Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 AM EDT
Everyone knew former Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd was a sure-thing first rounder, but it was Minnesota’s selection at pick #29 that turned a good night into a great night for Irish fans.
It all started when Arizona chose Floyd with pick #13, making him the highest Notre Dame selection since Bryant Young was drafted seventh in 1994. Floyd will join fellow Twin Cities native Larry Fitzgerald, setting up what could be a very impressive wide receiver tandem for the Cardinals.
About an hour and a half later, the Minnesota Vikings continued what is beginning to look like a push to be renamed ‘Notre Dame North,’ selecting 2011 Irish captain Harrison Smith with pick #29. The safety will team up with center John Sullivan (’07) and tight ends Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson (’07) in Minneapolis.
In the age of Twitter, it was great to see the hundreds of tweets from students, fans and local media congratulating the former Irish stars. But more so, I enjoyed seeing those from current and former Notre Dame players celebrating the great news.
Having gotten to know Mike and Harrison a bit during my time at Notre Dame, I was awfully happy to see their NFL dreams come true on night one of this year’s draft. I can only imagine how their Irish teammates felt, having become like their brothers over the past four years. From Manti Te’o to Matt Mulvey to Kapron Lewis-Moore, many could hardly put their excitement into words.
Let’s hope this trend of Irish success continues when the NFL Draft resumes on Friday. For all the facts and figures surrounding tonight’s draft picks, check out UND.com for the official Floyd and Smith press releases.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFBEquipment: Captain's jerseys are ready, what an honor for these four guys #GoIrish https://t.co/jDgjp63Vqq 26 minutes ago
- South Bend ➡️ Austin ND1 is officially on the way. #BeatTexas https://t.co/quRbKknrrR 1 hour ago
- Sunday | 7:30p ET | ABC Texas boys heading back to their roots. #TXtoND https://t.co/wxvQ2Zqi9h 15 hours ago
- RT @BruceFeldmanCFB: #NotreDame has the highest overall median ticket price of college FB team, coming in at $240, per secondary marketplac… 17 hours ago
- 5. Days. #BeatTexas https://t.co/AkqysALSHY 18 hours ago
- Football. Eyes Will Be Upon #10 Notre Dame, Texas
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Quick Out of the Gate
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Solid In 3-0 Victory Over Western Michigan
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Stymie New Mexico 1-0, Claim Berticelli Tourney
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame-New Mexico Men's Soccer Match Postponed Until 6 P.M. (ET)
- W. Soccer. Western Michigan Match Postponed Due To Lightning
- Football. Sunday Brunch: 20 Questions on Notre Dame Football 2016
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Broncos, Off To Best Start In Five Years
- W. Volleyball. Sweep Of Cleveland State Sends Irish To 2-0