ascent to the top of the rankings is one of this year’s feel-good college football stories. In his Ken Burns-esque essay today, ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski says a standing ovation is in order.
While you’re at it, check out Gregg Easterbrook’s article on why Notre Dame should be celebrated.
In recent years, Stanford has been close to the top for combination of poll rankings and graduation rates, showing that low standards are not needed to win football games. But Notre Dame is first to be a double No. 1, on the field and in the classroom. Hearty congratulations are due to coach Brian Kelly, Notre Dame president John Jenkins, and the Fighting Irish team.
Click here to read the rest of the article.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Picked To Finish Third In Hockey East Preseason Coaches' Poll
- M. Golf. Irish Close With 11th Place Finish At Windon Memorial Classic
- M. Soccer. Irish Insight: Road Swing Ends With Four Points In ACC Play
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Knocks Off No. 6 Jared Hiltzik Sunday In Illinois
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Draws At #5 Virginia, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- Compton Family Ice Arena. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Lessons From The North Carolina Match
- W. Volleyball. No. 11 Purdue Takes Down Notre Dame, 3-0