Dec 3, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
But it was Brady Quinn, whose post-game comments have us most proud to call him one of our own.
On the day after his teammate Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, before taking his own life outside of Arrowhead Stadium, Quinn completed 19 of 23 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns, leading the Kansas City Chiefs to a 27-21 victory over Carolina.
After the game, the former Irish quarterback was asked about the emotion in the locker room. In the most difficult of situations for Quinn and his teammates, his poignant response really makes you stop and think.
It was tough. I think it was an eerie feeling after a win because you don’t think that you can win in this situation. The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people. I know when it happened, I was sitting and, in my head, thinking “what could I have done differently?”
When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth? We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that’s fine, but we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have right in front of us.
Hopefully people can learn from this and try to actually figure out if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they are revealing on a day-to-day basis.
Quinn has always been a Notre Dame man, and his response yesterday, finding the right words in a time of tragedy, is another example of why he’s a standout representative of the university.
Watch the video on KCChiefs.com. (The question starts around the 4:20 mark, but the entire video is definitely worth your time).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Danny Spond @DSpond13 has started a new organization, "Undefeated" Website- beundefeated.org Twitter @BeUndefeated #NDFollowFriday 11 hours ago
- .@GameDayND is putting up the best moments of this season. Give them a follow and look for #ND2013Fav #NDFollowFriday #NDFamily 15 hours ago
- RT @gamedayND: #NDvsTemple DaVaris Daniels grabbed two 32 yd passes from Tommy Rees in the 1st quarter of the home opener #ND2013fav http:/… 15 hours ago
- New Strong & True from @NDFIDM! Zack Martin: Record Start bit.ly/1cq6ZJb #GoIrish #NDFBFamily 17 hours ago
- New sale from the online store- bit.ly/1eW3oTq Until Dec 8th, get 15-40% off sweatshirts and jackets, 20% off headwear #GetYours 1 day ago
- W. Swimming. Irish Impress On Day One Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Swimming. Irish Set Three Records, Hold Lead After Day One Of Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Notre Dame Starts the Season Strong At Blue & Gold Invitational
- W. Basketball. #4/5 Irish Back Home For Saturday Matinee Against UCLA
- M. Basketball. Irish to Open Gotham Classic at Home vs. Delaware
- W. Tennis. Doing It All
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Adds Five During Early-Signing Period
- Track. Track And Field Heads To ACC With Conference And National Goals In Mind
- W. Swimming. Irish Close Out Fall At Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Track and Field Kick Off Seasons With Blue & Gold Invitational This Weekend