Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: 30 days till @NDFootball officially starts. Our tunnel run will be a little different. #GoIrish watchnd.tv/#!/videos/9vbT… 7 hours ago
- Exactly one month from right now we'll be running out of this tunnel onto our new field! #GoIrish http://t.co/YYq1HBZdS3 9 hours ago
- DaVaris Daniels (@DaVarisDaniels) gives us one of the top receiving threats in college football #uNDerConsideration http://t.co/l5JVAjQAhD 10 hours ago
- It's that time again- enter the @NDMonogram's 2014 Raffle bit.ly/1nEc6Mp @NDTix to Michigan & Stanford are up for grabs. Good luck! 1 day ago
- With Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt off to the NFL, @S_NDbound_Day91 will be our next great DL #uNDerConsideration http://t.co/TFFNoAaNIY 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face