Sep 5, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Golden Tate – 2007-2009 – Wide Receiver
One week down, 11 more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate.
For a chance to win an autographed Golden Tate Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing? (Three parts)
Tate, the 2009 Biletnikoff Award winner, was a consensus all-american at the wide receiver position in his final year donning the gold helmet at Notre Dame.
Throughout his time playing for the Irish, Tate snagged 157 receptions for over 2,700 yards. In all, Tate accounted for 30 touchdowns in his career.
Tate’s name is peppered through the Notre Dame record book as he is currently second in receptions in a season (93-2009), fourth in career receptions (157), second in receiving yards in a game (244-Oct. 3, 2009 vs. Washington), first in receiving yards in a season (1,496-2009), second in receiving yards in a career (2,707) and first in 100-yard receiving games in a season (9-2009).
In his final season in South Bend, along with winning the Biletnikoff (top wide receiver) and being named an all-american, Tate finished tenth in the Heisman Trophy voting after a 93-catch, 1,496-yard and 15-receiving touchdown season.
Tate was drafted 60th-overall (2nd Round) in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks.
So far in his NFL career, Tate has amassed 101 receptions for 1,297 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Brady Quinn Card Winner
Last week’s question, Brady Quinn was the second Notre Dame football player to attempt 300 passes in a single season (353 attempt in 2004), name the first, was answered correctly by just a handful of people via email and twitter. After throwing the 12 names in a hat who had the correct answer (Jarious Jackson), the winner is … Stephen (@NDIrishFan_72)!
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- After 9 weeks of college football your Fighting Irish are ranked No. 7 in the AP Top 25 & No. 8 in the USA Today Poll http://t.co/T5NbnEjmQF 1 day ago
- RT @WatchND: The highlights of quite possibly the game of the college football season are now up #OnWatchND #NDvsFSU watchnd.tv/#!/videos/ZhdT… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Of the 48 players that participated for @NDFootball last night vs. No. 2 FSU, 27 are in their 1st or 2nd year of eligibi… 1 day ago
- RT @EHansenNDI: #NotreDame WR Will Fuller moves into a tie for 3rd in TD receptions nationally with 8. 1 day ago
- RT @DavidtheAdmiral: Not sleeping well after loss, but couldn't be prouder of the Irish. One of the best games I've seen. #PressOn 1 day ago
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
- W. Rowing. Top 10 For Irish Championship Four Highlights Head Of The Charles Results
- W. Volleyball. Irish Rally From Down 2-0; Best BC In Five-Set Thriller
- Football. Brian Kelly Florida State Review Teleconference Transcript