Aug 16, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
As you might know, change is usually not welcomed with open arms at Notre Dame.
The destruction of Frosh-O (at least the Frosh-O that first welcomed many alums to campus life).
The relocation and restraining of the Keenan Revue (As a former Knight, I’m a little upset about this one).
The diminishing size of the dining hall trays (Yes, this was a point of contention for some students).
Thinking about how often we associate the word “tradition” with Notre Dame, one can only imagine how people might react to the idea of changing the “traditional” Irish football uniforms.
In partnership with adidas, Notre Dame unveiled the 2012 Shamrock Series uniform at this afternoon’s Media Day (The uniforms will be worn against Miami at Soldier Field on Oct. 6).
As you can see from the Facebook photo gallery, the leprechaun is prominently featured this year, and the helmets are vastly different from the “Golden Dome” we’re used to seeing.
No matter how you feel about the uniforms, altering the football team’s game attire does not change Notre Dame (In fact, I think I could argue that changing Frosh-O and the Keenan Revue did more to transform who we are).
I had the opportunity to attend each of the last two Shamrock Series games – New York in 2010 and Washington, D.C. last year. From a band concert in Times Square to a pep rally on the National Mall, everything about the “home away from home” weekend was special.
It says a lot about the university, that Notre Dame can sell out a stadium 706 miles from the House That Rock Built or stop traffic for a performance in one of the world’s busiest commercial intersections.
The Shamrock Series is unique, and as fans, it has afforded us some special experiences. On that same level, it’s an extraordinary opportunity for the student-athletes too – playing in a professional stadium, representing Notre Dame in primetime on national television, and yes, wearing a different uniform.
At the end of the day, it’s still Notre Dame. It’s still the same university and football team that each of us has grown to love. A one-time uniform should not change that.
For more on the uniforms, check out Fighting Irish Digital Media’s video below – Jack Nolan recently sat down with University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick for a great brief interview.
And here’s the official release video from adidas.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at NCAA Birmingham Regional
- W. Golf. Campbell Repeats as All-ACC Selection
- M. Basketball. Irish To Face Defending National Champion Villanova In Inaugural Never Forget Tribute Classic
- W. Swimming. Irish Add Ninth Signee to Incoming Freshman Class
- M. Tennis. Irish To Face Stanford In NCAA Championship First Round
- W. Tennis. Irish To Face UCLA In NCAA Championship First Round
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Garnsey Earn Major ACC Men's Lacrosse Awards
- Baseball. Getting To Know Baseball's Cole Daily
- Football. 2016 Notre Dame National Football League Draft Recap
- Baseball. Getting To Know Baseball's Nick Podkul