Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Eight days away from his team’s flight to Ireland, head coach Brian Kelly met with the media this afternoon at the Isban Auditorium.
Unfortunately, Coach Kelly affirmed last night’s big rumor around the ND Twittersphere – cornerback Lo Wood suffered an Achilles injury during Monday’s practice and will be sidelined for the entire 2012 season.
Wood’s name popped up frequently throughout the summer, with several coaches talking about how impressive he had been during training camp. That being said, I’d put this right alongside Tim Abromaitis’s ACL tear among injuries that make my stomach sick.
Not only does an Achilles rupture sound incredibly painful, but hearing about how much Wood had improved just makes it that much worse. Fortunately for Wood, he will be able to return for the 2013 football season, unlike Abro, whose injury ended his collegiate basketball career.
Needless to say, it’s a devastating injury. The Irish already lacked experience at cornerback, even with Wood projected to be in the lineup. As Kelly talked about in his press conference today, sophomores Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson, and freshman KeiVarae Russell are among the young players who could step up to fill the void in Wood’s absence.
Check out the entirety of Coach Kelly’s press conference below. And for those wondering, here’s a spoiler alert: There’s no word about who will start at quarterback on Sept. 1.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sneak p… 12 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Defensive Line Pool Party and BBQ!! Unwinding after an intense summer and getting ready for push this fall! GO IRISH… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go from ND… 1 day ago
- RT @ChaseClaypool: Jet skiing.. Boating .. Tubing and a feast !! @CoachBrianKelly does it right !! #Team1 ☘️ https://t.co/5NSRDHXUaC 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps