Sep 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com.
Notre Dame defeated Temple 28-6 on Saturday with a dynamic offense that featured 188 yards rushing and 355 yards through the air. Five Irish running backs carried the ball, and seven Irish receivers caught passes. Quarterback Tommy Rees completed 16 of 23 passes for a career-high 346 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
The Notre Dame offense featured eight plays that covered at least 20 yards, six of which figured prominently in Notre Dame’s four touchdown drives of the game. On those four drives, Notre Dame racked up 324 yards on only 14 plays, an average of 23.1 yards per play. Cumulatively, those possessions rank as the most explosive drives of the Brian Kelly era at Notre Dame.
The yards per play measures on scoring and non-scoring drives in every Notre Dame game played since 2010 are illustrated in the chart above. The victory over Temple marked only the second time in that span that the Irish averaged better than 15 yards per play on scoring drives, and only the eighth time since 2010 that the Irish averaged better than 10 yards per play on scoring drives. The highest single-game marks in this stat in each season since 2010 are indicated on the chart.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Can't imagine ND Stadium without it RT @NDLibraries: #50Milestones: The 'Word of Life' mural 50years.library.nd.edu/50milestones/#6 http://t.co/cnXT3YtNZF 1 hour ago
- Tune in on Friday, 8 pm for the annual #NDFB awards show, The Echoes, on @WatchND- bit.ly/echoes-social #GoIrish ow.ly/i/3Z0FG 1 hour ago
- Next up for the Echoes Fan vote- Who is the Newcomer of the Year (Defense)? #GoIrish ow.ly/i/3Z0Ct 1 hour ago
- RT @CoachKerryCooks: who is in Dallas today? 2 hours ago
- RT @nd_news: #NotreDame-Rutgers the only bowl with graduation rates higher than 85 percent ow.ly/rDIQ0 3 hours ago
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Face #7 Lobos In First College Cup Appearance
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Rolls Past Bryant, 70-59
- Softball. Softball Accepting Registration For January 19 Clinic
- M. Swimming. Irish Secure Wire-To-Wire Hawkeye Invitational Title
- W. Swimming. Irish Complete Convincing Win At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Back At It On Monday Against Bryant
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational