Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Undefeated Season Similarities
Length: 2:33 | May 20, 2013
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Notre Dame Stadium: Where goals are accomplished and dreams come to fruition!! WELCOME HOME!! #Go Irish http://t.co/lI… 17 hours ago
- It is exactly 100 days until we kick off against Temple #GoIrish #BeatOwls ow.ly/i/2bwj0 2 days ago
- Guess who just got on their Twitter game? @NDCheerTeam #Follow 2 days ago
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Everyone go and welcome the @NDCheerTeam to twitter! Every #ND fan should give them a follow! #GoIrish 2 days ago
- .@SiriusXMCollege had a Town Hall Meeting w/ @CoachBrianKelly, Today's clip- running out of the tunnel bit.ly/12v53b4 #GoIrish 3 days ago
- Track. 14 Fighting Irish Move On To The NCAA National Championship
- Baseball. Bull's Walk-off Single Sends Irish Past Pittsburgh, Into BIG EAST Title Game
- Track. Notre Dame Qualifies Five Student-Athletes for the NCAA National Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Sullivan Earns First Team WomensLax.com All-America Honors
- W. Lacrosse. Granger, Hilling Tabbed For IWLCA/Under Armour North-South All-Star Game
- W. Basketball. Pair Of Irish Alums On 2013 WNBA Opening Day Rosters
- Track. Jeremy Rae Wins 1,500m Prelims On Day One Of The NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Greg Andrews Eliminated From Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Irish Move Into BIG EAST Tournament Semifinals Following 5-3 Victory Over Pittsburgh
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Miller To Play In Friday's 72nd Annual North-South Game