Aug 23, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
As you probably know by now, 2012 marks the 125th year of Notre Dame Football. Throughout the season, 125.nd.edu will be the digital home for the university’s celebration of this historic milestone. Beginning on Monday, Aug. 27, the website will feature writing, content from Notre Dame’s University Archives, images and video commemorating the history of the Fighting Irish.
A tease of the website was launched in April and includes three features, each from a different era in Notre Dame’s football history. The stories are inspired by the words “strong and true” from the Alma Mater, and will document strong feats of athletic achievement to true accomplishments of the head and the heart.
If you’ve seen any of Fighting Irish Digital Media’s videos over the last year, you might remember the familiar opening, featuring the Notre Dame drumline and “Go Irish Go!” chant.
In preparation for the exciting and exclusive content FIDM has planned for the 2012 season, the opening graphic has gotten a new look.
While many probably recognize these spectacular radio calls, taken out of context, it might be tough to remember the specific moment they are from.
“Notre Dame is number one!” – Tony Roberts, Florida St ’93: The famous Irish play-by-play man celebrates following Shawn Wooden’s batted pass, helping the second-ranked Irish seal a victory over the #1 Seminoles in the “Game of the Century.”
“Notre Dame with a miracle win as the clock runs out!” – Al Wester, Michigan ’80: Wester, the color commentator alongside Roberts in the booth, describes the improbable win after a 51-yard field goal from Harry Oliver gave Notre Dame a 29-27 win over the rival Wolverines.
“He’s going in! Notre Dame has scored!” – Don Criqui, UCLA ’06: One of the most memorable calls in recent memory, Criqui’s voice tells you everything you need to know about the pandemonium in Notre Dame Stadium as Brady Quinn hit Jeff Samardzija for a go-ahead touchdown with less than a minute to play.
There will be much more coming throughout the year in celebration of 125 Years of Notre Dame Football, so be sure to bookmark the website (125.nd.edu), and for those on Twitter, follow the Irish at @125NDFB.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 7 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships