Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Undefeated Season Similarities
Length: 2:33 | May 20, 2013
- .@SiriusXMCollege had a Town Hall Meeting w/ @CoachBrianKelly, Today's clip- running out of the tunnel bit.ly/12v53b4 #GoIrish 12 hours ago
- RT @NDTIX: Live the Tradition of @NDFootball! For Notre Dame Stadium tour dates and times click here bit.ly/TmqHbK #GoIrish 16 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Ladies you better move fast spots are almost gone for @KellyCares and @NDFootball 101 on June 11th http://t.co/ceHvtaR… 17 hours ago
- RT @DailyDomer: Great work by @NDFIDM on this @NDFootball feature: Davaris Daniels - Becoming a Leader: bit.ly/13EWnOB 1 day ago
- Bonus clip of @SiriusXMCollege's Town Hall w/ @CoachBrianKelly- personnel dictating what off plays might be run bit.ly/10KkHNn 1 day ago
- W. Tennis. Sanders Upended In Opening Round Of NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Tennis. Greg Andrews Upsets Jeremy Efferding To Advance In NCAA Singles Tournament Play
- M. Ice Hockey. Mark Van Guilder Inks Two-Year, Two-Way Contract With Nashville Predators
- W. Soccer. Morgan Andrews Repeats As Gatorade National High School Girls Soccer Player Of The Year
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Miller Tapped As USILA Scholar All-American
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule