Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Eight days away from his team’s flight to Ireland, head coach Brian Kelly met with the media this afternoon at the Isban Auditorium.
Unfortunately, Coach Kelly affirmed last night’s big rumor around the ND Twittersphere – cornerback Lo Wood suffered an Achilles injury during Monday’s practice and will be sidelined for the entire 2012 season.
Wood’s name popped up frequently throughout the summer, with several coaches talking about how impressive he had been during training camp. That being said, I’d put this right alongside Tim Abromaitis’s ACL tear among injuries that make my stomach sick.
Not only does an Achilles rupture sound incredibly painful, but hearing about how much Wood had improved just makes it that much worse. Fortunately for Wood, he will be able to return for the 2013 football season, unlike Abro, whose injury ended his collegiate basketball career.
Needless to say, it’s a devastating injury. The Irish already lacked experience at cornerback, even with Wood projected to be in the lineup. As Kelly talked about in his press conference today, sophomores Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson, and freshman KeiVarae Russell are among the young players who could step up to fill the void in Wood’s absence.
Check out the entirety of Coach Kelly’s press conference below. And for those wondering, here’s a spoiler alert: There’s no word about who will start at quarterback on Sept. 1.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- The Megaphone is coming home! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/DHv0zz2r9l 3 hours ago
- RT @DOCnation_7: That's what we do!!!! Great win twitter.com/ndfootball/sta… 3 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: We came to East Lansing for one thing, the Megaphone Trophy!!! Now we're leaving with it!!! Go Irish!! https://t.co/… 3 hours ago
- RT @ChaseClaypool: "Throw it up, B" 🤙🏾 twitter.com/barstoolirish/… 3 hours ago
- Vote now for offensive player of the game: @ChaseClaypool: 4-4, 56YDS @DexterW_22: 2TD, 48 YDS @WimbushB7: 14-20, 173 YDS, 1 TD #GoIrish ☘ 3 hours ago
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish and the Heismen
- W. Golf. Albrecht Records Career Low Round
- Football. '66 Irish-Spartan Clash: A Lifetime of Memories
- M. Tennis. Day 2 Complete At Alabama
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Looks to Rebound Versus #24 Wolfpack
- W. Volleyball. Irish Drop Five-Setter At Louisville In ACC Opener
- M. Soccer. Virginia Tech Grabs Win Over #1 Irish 2-1
- M. Tennis. Irish Fare Well On Day 1 At Alabama
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Tickets On Sale
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Travels to Shoal Creek Invitational