Dec 17, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
It was a press conference about Notre Dame’s upcoming BCS national championship game, but for me, the biggest news of the day was about next season.
Though it might not come as a surprise, it’s huge news for a team that built much of its 2012 success upon veteran leadership.
Martin, one of four captains on this year’s Irish squad, has started all 38 games over the past three seasons. He received the Offensive Lineman of the Year Award at the Notre Dame Football Awards Show earlier this month, and his experience and vocal presence have been an integral part of the Fighting Irish’s 12-0 season.
On the other side of the ball, Nix has been a menacing defensive player at nose guard. The junior finished the regular season with 45 stops, including 5.5 tackles for a loss. Nix also had two sacks, five pass breakups and a forced fumble. He and defensive end Stephon Tuitt were co-recipients of the Moose Krause Lineman of the Year Award at this year’s awards show.
Not only is he 6-foot-3 and more than 300 lbs., but Nix, known to many as “Irish Chocolate,” is also one of the biggest personalities on the team.
In a sport where four- and five-star recruits are constantly on the radar, getting guys like Nix and Martin back, when the NFL Draft was a realistic option, is like signing six-star prospects. Following Michael Floyd and Manti Te’o before them, it says a lot about this university and football program, that student-athletes value a Notre Dame degree and the college experience over the money awaiting them in professional football.
Meanwhile, senior running back Cierre Wood will wait to hear back on his NFL evaluation, before making a decision.
Check back to UND.com later for video from today’s BCS Media Day.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Spring recruiting is upon us & it's time to get out & see the next batch of future Notre Dame Football Greats- the 201… 1 day ago
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: I've got an APB out on the very best RB's in the country. I know who you are & where you are & I'm coming to get you!… 1 day ago
- He sure made us proud! RT @nfl: 19 years ago TODAY... Joe Cool called it a career. Where does the time go? http://t.co/2qNFjsvb2D 1 day ago
- RT @CollegeGameDay: Nebraska and Notre Dame have a combined 570 straight sellouts. http://t.co/nrEOB9MxsU 2 days ago
- RT @NotreDame: #NotreDame named a Top 10 University College Campus by @INSIGNIALSM http://t.co/iCBDOatwDl 2 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 11 Miami, 3-2, In Late Hurricane Rally
- Track. Women Place Second, Men Third At Notre Dame's First-Ever Outdoor ACC Championships
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Women's Lacrosse Loses to No. 1 Syracuse, 18-10
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish Close Competition At ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Beats Syracuse In Last Match Of Regular Season
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Dominates Boston College In Final Match Of Regular Season
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes Tied For Fifth At First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. #5 Maryland Uses Late Surge To Get By #8 Notre Dame, 12-8
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Win Wild Saturday Showdown With Virginia
- W. Lacrosse. Kaitlyn Brosco's Experience Boosts Notre Dame's Attack