Aug 30, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Senior Associate A.D./Media & Broadcast Relations director John Heisler is on the ground with the Fighting Irish in Dublin, and checks into the blog with some news and notes from the Emerald Isle.
- There was a definite green theme to Notre Dame’s overnight flight to Dublin. The Irish players and most of the coaches and football staff wore bright green sweatsuits and hats. Ask for water and it came with a (green) lime and a miniature Ireland flag. The inside of the Delta plane was festooned with green theming.
- The Irish flight arrived a half-hour early but had to wait about 20 minutes because there was no gate available at the Dublin airport. There were racks of Notre Dame and Navy gear on sale the minute the Notre Dame traveling party passed through customs and entered the Aer Lingus terminal. By the time the team buses pulled out a little before 8 a.m., the sun shone bright and there was not a cloud in the sky.
- The Irish squad had time to get organized, ate a 10 a.m. breakfast at the hotel, and then jumped on buses at 10:45 am. to head to Aviva Stadium—with six members of the Garda providing a motorcycle escort.
- Notre Dame’s team normally wears black adidas shoes for its games, but against Navy the Irish squad will wear a special orange, green and white adidas shoes modeled after colors of the Ireland flag.
- The Irish squad practiced for about 90 minutes in shorts on the Aviva practice pitch (artificial turf) in extremely windy conditions, with a large group of mostly Ireland media interviewing coach Brian Kelly and captains Kapron Lewis-Moore, Manti Te’o, Tyler Eifert and Zack Martin after the workout ended.
- Among practice visitors was a group representing the Belfast Trojans, who won the Ireland American football title this summer. The team reps brought with them the 2012 Shamrock Bowl they won and had their picture taken with the crystal cup and Kelly.
- After practice, Kelly’s squad headed to Taylors Three Rock Pub in Rathfarnham for a late lunch and an exhibition of Irish dancing. The team ate dinner at its hotel and retired early after two days that seemingly became one.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @MikeDenbrock: Let's Find a Way to be Great at what we do Today. #GetitDone #GoIrish 15 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Happy 92nd Birthday, Ara! It's hard to show what you mean to us in a tweet, but mentor, friend & champion is a start … 16 hours ago
- Apologize this is a little late but it's just to beautiful of a site not to RT #GoldenDomes twitter.com/NDFBEquipment/… 22 hours ago
- Happy birthday to the man that brought us National Championships in '66 & '73. Ara Parseghian turns 92 today. http://t.co/R4JFcqdDku 1 day ago
- Rising FR DL @JerryTillery embraces the museums & culture of Johannesburg. #SouthAfricaBouND ExpaND your Horizons twitter.com/JerryTillery/s… 1 day ago
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Another Notre Dame Men's Lax First -- Consecutive NCAA Final Fours
- M. Lacrosse. Seven Irish Players Cop USILA All-America Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Falls In NCAA Doubles Championship
- Baseball. Wolfpack Pitching Shuts Down Irish In ACC Opener
- M. Tennis. Irish Trio Advance to Round of 16 At NCAA Singles & Doubles Championships
- W. Soccer. Top Contests Comprise 2015 Irish Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Tennis. Monaghan On To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Named Lacrosse Magazine Player of the Week
- Baseball. Irish Set To Compete In First ACC Tournament
- M. Lacrosse. Baumers Endow Irish Men's Lacrosse Head Coaching Position