Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Hunter Bivin, Grant Hammann, Sam Bush, Josh Anderson, Jarron Jones, Doug Randolph and Ernie Soto wish you a... vine.co/v/OOaTZ1Q6v09 8 minutes ago
- “@KellyNDIrish: @NDFootball Trumbetti” guessed it. We knew Ben Sutton would eventually be a domer. #NDHalloween http://t.co/9PAGmArNjH 1 hour ago
- RT @FightingIrish: One more reminder before you head out to DC for @NDFootball vs Navy. Read the Bay Policy! FedExField- http://t.co/nourH… 1 hour ago
- Can you guess who this caped crusader is? #NDHalloween http://t.co/yS3X8bvVDP 2 hours ago
- If you guessed @joeschmidtiv you were right. Next up is Power Ranger @maxired10 #NDHalloween http://t.co/JIHBkpgAPF 2 hours ago
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Update: Crunching The Numbers From Virginia
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish Picked Seventh In ACC Preseason Poll