Aug 23, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
As you probably know by now, 2012 marks the 125th year of Notre Dame Football. Throughout the season, 125.nd.edu will be the digital home for the university’s celebration of this historic milestone. Beginning on Monday, Aug. 27, the website will feature writing, content from Notre Dame’s University Archives, images and video commemorating the history of the Fighting Irish.
A tease of the website was launched in April and includes three features, each from a different era in Notre Dame’s football history. The stories are inspired by the words “strong and true” from the Alma Mater, and will document strong feats of athletic achievement to true accomplishments of the head and the heart.
If you’ve seen any of Fighting Irish Digital Media’s videos over the last year, you might remember the familiar opening, featuring the Notre Dame drumline and “Go Irish Go!” chant.
In preparation for the exciting and exclusive content FIDM has planned for the 2012 season, the opening graphic has gotten a new look.
While many probably recognize these spectacular radio calls, taken out of context, it might be tough to remember the specific moment they are from.
“Notre Dame is number one!” – Tony Roberts, Florida St ’93: The famous Irish play-by-play man celebrates following Shawn Wooden’s batted pass, helping the second-ranked Irish seal a victory over the #1 Seminoles in the “Game of the Century.”
“Notre Dame with a miracle win as the clock runs out!” – Al Wester, Michigan ’80: Wester, the color commentator alongside Roberts in the booth, describes the improbable win after a 51-yard field goal from Harry Oliver gave Notre Dame a 29-27 win over the rival Wolverines.
“He’s going in! Notre Dame has scored!” – Don Criqui, UCLA ’06: One of the most memorable calls in recent memory, Criqui’s voice tells you everything you need to know about the pandemonium in Notre Dame Stadium as Brady Quinn hit Jeff Samardzija for a go-ahead touchdown with less than a minute to play.
There will be much more coming throughout the year in celebration of 125 Years of Notre Dame Football, so be sure to bookmark the website (125.nd.edu), and for those on Twitter, follow the Irish at @125NDFB.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sneak p… 18 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Defensive Line Pool Party and BBQ!! Unwinding after an intense summer and getting ready for push this fall! GO IRISH… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go from ND… 1 day ago
- RT @ChaseClaypool: Jet skiing.. Boating .. Tubing and a feast !! @CoachBrianKelly does it right !! #Team1 ☘️ https://t.co/5NSRDHXUaC 2 days ago
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers