Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @seniorbowl: .@OSUBeaversFB QB Sean Mannion tosses a short TD pass to @NDFootball TE Ben Koyack of Notre Dame. 10-7 North, 12:23 in 2nd 23 hours ago
- Make sure to catch @koymonster in today's @seniorbowl. @nflnetwork will televise live at 3 pm ET #WeAreND http://t.co/qLx7Bwn4uQ 1 day ago
- We are counting down the days to Signing Day and @CoachTonyAlford sits down with @NDfidm in prep for the big day http://t.co/hT5npZ9bAl 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: 7 WRs in @NDFootball history named consensus All-Americans. How did their so. yrs compare to Will Fuller's so. 2014? htt… 2 days ago
- Congratulations to @CoachBrianKelly #GoIrish http://t.co/GRd56ceAbq 3 days ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #6/5 Notre Dame 74, Clemson 36
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads #6/5 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Clip No. 24 Cowboys 4-3 In ITA Kick-Off Opener
- M. Basketball. #8/9 Notre Dame Travels To NC State For Sunday Showdown
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Goal Lifts Northeastern Past Notre Dame, 3-2
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Mabrey Helps Irish East Past Georgia Tech
- Baseball. IRISH EXTRA: The Influence of a Baseball Hall of Famer