Aug 8, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Though Notre Dame hit the field on Saturday, it was on Wednesday at Practice #5, that the fun truly began. With the entire practice open to the media, the Irish dressed in full pads for the first time this fall.
To the joy of some players (and the dismay of others), it was a country music morning, as the tunes of Kenny Chesney, Jake Owen, Jason Aldean and Zac Brown Band reverberated across the LaBar Practice Complex during warmups.
After stretching and a few position exercises, the Irish broke into the ever-popular and always intense “rodeo drill.”
In the quarterback competition, sophomore Everett Golson and junior Andrew Hendrix have been splitting time, each getting a relatively even number of repetitions in 11-on-11 drills. As always, the Fighting Irish Digital Media crew was on hand, and captured some great action from the big day on the practice field.
If you’re a regular viewer/listener of ESPN’s “Mike and Mike In The Morning,” you may have noticed the absence of former Irish lineman Mike Golic (’85) this week. Golic was in South Bend today and caught up with sons Mike (offensive line) and Jake (tight end), after watching practice. It’s been nearly 20 years since Mike Sr. played in the NFL, so Mike Jr. took advantage of a photo opportunity to show his pops who’s strongest in the Golic household.
During his post-practice media session, Coach Kelly announced a couple of important roster updates, explaining that offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood had left the team for personal reasons, and running back Cameron Roberson would pursue a medical hardship because of a knee injury he suffered in spring 2011. This news came just a few days after Kelly announced a similar future for offensive lineman Brad Carrico, who is dealing with a chronic foot injury.
Kelly also spoke about the development of the quarterbacks, secondary and wide receivers, among other topics, in the 19-minute media session below.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 54 NFL Reps 57 Media Members 1 University. Our guys worked out in front of crowd at our indoor facility for our Pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- "He's got a big time arm." -Todd McShay A potential top pick in the NFL Draft, QB DeShone Kizer, showed his skills… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @PlayersTribune: An inside look at how @DKizer_14 prepared for his @NDFootball Pro Day. https://t.co/iMy70hv1YF 21 hours ago
- RT @Uniformswag: #ProDay gear for @NDFootball #uniswag https://t.co/Rv12ajt3TS 21 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now