Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Safe Travels to everyone headed home for Easter weekend #NDFamily 4 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: ND students need your help. Mark your calendar and join us for an info meeting 4.25.14 und.com/ambassadors #WeAreND 7 hours ago
- #TBT Brian Kelly, Ara Parseghian and Lou Holtz at last year’s charity golf event. 2014 info: und.com/sports/m-footb… http://t.co/s8GFisR9Fi 11 hours ago
- #NDFB, @UpliftingAth Bowling Event Set For May 4 bit.ly/1j7fOHJ Join us! #NDFamily 11 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Bowl Irish Bowl! @joeschmidtiv, @NDFootball and @UpliftingAth will host a bowling event on May 4 details–> http://t.co/… 12 hours ago
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- W. Swimming. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- Softball. Wester Named NFCA Freshman Of The Year Top 25 Finalist
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Enjoy Historic Offensive Night In 17-2 Win Over Toledo
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Plays In Its First ACC Championship This Weekend
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program