Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame signal callers take instruction from @CoachMLaFleur during today's practice. http://t.co/lyV7F8Pnu8 6 hours ago
- A beautiful day in the trenches. Syracuse in 4 days. #TheEliteWillRise vine.co/v/O7IpOP7VXvD 6 hours ago
- Have them yet NYC subway alumni? RT @MLStadium: 4 DAYS until #NYCollegeClassic. Get tix now!: bit.ly/NDvsCuse http://t.co/OXURpvA7TX 9 hours ago
- Coach Kelly (@CoachBrianKelly) previews the Syracuse game at his weekly press conference at noon (ET). Tune in now: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… 12 hours ago
- Time for the @NDSportsBlogger’s weekly NFL alumni update... fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/982269470… 14 hours ago
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: The Andrews Effect
- W. Volleyball. A Winding Road to Notre Dame
- Football. Syracuse Preview Press Conference With Brian Kelly
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Syracuse Game Notes
- Softball. Deanna Gumpf Named Inaugural NFCA Newberry "Perseverance" Award Winner
- Cross Country. Kildoo Named ACC Men's Cross Country Performer Of The Week
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Picked To Finish Third In Hockey East Preseason Coaches' Poll
- M. Golf. Irish Close With 11th Place Finish At Windon Memorial Classic
- M. Soccer. Irish Insight: Road Swing Ends With Four Points In ACC Play
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial