Dec 20, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Everyone knows that Raghib “Rocket” Ismail was one of the most electrifying players to ever put on the gold helmet. If you’ve ever had a chance to hear Rocket at a Notre Dame pep rally, you are also probably aware of how animated he is as a speaker (ex. USC 2009 or Utah 2010).
Earlier this fall, Rocket sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media in their new studio at the Joyce Center. Among the topics that he spoke about was the 1991 Orange Bowl, and the infamous punt return that was wiped away by a questionable clipping penalty.
That play is featured as today’s “Strong and True” moment (#112) on the 125 years of Notre Dame football website. The moments are numbered in the order they are released, not based on which are “greatest” or “most significant.”
However, in my opinion, today’s video is one of the best we have had all season, not only due to Rocket’s great recollection of a play that happened nearly 22 years ago, but also because of his emotion in talking about a moment that had a valuable impact on his life.
It’s one thing to see him as a passionate speaker when rallying thousands of cheering fans, but it’s something unique to watch him during a one-on-one interview.
Check out the video below. In particular, it’s the last thirty seconds or so that stand out. He says:
I didn’t understand what it took to really be a champion, at that time in my life. But since then, I’ve come to understand that that moment was very valuable for me.
And in your life, there’s going to be adversity, especially when you desire to do great things. But make up in your mind right now, that come hell or high water, all the people that say it’s impossible, including yourself – and that try to convince you that it can’t – you make up in your mind right now, that you can – and by God’s grace, you will.
Visit 125.nd.edu for more on this game, as well as other moments from the 125 project.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @seniorbowl: .@OSUBeaversFB QB Sean Mannion tosses a short TD pass to @NDFootball TE Ben Koyack of Notre Dame. 10-7 North, 12:23 in 2nd 23 hours ago
- Make sure to catch @koymonster in today's @seniorbowl. @nflnetwork will televise live at 3 pm ET #WeAreND http://t.co/qLx7Bwn4uQ 1 day ago
- We are counting down the days to Signing Day and @CoachTonyAlford sits down with @NDfidm in prep for the big day http://t.co/hT5npZ9bAl 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: 7 WRs in @NDFootball history named consensus All-Americans. How did their so. yrs compare to Will Fuller's so. 2014? htt… 2 days ago
- Congratulations to @CoachBrianKelly #GoIrish http://t.co/GRd56ceAbq 3 days ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #6/5 Notre Dame 74, Clemson 36
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads #6/5 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Clip No. 24 Cowboys 4-3 In ITA Kick-Off Opener
- M. Basketball. #8/9 Notre Dame Travels To NC State For Sunday Showdown
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Goal Lifts Northeastern Past Notre Dame, 3-2
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Mabrey Helps Irish East Past Georgia Tech
- Baseball. IRISH EXTRA: The Influence of a Baseball Hall of Famer