Dec 5, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
The hardware kept rolling in for the Fighting Irish on Wednesday.
Tyler Eifert was named the 2012 recipient of the John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end. The Fort Wayne, Ind. native had 44 receptions for 624 yards and four touchdowns in 12 games. During Notre Dame’s game against Wake Forest, he became the Fighting Irish’s all-time leading receiver among tight ends, and currently has 134 career receptions.
Additionally, head coach Brian Kelly was chosen as the 2012 Home Depot Coach of the Year Award. He will become the first two-time recipient when he receives the honor at tomorrow’s 2012 Home Depot College Football Awards, which will be broadcast on ESPN beginning at 7:30 pm ET (He also won the award in 2009 while at Cincinnati).
At last night’s National Football Foundation (NFF) Awards Dinner, Te’o was a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy. Known as the “Academic Heisman,” the award went to Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones.
Along with Jones, Te’o is one of four finalists for the Lombardi Award, presented tonight in Houston, to the best college football lineman or linebacker. Should Te’o win, he would become the first Irish player to receive the award since Aaron Taylor in 1993. Stay tuned to @NDHardin for his “Travels with Te’o” during his hectic awards tour.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Put May 4 in your calendar! It's our @UpliftingAth Bowling event. Register here- bit.ly/1tDEXlN Come bowl with us #NDFamily 3 hours ago
- To everyone who suggested "my backyard" for their dream #ShamrockSeries location, let us know if you can fit 100,000 people there #LetsTalk 5 hours ago
- We can't wait to see this enthusiasm for the #ShamrockSeries at @LucasOilStadium next year. #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- Dream #ShamrockSeries locations went from San Diego, to The Superdome in New Orleans, to Wembley Arena in England, to Vatican City. 6 hours ago
- We've looked at the votes for YOUR dream #ShamrockSeries game location and the suggestions were all over the map! 6 hours ago
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship