Aug 8, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Though Notre Dame hit the field on Saturday, it was on Wednesday at Practice #5, that the fun truly began. With the entire practice open to the media, the Irish dressed in full pads for the first time this fall.
To the joy of some players (and the dismay of others), it was a country music morning, as the tunes of Kenny Chesney, Jake Owen, Jason Aldean and Zac Brown Band reverberated across the LaBar Practice Complex during warmups.
After stretching and a few position exercises, the Irish broke into the ever-popular and always intense “rodeo drill.”
In the quarterback competition, sophomore Everett Golson and junior Andrew Hendrix have been splitting time, each getting a relatively even number of repetitions in 11-on-11 drills. As always, the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew was on hand, and captured some great action from the big day on the practice field.
If you’re a regular viewer/listener of ESPN’s “Mike and Mike In The Morning,” you may have noticed the absence of former Irish lineman Mike Golic (’85) this week. Golic was in South Bend today and caught up with sons Mike (offensive line) and Jake (tight end), after watching practice. It’s been nearly 20 years since Mike Sr. played in the NFL, so Mike Jr. took advantage of a photo opportunity to show his pops who’s strongest in the Golic household.
During his post-practice media session, Coach Kelly announced a couple of important roster updates, explaining that offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood had left the team for personal reasons, and running back Cameron Roberson would pursue a medical hardship because of a knee injury he suffered in spring 2011. This news came just a few days after Kelly announced a similar future for offensive lineman Brad Carrico, who is dealing with a chronic foot injury.
Kelly also spoke about the development of the quarterbacks, secondary and wide receivers, among other topics, in the 19-minute media session below.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse. #NDBi… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Jumping for joy because it's less than 40 days until kickoff! 👀 @NDFootball https://t.co/wB8HJTP72D 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2nd TD… 1 day ago
- RT @SimonShayne: https://t.co/DgEdxeAE60 1 day ago
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 3 days ago
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka