Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's hard to find things to occupy your time when Notre Dame football isn't on. What did you do with your Saturday? http://t.co/ezViEswBYf 8 hours ago
- Bye weeks can be tough. Get your afternoon Fighting Irish football fix & watch Reborn. vimeo.com/user17797751/r… http://t.co/mJrFsODgKP 16 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: It's GORGEOUS! @panoramascom has the photo shot before @NDFootball vs Michigan ready for sale- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 ht… 1 day ago
- Super SloMo footage to satisfy your bye-week-blues courtesy of @NDfidm . Watch now at watchnd.tv/#!/videos/5hc2… http://t.co/sIi2O7tARP 1 day ago
- Cody Riggs on the Irish starting the season 3-0. #PlayerProspective http://t.co/u1MHTXOGxl 2 days ago
- M. Golf. Irish Set For First Windon Memorial Classic Appearance Since 2004
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Opens Fall Schedule With Two Invitationals
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women First, Men Second At National Catholic Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge