Sep 6, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
On Saturday, the Irish return to Notre Dame Stadium for the first time since November, and today, the IBG returns to the Strong and True blog for the first time since, well, last week.
Anyway, below are this week’s questions, as well as Subway Domer’s responses.
The 2012 Notre Dame football team has an interesting mix of veteran leaders and talented youth. In Dublin, 20 student-athletes saw their first collegiate action. Of these first-year competitors, pick three who you think will have the biggest impact on Saturday’s game against Purdue. Why?
1) Everett Golson: This is an obvious choice, but leaving him out would be totally inaccurate. I expect the playbook to open up a little bit more and perhaps we see more vertical play coming off of the playaction.
2) Mathias Farley: Farley played well in his role and I expect more of the same against a spread team like Purdue. The Irish still have major question marks at DOG, and using Farley as that nickelback in place of the DOG will be key in slowing down the Boiler offense.
3) Davonte Neal: This one is just a hunch. Something just tells me that we are going to see a play or two from Neal and go; OMGZ… that’s a playa y’all!
Against Navy, Notre Dame rushed the ball twice as many times as it passed (46-23). Is it more of the same against Purdue? If you’re Coach Kelly, do you rely heavily on Theo Riddick and George Atkinson III again, or do you look to build Everett Golson’s confidence and start to open up the passing game?
I think we will still see a lot of running plays, but at the same time, we should start to see more playaction with our tight ends as primary targets- but also more looks at what else is flying down the field. So yeah… more of the same, but with a bit more variety.
With Saturday being the first home game of the 2012 season, the stadium atmosphere will undoubtedly be one of the hot debate topics among Irish fans, bloggers and tweeters. When asked about this topic in his pressconference on Tuesday, Coach Kelly said, “…We win games, it will be nice and loud.” Aside from winning, what’s your solution? How can Notre Dame return the intimidation factor to The House Rockne Built? If you were in charge of stadium music, what’s the one song you would absolutely include on your playlist?
I usually pride myself on always having an answer for everything, but this is a tough one. There was a point in time where Notre Dame just decided to go in one direction as opposed to another. Notre Dame is the Disney experience of college football, and I’m not quite sure it will ever shed itself from that label.
Notre Dame fans are too nice, too sober, and too old to turn itself into one of those SEC or Big Ten like environments, and I don’t see that changing. I really don’t have an answer outside of turning the stadium into a raging kegger with cage fights in between action. Oh yeah… Jumbotron.
The one song??? Too tough. I’m going to have to give a 1A & 1B and even that is leaving out a lot of good stuff.
1A) “Ace of Spades” – Motorhead
1B) “Bagpipes of War” – Skiltron
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- We are ND. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/E1Oc0RTGUm 3 hours ago
- Midyear enrollee @OvieOghoufo could eat ribs every single day. Get to know more about the LB ⬇️. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Happy birthday, @Jahmir_trapical! 🎉 #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/FryfYOFOW7 13 hours ago
- RT @j_owuu: I promise, I have worked my whole life for this. 😪 #TrustTheProcess Sluggards do not plow in season; so at harvest time they… 1 day ago
- Notre Dame Stadium = PERFECTION. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/qAsWAgS2F7 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Soar To 4th-Place ACC Finish
- Softball. #25 Irish Overwhelm St. John's 7-1
- M. Ice Hockey. #3 Irish Fall To Michigan State, 4-3, In Regular Season Finale
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Yeadon Holds Big Dreams for Irish
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon