Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Love Thee Notre Dame ☘️ https://t.co/Wg55lDjnvd 11 hours ago
- DeShone ➡️ EQ The 12-yard touchdown puts the Irish back on top. ND 35 | Duke 28 4 Q 7:46 https://t.co/gIDFHKItLc 12 hours ago
- Young guys stepping up. Freshman cornerback Donte Vaughn gets his first career interception in the 3rd quarter. https://t.co/1lwkJDzEie 12 hours ago
- INTERCEPTION! Freshman Donte Vaughn makes a big time play in the end zone. https://t.co/vkSdNyIylD 12 hours ago
- TOUCHDOWN IRISH! Sophomore Josh Adams runs it 9 yards into the end zone. https://t.co/T1bCPWr0Ph 12 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Battle at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Eighth After Two Rounds At The Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Pittsburgh
- Football. Late Field Goal Upends Irish
- M. Golf. Barens' Eagle Boosts Irish First Round
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Sting #2 Orange 2-1 On Late Gallagher Tally
- W. Volleyball. Irish Impress in 3-0 Win Over Louisville
- Softball. Irish Prepare For Historic Meeting With USSSA Pride
- Football. The Upsized Irish Football Recruiting Process
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame to Unveil New Floor for ACC Opener