Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 AM EDT
Everyone knew former Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd was a sure-thing first rounder, but it was Minnesota’s selection at pick #29 that turned a good night into a great night for Irish fans.
It all started when Arizona chose Floyd with pick #13, making him the highest Notre Dame selection since Bryant Young was drafted seventh in 1994. Floyd will join fellow Twin Cities native Larry Fitzgerald, setting up what could be a very impressive wide receiver tandem for the Cardinals.
About an hour and a half later, the Minnesota Vikings continued what is beginning to look like a push to be renamed ‘Notre Dame North,’ selecting 2011 Irish captain Harrison Smith with pick #29. The safety will team up with center John Sullivan (’07) and tight ends Kyle Rudolph and John Carlson (’07) in Minneapolis.
In the age of Twitter, it was great to see the hundreds of tweets from students, fans and local media congratulating the former Irish stars. But more so, I enjoyed seeing those from current and former Notre Dame players celebrating the great news.
Having gotten to know Mike and Harrison a bit during my time at Notre Dame, I was awfully happy to see their NFL dreams come true on night one of this year’s draft. I can only imagine how their Irish teammates felt, having become like their brothers over the past four years. From Manti Te’o to Matt Mulvey to Kapron Lewis-Moore, many could hardly put their excitement into words.
Let’s hope this trend of Irish success continues when the NFL Draft resumes on Friday. For all the facts and figures surrounding tonight’s draft picks, check out UND.com for the official Floyd and Smith press releases.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 🎥 The moment when Sheldon Day became a Jaguar. 7 players from ND were drafted in the first 4 rounds. #NDinTheNFL amp.twimg.com/v/133dbaf5-df1… 4 hours ago
- RT @NFL: .@Will_Fuller7 (@NDFootball) introduced by the @HoustonTexans! #NFLDraft https://t.co/uitlSFuBB5 4 hours ago
- RT @Keivarae1: I'm in the NFL....Wow Thank U #Chiefs Nation. @Chiefs I'm so grateful for this. I am ready to work best believe that. I wo… 5 hours ago
- What does it sound like when Jerry Jones asks you to come play for his team? Listen in. #NDinTheNFL on.nfl.com/26EvoGu 5 hours ago
- SHELDON DAY ➡️ Jacksonville All. Day. #NFLDraft #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/PTxwyL2ySa 5 hours ago
- Softball. Irish Softball Schedule Against Louisville Altered
- M. Lacrosse. #13 Duke Eliminates #4 Notre Dame in ACC Men's Lacrosse Semifinal
- Baseball. Saturday Baseball Versus Ohio Postponed
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh, Landis and Perkovic Headline Tewaaraton Nominees
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Third Round of NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Loses To #4 Syracuse in ACC Semifinal
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Second Round of NFL Draft
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Ten Batters As The Irish Notch 2-1 Victory Over Ohio
- Monogram Club. Sarah Kappers And Brian Talcott Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- Baseball. Notre Dame Welcomes In Ohio For Non-Conference Series