Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- A look at some of the big plays that the senior class have contributed to the team in 2014. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/podX… http://t.co/HFwlpjN9bv 13 hours ago
- RT @RalloIrishExtra: Jersey switch by @JaeeSmiff9ENT & @AndrewTrumbetti to honor @joeschmidtiv & @TonySpringmann reveals Irish strength: ht… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Notre Dame and USC will air at 3:30 p.m. EST next Saturday on FOX 1 day ago
- RT @NDfidm: A closer look at two big plays in the 2nd half for @NDFootball vs. Louisville via #ICON - watchnd.tv/#!/videos/owa3… 1 day ago
- Louisville downs the football for the 2nd time, ND does not have any time outs remaining. Cardinals escape with the victory, 31-28. #LOUvsND 1 day ago
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Notre Dame Defeats Holy Cross, 104-29, In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Edged By Providence, 75-74
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Irish Dominate Second Half, Fall In 2-1 Heartbreaker To #5 Texas A&M
- Football. Brian Kelly Louisville Review Teleconference Transcript
- W. Volleyball. NC State Sweeps Notre Dame Volleyball Sunday Afternoon
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes