Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Before last week’s BCS championship game, ESPN aired a feature on Sam Grewe, a 14-year old from Middlebury, Ind. who was adopted by the Notre Dame football team in spring 2012.
During Christmas week 2011, he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a cancer in the bone. While preparing for a rare Van Ness rotationplasty, the Irish welcomed Sam and his family to the Gug for a special ceremony.
The players wore Grewe Crew shirts and wristbands with the slogan “We play for Sam.” It was a moving moment, and throughout the 2012 season, Sam became as much a part of the team as any of the players.
With so many Fighting Irish fans traveling to South Florida for the big game, there’s a good chance you missed Sam’s inspiring story on television. As they so often do, Tom Rinaldi’s segment tugs at the heartstrings. It reminds you of all that is good in the world of sports, and why Notre Dame holds a special place in each of our lives. Luckily, it’s available to watch on YouTube.
While you’re at it, read Jason Wright’s article on Notre Dame’s adopted brother.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Pregame Rituals
Length: 1:27 | May 16, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Zone Read
Length: 1:51 | May 15, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Freshmen Impact
Length: 1:20 | May 14, 2013
- Followers, this account is no longer the handle of Notre Dame Football- @NDFootball is. This account will serve to remind people we moved. 5 months ago
- Hey everyone, redirect your tweets from this account to @NDFootball. Thanks- Notre Dame Football 5 months ago
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- Softball. Koerner, Winter Selected To NFCA All-Region First Team
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish And #7 Duke Set For Quarterfinal Showdown In Indy