Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
I think it’s time to build a new wing at the Gug.
The Fighting Irish are continuing to rack up major awards this week, and there’s potential to add a few more tonight at The Home Depot College Football Awards (7:30 pm ET on ESPN).
The Lombardi Award is given to the best lineman or linebacker, and Te’o becomes the fifth Irish player to receive the honor – Taylor (1993), Chris Zorich (1990), Ross Browner (1977) and Walt Patulski (1971).
On Thursday afternoon, Te’o and teammate Mike Golic Jr. were also named to the first team Capital One Academic All-America® Football Team which is selected annually by CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America).
Te’o and Golic are the first pair of Irish teammates to earn first-team Academic All-American honors since 1987. This year also marks Te’o’s second appearance on the team, as he was a second-team selection last season.
The linebacker from Laie, Hawaii holds a 3.324 grade-point-average and later this month, will graduate (in three and a half years) from the College of Arts and Letters with a bachelor’s degree in design.
Meanwhile, Golic is currently enrolled in graduate studies, after graduating from the College of Arts and Letters in May 2012 with a degree in film, television and theatre. The Irish’s right guard finished his undergraduate career with a 3.428 GPA.
Eifert will become Notre Dame’s first Mackey Award recipient, Kelly will pick up his second Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, and Parseghian will be honored with the Contributions to College Football Award.
Te’o is a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Maxwell Award (nation’s best all-around player) and the Chuck Bednarik Trophy (defensive player of the year), all three of which will be also presented. Should he win two of those, Te’o would tie former Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson as the only player to capture five major postseason awards. The current Green Bay Packer brought home the Bednarik, Nagurski, Thorpe, Walter Camp and Heisman in 1997.
Oh, and Te’o is also in the running for the Heisman (Saturday) and Lott IMPACT Trophy (Sunday).
Like I said, we better start clearing some space in the Gug lobby.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Spring recruiting is upon us & it's time to get out & see the next batch of future Notre Dame Football Greats- the 201… 15 hours ago
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: I've got an APB out on the very best RB's in the country. I know who you are & where you are & I'm coming to get you!… 15 hours ago
- He sure made us proud! RT @nfl: 19 years ago TODAY... Joe Cool called it a career. Where does the time go? http://t.co/2qNFjsvb2D 18 hours ago
- RT @CollegeGameDay: Nebraska and Notre Dame have a combined 570 straight sellouts. http://t.co/nrEOB9MxsU 23 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: #NotreDame named a Top 10 University College Campus by @INSIGNIALSM http://t.co/iCBDOatwDl 23 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Travel To Coral Gables For Showdown With Top-20 Miami
- Track. Both Teams Finish Day Two Of The ACCs In Eighth Place
- Softball. Perfection From Winter Leads #21/22 Irish To Day One Sweep Of Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Team In Seventh Heading Into Final Round Of ACC Championship
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Travels To Play Syracuse
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame to Take On Boston College This Weekend
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish In Michigan For ACC/Big Ten Challenge On Saturday
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship