Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Cody Riggs on the Irish starting the season 3-0. #PlayerProspective http://t.co/u1MHTXOGxl 7 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Notre Dame is 40-15 under @CoachBrianKelly -- 23 of those wins (57.5%) have come vs. teams that finished the season abov… 10 hours ago
- A host of freshmen have been making an impact already this fall. @d_TraNquill is one of them. und.com/sports/m-footb… 1 day ago
- Watch the behind the scenes footage of the @NavyLeapFrogs at #UnderTheLights vs Michigan watchnd.tv/#!/videos/dvaj… http://t.co/3fVmiGDlct 2 days ago
- On a busy day for ND in the NFL news, don’t miss this @Vikings video calling @HarriSmith22 an “emerging star” vikings.com/media-vault/vi… 2 days ago
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame-North Carolina Rivalry Revisited
- Cross Country. IRISH EXTRA: National Catholic Championships A Special Occasion For Large And Small Schools Alike
- M. Ice Hockey. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
- Softball. Irish Softball To Play Six Fall Games At Melissa Cook Stadium
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Teams To Take Part In Youth Soccer Month
- Football. Drue Tranquill Making An Impact