Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Making us proud! #IrishintheNFL RT @VikingsPR: Pro Bowl hopeful @HarriSmith22 now has 10 career interceptions. 9 hours ago
- TVs, recliners, watches and gaming packages. @NDFootball enjoys a day picking out bowl gifts from the @MusicCityBowl http://t.co/LiK8KTVcdG 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The @NDFootball ECHOES Special, hosted by @SkyDigg4 & Mike Mayock, will be Saturday, 1:30 pm ET on @NBCSN #GoIrish http:… 2 days ago
- Blind Faith follows Mitchell, an 8th grader at the Indiana School for the Blind, as he attends his 1st football game. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/J5Y3… 2 days ago
- Many thanks to @StadiumJourney for naming Notre Dame Stadium as the country’s best stadium experience. stadiumjourney.com/news/12-17-201… 2 days ago
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Jackson Dunk Sets Tone for Win Over Boilermakers
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Road Trip to Crossroads Classic
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #5/4 Notre Dame 64, Saint Joseph's (Pa.) 50
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Defeat Saint Joseph's, 64-50
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish Play Host To Northern Illinois On Monday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish Rout Purdue at the Crossroads Classic, 94-63
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: The McGraw-Saint Joseph's Connection