Aug 27, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
With the official launch of 125.nd.edu, this morning began our digital celebration of 125 Years of Notre Dame Football. The site will tell the story of Notre Dame Football through writing, content from University of Notre Dame Archives, images and video.
In collaboration with AgencyND, Fighting Irish Digital Media will feature 125 “Strong and True” moments, released one per day throughout the next several months. The stories are inspired by the words “strong and true” from the Alma Mater, and will document strong feats of athletic achievement to true accomplishments of the head and the heart.
Today’s launch features four moments, beginning fittingly, with the first game in Notre Dame football history. The inaugural game took place on Nov. 23, 1887 against Michigan. In addition to photos from the University Archives, this moment includes an article about the game, first published in Scholastic, Notre Dame’s student magazine.
You may already be familiar with the other three moments, which debuted in April as a teaser during the week of the Blue-Gold game.
The second moment (#002) features a recent interview with President Emeritus Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C., and tells the story of how he modernized the team’s travel during the late 1940’s and early 1950’s. This Wednesday, the Irish will embark on one of their longest flights to date, when they depart South Bend Airport for Dublin, Ireland.
Moment #003 focuses on Notre Dame’s first “Game of the Century,” a 1935 matchup with Ohio State, in which the Irish mounted a stunning comeback in Columbus for an 18-13 win.
And finally, moment #004 moves ahead to 1982, when running back Allen Pinkett (’86) recalls his memorable touchdown run that helped Notre Dame shock #1 Pittsburgh, 31-16.
Even though these three moments launched first, we re-numbered the moments so that today’s story (the first game) is #001, rather than #004, as it would have if we had kept the original order. That being said, the moments are not going to be released with any particular ranking in mind.
From never-been-told-before stories to good old-fashioned football highlights, there is a lot of exciting content coming over the next several months. Bookmark the page, and check back tomorrow morning for moment #005.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDXCTF: Troy Pride Jr. is back on the track and @NDFootball was here to cheer him on to the finals! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/KpytmUOD… 9 hours ago
- RT @Lions: It's #Showtime! Grab some 🍿 and watch our favorite 🏈 moments from @ShowtimeTate in 2017. #OnePride https://t.co/zYti4yXUeR 9 hours ago
- Taking it back to 2014 when current @Jaguars TE @koymonster caught the game-winning touchdown for the Irish on 4th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- Our men out there supporting @ndwbb in their comeback victory over Tennessee. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/hIQhM7MO79 1 day ago
- #FridayFeeling ☘ #GoIrish https://t.co/jHCSNNF9DQ 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director