Aug 8, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Though Notre Dame hit the field on Saturday, it was on Wednesday at Practice #5, that the fun truly began. With the entire practice open to the media, the Irish dressed in full pads for the first time this fall.
To the joy of some players (and the dismay of others), it was a country music morning, as the tunes of Kenny Chesney, Jake Owen, Jason Aldean and Zac Brown Band reverberated across the LaBar Practice Complex during warmups.
After stretching and a few position exercises, the Irish broke into the ever-popular and always intense “rodeo drill.”
In the quarterback competition, sophomore Everett Golson and junior Andrew Hendrix have been splitting time, each getting a relatively even number of repetitions in 11-on-11 drills. As always, the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew was on hand, and captured some great action from the big day on the practice field.
If you’re a regular viewer/listener of ESPN’s “Mike and Mike In The Morning,” you may have noticed the absence of former Irish lineman Mike Golic (’85) this week. Golic was in South Bend today and caught up with sons Mike (offensive line) and Jake (tight end), after watching practice. It’s been nearly 20 years since Mike Sr. played in the NFL, so Mike Jr. took advantage of a photo opportunity to show his pops who’s strongest in the Golic household.
During his post-practice media session, Coach Kelly announced a couple of important roster updates, explaining that offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood had left the team for personal reasons, and running back Cameron Roberson would pursue a medical hardship because of a knee injury he suffered in spring 2011. This news came just a few days after Kelly announced a similar future for offensive lineman Brad Carrico, who is dealing with a chronic foot injury.
Kelly also spoke about the development of the quarterbacks, secondary and wide receivers, among other topics, in the 19-minute media session below.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Go behind the scenes & inside the huddles from our 2017 Blue-Gold Game. #GoIrish https://t.co/MU7EJ3gDZT 16 hours ago
- Student. Athlete. Irish. #4for40 twitter.com/si_ncaafb/stat… 20 hours ago
- 🏈Celebrate #NDday by supporting Football, our top-ranked Business School, your favorite Res-Hall & more! ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📽 #NDDay is LIVE! Tune in for appearances from past & current student-athletes celebrating ND. Watch/Donate:https://t.… 2 days ago
- RT @ian_book23: Embrace the moment 🍀 https://t.co/3dd4Z3qifU 2 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
- Softball. Irish Too Hot For Cats In Five, 10-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1