Nov 23, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
With no classes on campus today, sixteen Notre Dame football student-athletes spent the afternoon before practice at Hope Ministries in downtown South Bend. Founded as the Hope Rescue Mission by Tobe E. Schmucker in 1954, the program initially provided shelter, food and ministry for homeless men, before soon expanding to serve women and families.
As an organization, “Hope Ministries seeks to transform hearts, minds and lives by engaging families and individuals in a Christ-centered, grace-based process of examining their current realities, envisioning their future possibilities, and enabling action to achieve their desired futures.”
Today, the original facility on Michigan Street provides chapel services and a community kitchen, which serves approximately 300 meals daily. In 2005, Hope Ministries opened a second facility, the Family Life Center. The Family Life Center provides housing for families including single mothers, single fathers and married couples, as well as for single men and women.
On Thanksgiving, Hope Ministries will serve hundreds of meals, while also delivering many to residents around the local community. While at the Family Life Center this afternoon, the Fighting Irish football players helped prepare for the Thanksgiving celebration by filling containers of cranberry sauce, washing windows, setting up the dining area, and writing cards to the visitors.
Hope Ministries offer free meals 365 days per year, spiritual guidance, adult education, child development programs and access to mental and physical healthcare resources, among many other services.
Led by former wide receiver and current team intern David Grimes (’09), today’s project was a special opportunity for the team to take some time away from classes and football, to give back to the South Bend community and spread some joy in the holiday season.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament