Sep 16, 2012, 2:40 AM EST
In all my years of cheering for old Notre Dame, I’ve never been more proud than tonight.
The Fighting Irish went to Spartan Stadium and silenced the raucous home crowd, holding Michigan State to three points and just 237 total yards in a dominating 20-3 victory.
On a night when absolutely no one could have blamed him for having an off game, Manti Te’o came through with one of the most inspiring performances I’ve ever seen – 12 tackles, one for a loss, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
“I’ve been around sports for 30 years and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone as special as that young man,” University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said, when asked about the senior linebacker earlier this evening.
In an unforgettable scene after the game, the players made their way to the Notre Dame section of the stadium. Chants of “Let’s go Irish!,” “We are ND!” and “Beat Michigan!” reverberated around the quickly-emptying Spartan Stadium (many Michigan State fans began heading for the exits with about five minutes remaining). Though the Notre Dame Marching Band did not make the trip this weekend, students and fans joined the team for a rendition of the alma mater before the Irish headed back to the locker room.
We’ll have more coming on the blog later this weekend, but for now, enjoy this one. The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade, and they’re getting ready to host a night game against Michigan next Saturday.
Oh, and Southern Cal lost tonight.
If you’re a Notre Dame fan, all feels right in the college football world.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDsidBertschy: 37- differ starters 14- 50+ yd TDs 10- Ws 4- Ws vs 8+ win tms (t-best in FBS) 2- Ls by comb. 4 pts at #1, #9 1- Team 127… 3 hours ago
- RT @MikeDenbrock: Be Proud of our Notre Dame Men. Fighting is all they know. It is an honor to be part of #Team127. #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- RT @RomeoND45: No group of guys I'd rather go to battle with than the guys right next to me in that locker room. Tough loss, but we will bo… 4 hours ago
- RT @C_Breezy2k12: Changed the CULTURE ,PRIDE and ATTITUDE.They more than teammates.They are my Blood Brothers FOREVER ! #Team127🍀🍀🙏🏾 https… 5 hours ago
- "I'm proud of our guys, I'm proud of the way they fought; the other team just made one more play tonight." https://t.co/HZucvnuXlV 5 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish Defeat Western Michigan 3-1
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Meets Alabama In Final Game Of 2015 Advocate Invitational
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 92, UCLA 84 (OT)
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Defeat UCLA 92-84 in Overtime
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: NCAA Championship Round of 16
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Vs. Iowa Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish Fall To No. 8 Harvard 4-1 In Shillelagh Opener
- M. Basketball. Beachem Scores 16, No. 17 Notre Dame Beats Iowa 68-62
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Duel With UCLA Saturday In Bahamas