Jan 6, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Tomorrow is the day.
At the beginning of the season, I said I felt like the night before the Navy game felt like Christmas Eve. I tossed and turned all night, worrying and wondering what this season would bring. There is absolutely nothing in my life to compare Sunday night to–nothing could have prepared me for this.
It’s been a long month–a test of endurance of my own, if you will. When I went home for Christmas, it was to face many high school friends bitter about Missouri’s first season in the SEC and determined to tell me how their conference was going to crush my team.
“I’m sorry but you guys are going to get killed.”
“It’s going to be hilarious.”
“Notre Dame doesn’t stand a chance.”
And I just smiled and shrugged like I have all season. I didn’t want to break that pattern, because having silent faith in my team hasn’t let me down yet.
“We’ll see,” is all I said. And we will.
It is somewhat shocking to be in a place so warm and see so many Notre Dame fans. I’ve been in Miami for less than 24 hours and this place already seems like South Bend on a home game weekend. I can’t walk half a block through Miami without spotting someone in ND apparel. When we see each other, we shout “Go Irish!” Today on the beach, I lined up with other fans to get my picture taken in an ND jersey. A man in a Notre Dame hat agreed to take a picture of us in the ocean this afternoon.
All these fans, like me, have come here to say that they believe. We will see. We will see.
Yesterday, as my friends and I were driving across the Tampa Bay, I took in the perfect Florida weather. The water stretched out seemingly forever in either direction. And I couldn’t help but replay every moment that had gotten us here. Biting off all my fingernails during the Michigan State game. Dancing after the Michigan game. Yelling ourselves hoarse during the final stand against Stanford. Nearly crying as the Pitt field goal attempt sailed wide. Rushing to Stonehenge after we beat Oklahoma, still too scared to dream for a national championship but doing it anyway.
My friends were laughing and singing along to our road trip playlist, and I realized I would never be grateful enough to Notre Dame for bringing us here. Here to Florida, to Miami, to this beautiful tropical place in January, but more importantly, here to this experience, these memories, this laughter and this happiness with so many people that I love. I couldn’t imagine ever being more full of joy than I am right now.
Although come tomorrow night, I might be able to find a little more room.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
DaVaris Daniels - Becoming A Leader
Length: 3:22 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Undefeated Season Similarities
Length: 2:33 | May 20, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- RT @DailyDomer: Great work by @NDFIDM on this @NDFootball feature: Davaris Daniels - Becoming a Leader: bit.ly/13EWnOB 17 hours ago
- Bonus clip of @SiriusXMCollege's Town Hall w/ @CoachBrianKelly- personnel dictating what off plays might be run bit.ly/10KkHNn 17 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Spotted a couple @NDFootball Monogram winners in this video from Commencement! Check it out: bit.ly/10i1gMP 18 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: We want to wish a true @NotreDame man and @NDFootball great Ara Parseghian a very special day! 90 years young! http://t.co/… 18 hours ago
- Happy birthday Coach Parseghian! bit.ly/19H7ji5 #NDFBFamily #ManyHappyReturns 20 hours ago
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5