Aug 27, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
With the official launch of 125.nd.edu, this morning began our digital celebration of 125 Years of Notre Dame Football. The site will tell the story of Notre Dame Football through writing, content from University of Notre Dame Archives, images and video.
In collaboration with AgencyND, Fighting Irish Digital Media will feature 125 “Strong and True” moments, released one per day throughout the next several months. The stories are inspired by the words “strong and true” from the Alma Mater, and will document strong feats of athletic achievement to true accomplishments of the head and the heart.
Today’s launch features four moments, beginning fittingly, with the first game in Notre Dame football history. The inaugural game took place on Nov. 23, 1887 against Michigan. In addition to photos from the University Archives, this moment includes an article about the game, first published in Scholastic, Notre Dame’s student magazine.
You may already be familiar with the other three moments, which debuted in April as a teaser during the week of the Blue-Gold game.
The second moment (#002) features a recent interview with President Emeritus Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C., and tells the story of how he modernized the team’s travel during the late 1940’s and early 1950’s. This Wednesday, the Irish will embark on one of their longest flights to date, when they depart South Bend Airport for Dublin, Ireland.
Moment #003 focuses on Notre Dame’s first “Game of the Century,” a 1935 matchup with Ohio State, in which the Irish mounted a stunning comeback in Columbus for an 18-13 win.
And finally, moment #004 moves ahead to 1982, when running back Allen Pinkett (’86) recalls his memorable touchdown run that helped Notre Dame shock #1 Pittsburgh, 31-16.
Even though these three moments launched first, we re-numbered the moments so that today’s story (the first game) is #001, rather than #004, as it would have if we had kept the original order. That being said, the moments are not going to be released with any particular ranking in mind.
From never-been-told-before stories to good old-fashioned football highlights, there is a lot of exciting content coming over the next several months. Bookmark the page, and check back tomorrow morning for moment #005.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- "I got a will to win!" #GoIrish ☘ #LeagueBouND https://t.co/DUaPeKmwQX 4 hours ago
- The 2018 Coaches Clinic is underway! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/RiVKV8HZp7 7 hours ago
- All 32 #NFL Teams were in attendance at today's Pro Day. #GoIrish ☘ #LeagueBouND https://t.co/AZXIrzSte8 8 hours ago
- RT @NFL: After @NDFootball's Pro Day... The top FIVE @FightingIrish alumni currently in the NFL! https://t.co/R2JxG05qDT 8 hours ago
- Pro Day ✔️. #NFLDraft 🔜. #GoIrish ☘ #LeagueBouND https://t.co/6Uel2bSO9l 9 hours ago
- Softball. Irish, UNC Clash In 2018 Melissa Cook Stadium Opener
- Fencing. Irish Tied For First After Day One At NCAA Championships
- W. Basketball. Irish Head West in Hopes of Spokane Regional Title
- Football. 2018 NFL Pro Day News & Notes
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: Black and Gold Invitational
- W. Basketball. Arike: Also Known As ‘Nightmare'
- W. Basketball. Three Irish Named WBCA All-America Regional Finalists
- W. Tennis. Irish Face Tough Tests In Trip To Triangle
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp