Sep 16, 2012, 2:40 AM EDT
In all my years of cheering for old Notre Dame, I’ve never been more proud than tonight.
The Fighting Irish went to Spartan Stadium and silenced the raucous home crowd, holding Michigan State to three points and just 237 total yards in a dominating 20-3 victory.
On a night when absolutely no one could have blamed him for having an off game, Manti Te’o came through with one of the most inspiring performances I’ve ever seen – 12 tackles, one for a loss, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
“I’ve been around sports for 30 years and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone as special as that young man,” University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said, when asked about the senior linebacker earlier this evening.
In an unforgettable scene after the game, the players made their way to the Notre Dame section of the stadium. Chants of “Let’s go Irish!,” “We are ND!” and “Beat Michigan!” reverberated around the quickly-emptying Spartan Stadium (many Michigan State fans began heading for the exits with about five minutes remaining). Though the Notre Dame Marching Band did not make the trip this weekend, students and fans joined the team for a rendition of the alma mater before the Irish headed back to the locker room.
We’ll have more coming on the blog later this weekend, but for now, enjoy this one. The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade, and they’re getting ready to host a night game against Michigan next Saturday.
Oh, and Southern Cal lost tonight.
If you’re a Notre Dame fan, all feels right in the college football world.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Not in our house. #GoIrish ☘ #TBT https://t.co/7TLbmhkjxC 2 hours ago
- Only 4️⃣4️⃣ more days until @JJammer44 takes the field. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/C6AGZqIiMe 3 hours ago
- RT @LoganPlantz: Please help me and the rest of @NDFootball raise awareness about our #LifeForLife event July 20th. The team’s desire to ut… 5 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: "Come see us on the court." @arike_o is a force to be reckoned with. And now, she's an #ESPY award winner. We couldn't be prou… 5 hours ago
- The Irish are proud to dedicate their performance of Lift For Life to inspire the Rare Disease Community with hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach