Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 AM EST
Everyone knew former Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd was a sure-thing first rounder, but it was Minnesota’s selection at pick #29 that turned a good night into a great night for Irish fans.
It all started when Arizona chose Floyd with pick #13, making him the highest Notre Dame selection since Bryant Young was drafted seventh in 1994. Floyd will join fellow Twin Cities native Larry Fitzgerald, setting up what could be a very impressive wide receiver tandem for the Cardinals.
About an hour and a half later, the Minnesota Vikings continued what is beginning to look like a push to be renamed ‘Notre Dame North,’ selecting 2011 Irish captain Harrison Smith with pick #29. The safety will team up with center John Sullivan (’07) and tight ends Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson (’07) in Minneapolis.
In the age of Twitter, it was great to see the hundreds of tweets from students, fans and local media congratulating the former Irish stars. But more so, I enjoyed seeing those from current and former Notre Dame players celebrating the great news.
Having gotten to know Mike and Harrison a bit during my time at Notre Dame, I was awfully happy to see their NFL dreams come true on night one of this year’s draft. I can only imagine how their Irish teammates felt, having become like their brothers over the past four years. From Manti Te’o to Matt Mulvey to Kapron Lewis-Moore, many could hardly put their excitement into words.
Let’s hope this trend of Irish success continues when the NFL Draft resumes on Friday. For all the facts and figures surrounding tonight’s draft picks, check out UND.com for the official Floyd and Smith press releases.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- On this #ValentinesDay... Love thee, Notre Dame ☘ https://t.co/NZqe44jpXI 1 hour ago
- 🏆PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION Saturday Notre Dame ranks FIRST in Pro Football Hall of Famers READ: foxsports.com/college-footba… https://t.co/7KxsWcsrNI 21 hours ago
- We are deeply saddened by the passing of 1953 Heisman Trophy Winner Johnny Lattner. Our prayers are with his family. https://t.co/YZr4ZpxsDV 23 hours ago
- Old Habits Die Hard. Always nice having alums back on campus, especially Baltimore Ravens DE Kapron Lewis-Moore. https://t.co/ya1MEtM0y0 1 day ago
- 🎓 4 FOR 40 Friday 2007 Grad CB Ambrose Wooden Finance Major & 3x Letter Winner ☘ NOW: VP at Goldman Sachs (NYC) https://t.co/E3fSydUDrt 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. #8 Irish Sweep Into First With a 5-1 Win Over Maine
- Track. Irish Track And Field Earn Top Marks On Day Two at Two Meets
- Softball. #24/RV Irish Fall In Nightcap Heartbreaker For Kajikawa Split
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Dominate No. 54 Michigan 6-1
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Puts in Top Times At Michigan Meet
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Puts in Top Times At Michigan Meet
- Football. John Lattner: His Trophy Life
- Football. Notre Dame Heisman Trophy Winner John Lattner Dies at Age 83
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Knocks Off #13 Louisville, 71-66