Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- New "Tattoo Stories" from @NDFIDM, featuring @MatthiasFarley bit.ly/1hTEANM #NDFBFamily 15 hours ago
- #NDFB Coaches Clinic starts March 20th. If you are a coach or interested in coaching, this clinic is for you- bit.ly/ZxjSwx 18 hours ago
- Since we can't see green grass yet, we're thinking warmly of our famous green jerseys that beat USC in 1977 for #TBT. http://t.co/O20brNzRMI 1 day ago
- RT @1IrishChocolate: Thank you @espn for posting my real 40 time. #ThankYou #IrishChocolate #Fast #NotMolasses http://t.co/Y4papdr9w9 1 day ago
- Former TE and all-around great guy John Carlson meeting Thursday with Arizona Cardinals wp.me/p14QSB-9qvY 1 day ago
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Take On #14/17 North Carolina State Saturday In ACC Semifinals
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Drops Match To No. 15 Clemson
- W. Lacrosse. Fast, Aggressive and Passionate Women's Lacrosse Rolls On
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Pioneers Take Rivalry To The Pacific
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Top Florida State, 83-57, In ACC Quarterfinals
- General News. Three Irish Student-Athletes Named Recipients Of 2014 ACC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Fencing. Irish Head Up To Motor City For All-Day Qualifier
- M. Basketball. Mike Brey To Be Honored At Ninth Annual Dick Vitale Gala
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Begin ACC Chapter At Georgia Tech
- Baseball. Rain Postpones Friday Baseball Action