Dec 5, 2012, 2:58 PM EST
The hardware kept rolling in for the Fighting Irish on Wednesday.
Tyler Eifert was named the 2012 recipient of the John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end. The Fort Wayne, Ind. native had 44 receptions for 624 yards and four touchdowns in 12 games. During Notre Dame’s game against Wake Forest, he became the Fighting Irish’s all-time leading receiver among tight ends, and currently has 134 career receptions.
Additionally, head coach Brian Kelly was chosen as the 2012 Home Depot Coach of the Year Award. He will become the first two-time recipient when he receives the honor at tomorrow’s 2012 Home Depot College Football Awards, which will be broadcast on ESPN beginning at 7:30 pm ET (He also won the award in 2009 while at Cincinnati).
At last night’s National Football Foundation (NFF) Awards Dinner, Te’o was a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy. Known as the “Academic Heisman,” the award went to Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones.
Along with Jones, Te’o is one of four finalists for the Lombardi Award, presented tonight in Houston, to the best college football lineman or linebacker. Should Te’o win, he would become the first Irish player to receive the award since Aaron Taylor in 1993. Stay tuned to @NDHardin for his “Travels with Te’o” during his hectic awards tour.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finished Northwestern Duals With Perfect 13-0 Mark
- Football. Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown Named to Pro Football Hall of Fame
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Wins, 5-3; Earns Split With UNH
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Wins Over Missouri State and Incarnate Word, Swims to Second against Iowa
- W. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Winning Weekend With Exciting Senior Day
- Track. Harris Sets Another Record As Irish Conclude Razorback Invitational
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Putting Power Back into Power Play
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Host Wake Forest Sunday In Pink Zone Game
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Postgame Notes