Aug 27, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
With the official launch of 125.nd.edu, this morning began our digital celebration of 125 Years of Notre Dame Football. The site will tell the story of Notre Dame Football through writing, content from University of Notre Dame Archives, images and video.
In collaboration with AgencyND, Fighting Irish Digital Media will feature 125 “Strong and True” moments, released one per day throughout the next several months. The stories are inspired by the words “strong and true” from the Alma Mater, and will document strong feats of athletic achievement to true accomplishments of the head and the heart.
Today’s launch features four moments, beginning fittingly, with the first game in Notre Dame football history. The inaugural game took place on Nov. 23, 1887 against Michigan. In addition to photos from the University Archives, this moment includes an article about the game, first published in Scholastic, Notre Dame’s student magazine.
You may already be familiar with the other three moments, which debuted in April as a teaser during the week of the Blue-Gold game.
The second moment (#002) features a recent interview with President Emeritus Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C., and tells the story of how he modernized the team’s travel during the late 1940’s and early 1950’s. This Wednesday, the Irish will embark on one of their longest flights to date, when they depart South Bend Airport for Dublin, Ireland.
Moment #003 focuses on Notre Dame’s first “Game of the Century,” a 1935 matchup with Ohio State, in which the Irish mounted a stunning comeback in Columbus for an 18-13 win.
And finally, moment #004 moves ahead to 1982, when running back Allen Pinkett (’86) recalls his memorable touchdown run that helped Notre Dame shock #1 Pittsburgh, 31-16.
Even though these three moments launched first, we re-numbered the moments so that today’s story (the first game) is #001, rather than #004, as it would have if we had kept the original order. That being said, the moments are not going to be released with any particular ranking in mind.
From never-been-told-before stories to good old-fashioned football highlights, there is a lot of exciting content coming over the next several months. Bookmark the page, and check back tomorrow morning for moment #005.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse. #NDBi… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Jumping for joy because it's less than 40 days until kickoff! 👀 @NDFootball https://t.co/wB8HJTP72D 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2nd TD… 1 day ago
- RT @SimonShayne: https://t.co/DgEdxeAE60 1 day ago
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 3 days ago
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka