Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Eight days away from his team’s flight to Ireland, head coach Brian Kelly met with the media this afternoon at the Isban Auditorium.
Unfortunately, Coach Kelly affirmed last night’s big rumor around the ND Twittersphere – cornerback Lo Wood suffered an Achilles injury during Monday’s practice and will be sidelined for the entire 2012 season.
Wood’s name popped up frequently throughout the summer, with several coaches talking about how impressive he had been during training camp. That being said, I’d put this right alongside Tim Abromaitis’s ACL tear among injuries that make my stomach sick.
Not only does an Achilles rupture sound incredibly painful, but hearing about how much Wood had improved just makes it that much worse. Fortunately for Wood, he will be able to return for the 2013 football season, unlike Abro, whose injury ended his collegiate basketball career.
Needless to say, it’s a devastating injury. The Irish already lacked experience at cornerback, even with Wood projected to be in the lineup. As Kelly talked about in his press conference today, sophomores Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson, and freshman KeiVarae Russell are among the young players who could step up to fill the void in Wood’s absence.
Check out the entirety of Coach Kelly’s press conference below. And for those wondering, here’s a spoiler alert: There’s no word about who will start at quarterback on Sept. 1.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 54 NFL Reps 57 Media Members 1 University. Our guys worked out in front of crowd at our indoor facility for our Pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- "He's got a big time arm." -Todd McShay A potential top pick in the NFL Draft, QB DeShone Kizer, showed his skills… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @PlayersTribune: An inside look at how @DKizer_14 prepared for his @NDFootball Pro Day. https://t.co/iMy70hv1YF 21 hours ago
- RT @Uniformswag: #ProDay gear for @NDFootball #uniswag https://t.co/Rv12ajt3TS 21 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now