Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- New 2 day sale from the online store- bit.ly/1eW3oTq Tees and Polos are 20% Off, headwear & select gifts are also 20% Off #GetYours 1 hour ago
- Fan Vote for the #ECHOES- who is your Defensive Player of the Year? Tune in at 8 pm ET on @WatchND- bit.ly/echoes-social #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- The next part in @JrNDBloggers Craig Chval's series on the best 100 players in Notre Dame History... ND Rank: #66-70 bit.ly/1gvdIVF 2 hours ago
- 3 #ECHOES awards to vote on. Who is YOUR Offensive Player of the Year? The ECHOES are tonight at 8pm ET on @WatchND- bit.ly/echoes-social 3 hours ago
- Something special tonight- during the show you can vote for Play & Hit of the Year, so watch & vote bit.ly/1cFTzsu #ECHOES 4 hours ago
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Back On The Road Saturday At Michigan
- M. Soccer. Harrison Shipp And Grant Van De Casteele Named All-Americans
- Baseball. Connaughton Named To Baseball America's College Top 100 Prospects List
- M. Soccer. Harrison Shipp A Finalist For The MAC Hermann Trophy
- Football. New Era Pinstripe Bowl Ticket Allotment Sold Out
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Falls To North Dakota St., 73-69
- General News. Notre Dame To Host 2015 NCAA Hockey Regionals At Compton Family Ice Arena
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame To Host 2015 NCAA Hockey Regionals At Compton Family Ice Arena