Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 AM EDT
Everyone knew former Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd was a sure-thing first rounder, but it was Minnesota’s selection at pick #29 that turned a good night into a great night for Irish fans.
It all started when Arizona chose Floyd with pick #13, making him the highest Notre Dame selection since Bryant Young was drafted seventh in 1994. Floyd will join fellow Twin Cities native Larry Fitzgerald, setting up what could be a very impressive wide receiver tandem for the Cardinals.
About an hour and a half later, the Minnesota Vikings continued what is beginning to look like a push to be renamed ‘Notre Dame North,’ selecting 2011 Irish captain Harrison Smith with pick #29. The safety will team up with center John Sullivan (’07) and tight ends Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson (’07) in Minneapolis.
In the age of Twitter, it was great to see the hundreds of tweets from students, fans and local media congratulating the former Irish stars. But more so, I enjoyed seeing those from current and former Notre Dame players celebrating the great news.
Having gotten to know Mike and Harrison a bit during my time at Notre Dame, I was awfully happy to see their NFL dreams come true on night one of this year’s draft. I can only imagine how their Irish teammates felt, having become like their brothers over the past four years. From Manti Te’o to Matt Mulvey to Kapron Lewis-Moore, many could hardly put their excitement into words.
Let’s hope this trend of Irish success continues when the NFL Draft resumes on Friday. For all the facts and figures surrounding tonight’s draft picks, check out UND.com for the official Floyd and Smith press releases.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 hour ago
- Not a bad day when an NFL All-Pro alum comes back to talk with your guys. Keep doin' your thing with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Burst. Hops. Heart. Cole Luke showed out at our Pro Day prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. #NDintheNFL https://t.co/RXVSuqe8qj 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at our Pro… 1 day ago
- RT @dalex3333: We can never have enough great players take the field on game day. Recruiting never stops! We want the best of the best. Who… 1 day ago
- Track. Aragon Finishes Seventh at Raleigh Relays
- Baseball. Sunday Brunch: Nussbaum Still Makes Plays
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Earns Highest NCAA Championship Point Total, Finish in School History
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Roll Past Buckeyes
- Fencing. Notre Dame Strengthens Lead After Day 3 At NCAA Fencing Championships
- Fencing. Irish Increase Lead At NCAA Championship
- Baseball. Bass Strong As Irish Fall To Seminoles
- Softball. Irish Fire On All Cylinders To VT Series Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Rally Past No. 1 Seed Minnesota, 3-2
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory