Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Before last week’s BCS championship game, ESPN aired a feature on Sam Grewe, a 14-year old from Middlebury, Ind. who was adopted by the Notre Dame football team in spring 2012.
During Christmas week 2011, he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a cancer in the bone. While preparing for a rare Van Ness rotationplasty, the Irish welcomed Sam and his family to the Gug for a special ceremony.
The players wore Grewe Crew shirts and wristbands with the slogan “We play for Sam.” It was a moving moment, and throughout the 2012 season, Sam became as much a part of the team as any of the players.
With so many Fighting Irish fans traveling to South Florida for the big game, there’s a good chance you missed Sam’s inspiring story on television. As they so often do, Tom Rinaldi’s segment tugs at the heartstrings. It reminds you of all that is good in the world of sports, and why Notre Dame holds a special place in each of our lives. Luckily, it’s available to watch on YouTube.
While you’re at it, read Jason Wright’s article on Notre Dame’s adopted brother.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Put May 4 in your calendar! It's our @UpliftingAth Bowling event. Register here- bit.ly/1tDEXlN Come bowl with us #NDFamily 10 hours ago
- To everyone who suggested "my backyard" for their dream #ShamrockSeries location, let us know if you can fit 100,000 people there #LetsTalk 12 hours ago
- We can't wait to see this enthusiasm for the #ShamrockSeries at @LucasOilStadium next year. #GoIrish 14 hours ago
- Dream #ShamrockSeries locations went from San Diego, to The Superdome in New Orleans, to Wembley Arena in England, to Vatican City. 14 hours ago
- We've looked at the votes for YOUR dream #ShamrockSeries game location and the suggestions were all over the map! 14 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan