Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
After months of anticipation, Irish fans finally got the opportunity to see their team open the 2012 season. After watching Notre Dame take on Navy in Dublin, Ireland, Irish fans have learned a lot about their team. Here are three things I learned:
1) Manti Te’o is the best linebacker in the nation: Considering his elite status, it is hard to believe that Te’o recorded two firsts of his career on Saturday. Manti registered both his first career interception and his first career fumble recovery. Although Manti only recorded six tackles against Navy (a stat on which most normally focus), his versatility shined in Dublin as he seemed to traverse the entire pitch.
2) Notre Dame has great depth at running back: Senior Theo Riddick and sophomore George Atkinson III dominated the game from the start. Riddick collected 107 yards and 2 TDs while Atkinson ran for 99 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Cam McDaniel added 59 yards in the second half. The Irish ran at will over the Midshipmen as they averaged 6.4 yards per carry and converted 7 of 10 (70%) third downs. While Everett Golson continues to gain experience at quarterback, Notre Dame will be able to rely on their running backs.
3) The Irish defense can cause turnovers: Notre Dame forced four turnovers in the season opener. Te’o had a fumble recovery and an interception, Dan McCarthy added a fumble recovery and Stephon Tuitt returned a fumble recovery 77 yards for a touchdown. Additionally, the Irish are +3 in turnover margin after only one game, a vast improvement over their 2011 campaign.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Don't miss the Brian Kelly Radio Show LIVE with special guest Ron Powlus. UND.com/BKRadioShow http://t.co/BgrLZaEWsp 2 hours ago
- RT @UnderArmour: Counting down the 5 most iconic #NDvsNavy games - No. 5: @NDFootball begins a 43-year streak of dominance. #Respect http:/… 2 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: This is what we mean by Culture Beats Scheme. Drue had surgery today & is already itching to get back on the field! h… 2 hours ago
- RT @KathrynTappen: The backdrop at practice may be different but the rivalry remains the same. @NavyFB & @NDFootball x89 @NDonNBC http://t.… 3 hours ago
- The golden arm of Ron Powlus will be on display tonight at O'Rourkes for the Coach Kelly Radio Show at 7:30PM ET. http://t.co/QaLZ94xwSh 3 hours ago
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances In Main Draw At All-American Championships
- Fencing. Irish Release 2015-16 Schedule
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Game Notes: Exhibition Weekend Awaits
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Hosts Fourth Annual Playing for Peace Clinic
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy Football 2015: A Game of Mutual Respect
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Syracuse
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish And Michigan Battle To 1-1 Draw
- W. Tennis. Gleason Snags Ranked Wins In All-American Back Draw
- Football. Epic Heroes And Last-Minute Victories Have Defined Notre Dame's Tradition On The Gridiron
- M. Ice Hockey. Five Former Irish Hockey Players On NHL Opening Night Rosters