Jan 1, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Everett vs. Manti.
#5 vs. #5.
Offense vs. Defense.
A definitive play vs. A legendary celebration.
Barbara Johnston vs. Matt Cashore.
#1 seed vs. #2 seed.
The Facebook photo face-off clash all comes down to this.
After the top four seeds advanced to the Final Four, only the top two survived for the title match-up.
In a battle of Matt Cashore’s Stanford photos, #1 Manti’s celebration defeated the #4 goal line stand. If you think about it, that’s kind of funny, because #1 wouldn’t have been possible if not for the result of the play in photo #4.
In the other match-up, the two-point conversion dive (#2 – photo by Barbara Johnston) edged out the USC Gatorade celebration (#3 – photo by Mike Bennett). Though the USC game was the victory that ultimately sent Notre Dame to the BCS championship, to me, Golson’s dive is the defining play of the season. It capped a comeback in a game that had surely looked like an Irish loss. If not for that, the BCS title wouldn’t even have been a possibility.
So today, the voting continues at Facebook.com/NDFootball. Leave a note “A” or “B” in the comments section. We’ll announce the winner on Wednesday.
By the way, both photos (as well as many of the others featured in the face-off) are available for purchase at photos.nd.edu.
P.S. 2-0 this round. 25-5 so far.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Put May 4 in your calendar! It's our @UpliftingAth Bowling event. Register here- bit.ly/1tDEXlN Come bowl with us #NDFamily 3 hours ago
- To everyone who suggested "my backyard" for their dream #ShamrockSeries location, let us know if you can fit 100,000 people there #LetsTalk 5 hours ago
- We can't wait to see this enthusiasm for the #ShamrockSeries at @LucasOilStadium next year. #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- Dream #ShamrockSeries locations went from San Diego, to The Superdome in New Orleans, to Wembley Arena in England, to Vatican City. 6 hours ago
- We've looked at the votes for YOUR dream #ShamrockSeries game location and the suggestions were all over the map! 6 hours ago
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship