Oct 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
In a new partnership between the University of Notre Dame and Upper Deck, we have begun a weekly football series entitled “Trading Card Thursday.” Every Thursday leading up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show at 7 p.m. (ET), we will be presenting a new trading card from the Upper Deck Notre Dame football box set. You can watch the Brian Kelly Radio Show live at watchnd.tv.
Joe Theismann – 1968 – 1970 – Quarterback
Seven weeks down, five more to go in our weekly Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck posts, today we will turn our attention to former Notre Dame quarterback Joe Theismann.
For a chance to win an autographed Joe Theismann Upper Deck trading card, answer the following question on twitter to @NDSportsBlogger or to email@example.com. The winner will be chosen through a blind draw of correct answers.
At the beginning of the 2013 season, Joe Theismann had the eighth-most passing yards in a single season in Notre Dame history with 2,529, yet only four former Irish student-athletes are ahead of him. Name the four.
A 2003 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame, Theismann played for the Irish from 1968-70 as a 6-0, 170-pound quarterback from South River, N.J. A first-team All-America selection as a senior in ’70 by both the Associated Press and Football News, he ended up runner-up that year in the Heisman Trophy balloting to winner Jim Plunkett of Stanford.
As a senior in ’70, Theismann led the Irish to a 10-1 record and a Cotton Bowl victory over top-rated Texas with its 30-game win streak. Also an Academic All-American in ’70, Theismann in 1990 was inducted into the Verizon Academic All-America Hall of Fame.
He once held the Irish all-time record for pass completions in a game (33 vs. USC in ’70), passing yards in a game (526 vs. USC in ’70) – and he ranked in the top-10 all-time in career passing yards (4,411) and career TD passes (31). In his Notre Dame career, he completed 290 of 509 passes (.569) for 4,411 yards and 31 TDs. He also rushed 316 times for 1,043 yards and 16 TDs.
A fourth-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins in the 1971 NFL Draft, Theismann went on to a Pro Bowl career with the Washington Redskins, playing in two Super Bowls and winning one in 1983. He was selected the NFL MVP in 1983 and the NFL Man of the Year in 1982. He retired from the NFL after the ’85 season (he played 1974-85), having thrown for 25,206 career yards and 160 TDs and rushed for another 1,815 yards and 17 TDs.
Ricky Watters Card Winner
Last week’s question, In 1989, Ricky Watters ran back a punt return 97 yards for a touchdown against SMU, a school record that still stands. The question is, who is the only Notre Dame player to have multiple 90-yard punt return for touchdowns? This was answered correctly (Joe Heap) by just a handful of people via email and twitter. The winner is … Mike King (@TotalPackages8). Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Celebrate the tradition of Notre Dame Football with a comprehensive Upper Deck trading card set featuring some of the most notable names in Fighting Irish history!
· Look for autographs from past Irish greats like: Joe Montana, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, Ricky Watters, Lou Holtz, Brady Quinn, and many more!
· Collect the entire 100-card set featuring players and memorable moments in ND history!
· Look for themed inserts like All-Time Alumni, NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Golden Dome Glory Days.
· Available at the Notre Dame Hammes bookstore, Meijer and upperdeckstore.com.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Happy Thanksgiving from your Notre Dame Fighting Irish http://t.co/0nu8WpjQ9J 7 hours ago
- Training table staff getting prepped for Thanksgiving dinner. Enough pie for the whole team. #Thanksgiving http://t.co/4ptwpYmCbL 7 hours ago
- With 10 tackles, Robert Blanton is your #IrishintheNFL, player of the week. http://t.co/Xja0gfGRcs 1 day ago
- Reset your clock RT @FightingIrish: DYK This week's #NDFBClassics has been moved to Friday at 12pm ET? ND vs USC '95 http://t.co/V9QfkJVxgH 2 days ago
- RT @NDTIX: ICYMI: Join @NDFootball at the @DeBartoloArtsND & walk the red carpet for the Echoes Football Awards Banquet. #IRISH http://t.co… 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Carrying On The
- M. Ice Hockey. Carrying On The
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Martin Returns Home Again
- Football. Irish Extra: Grooms Leads Irish Equipment Army
- Football. Irish Extra: Football GameDay Planning Never Ends at Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Cruises Past Grambling State, 81-54
- M. Ice Hockey. It's Shillelagh Tournament Time
- M. Soccer. Patrick Hodan And Luke Mishu Named Academic All-Americans