Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Eight days away from his team’s flight to Ireland, head coach Brian Kelly met with the media this afternoon at the Isban Auditorium.
Unfortunately, Coach Kelly affirmed last night’s big rumor around the ND Twittersphere – cornerback Lo Wood suffered an Achilles injury during Monday’s practice and will be sidelined for the entire 2012 season.
Wood’s name popped up frequently throughout the summer, with several coaches talking about how impressive he had been during training camp. That being said, I’d put this right alongside Tim Abromaitis’s ACL tear among injuries that make my stomach sick.
Not only does an Achilles rupture sound incredibly painful, but hearing about how much Wood had improved just makes it that much worse. Fortunately for Wood, he will be able to return for the 2013 football season, unlike Abro, whose injury ended his collegiate basketball career.
Needless to say, it’s a devastating injury. The Irish already lacked experience at cornerback, even with Wood projected to be in the lineup. As Kelly talked about in his press conference today, sophomores Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson, and freshman KeiVarae Russell are among the young players who could step up to fill the void in Wood’s absence.
Check out the entirety of Coach Kelly’s press conference below. And for those wondering, here’s a spoiler alert: There’s no word about who will start at quarterback on Sept. 1.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title