Dec 17, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
It was a press conference about Notre Dame’s upcoming BCS national championship game, but for me, the biggest news of the day was about next season.
Though it might not come as a surprise, it’s huge news for a team that built much of its 2012 success upon veteran leadership.
Martin, one of four captains on this year’s Irish squad, has started all 38 games over the past three seasons. He received the Offensive Lineman of the Year Award at the Notre Dame Football Awards Show earlier this month, and his experience and vocal presence have been an integral part of the Fighting Irish’s 12-0 season.
On the other side of the ball, Nix has been a menacing defensive player at nose guard. The junior finished the regular season with 45 stops, including 5.5 tackles for a loss. Nix also had two sacks, five pass breakups and a forced fumble. He and defensive end Stephon Tuitt were co-recipients of the Moose Krause Lineman of the Year Award at this year’s awards show.
Not only is he 6-foot-3 and more than 300 lbs., but Nix, known to many as “Irish Chocolate,” is also one of the biggest personalities on the team.
In a sport where four- and five-star recruits are constantly on the radar, getting guys like Nix and Martin back, when the NFL Draft was a realistic option, is like signing six-star prospects. Following Michael Floyd and Manti Te’o before them, it says a lot about this university and football program, that student-athletes value a Notre Dame degree and the college experience over the money awaiting them in professional football.
Meanwhile, senior running back Cierre Wood will wait to hear back on his NFL evaluation, before making a decision.
Check back to UND.com later for video from today’s BCS Media Day.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- WATCH LIVE - Coach Kelly addresses the media prior to our battle with Stanford on Saturday. TUNE IN NOW - watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… 5 hours ago
- Hope to see you there! RT @gamedayND: This week we're taking the @NDFootball Pep Rally to the Compton Family Ice Arena at 5:45 pm. 6 hours ago
- The third anniversary edition of #TrickShotMonday pays homage to the original and has a first-time winner. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/gxM3… 22 hours ago
- After @Will_Fuller7 didn’t get a first down, a @CoachBrianKelly pep talk helped him get two TDs. @NDfidm has video: WatchND.tv/#!/videos/NxaX… 1 day ago
- This week is the 3rd anniversary of time-honored #TrickShotMonday's public debut. Take a look back at our best shots WatchND.tv/#!/videos/dqNH… 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
- M. Golf. Sciupider Tied For Lead, Irish Slip To Fifth On Day Two Of The Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- General News. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Soccer. #2 Notre Dame Set For First Encounter With VCU
- W. Tennis. Women's ITA All-American Championships Update
- M. Golf. Notre Dame Owns One-Shot Lead After First Round Of Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Review Teleconference Transcript
- M. Tennis. Fighting Irish Wrap Up Play At Two Tournaments
- W. Tennis. Irish Women's Tennis Closes Out Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. #20/16 Irish Score Early, Hold Off Wake Forest 1-0 In ACC Tilt