Nov 27, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
When the season began on Sept. 1, Notre Dame wasn’t even ranked in the Associated Press poll. Yet today, less than three months later, the Fighting Irish are the #1 football team in the country. Presumptively, there’s a spot waiting for them in the national title game on Jan. 7 in Miami.
Notre Dame’s ascent to the top of the rankings is one of this year’s feel-good college football stories. In his Ken Burns-esque essay today, ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski says a standing ovation is in order.
While you’re at it, check out Gregg Easterbrook’s article on why Notre Dame should be celebrated.
In recent years, Stanford has been close to the top for combination of poll rankings and graduation rates, showing that low standards are not needed to win football games. But Notre Dame is first to be a double No. 1, on the field and in the classroom. Hearty congratulations are due to coach Brian Kelly, Notre Dame president John Jenkins, and the Fighting Irish team.
Click here to read the rest of the article.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll