Sep 16, 2012, 2:40 AM EST
In all my years of cheering for old Notre Dame, I’ve never been more proud than tonight.
The Fighting Irish went to Spartan Stadium and silenced the raucous home crowd, holding Michigan State to three points and just 237 total yards in a dominating 20-3 victory.
On a night when absolutely no one could have blamed him for having an off game, Manti Te’o came through with one of the most inspiring performances I’ve ever seen – 12 tackles, one for a loss, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
“I’ve been around sports for 30 years and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone as special as that young man,” University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said, when asked about the senior linebacker earlier this evening.
In an unforgettable scene after the game, the players made their way to the Notre Dame section of the stadium. Chants of “Let’s go Irish!,” “We are ND!” and “Beat Michigan!” reverberated around the quickly-emptying Spartan Stadium (many Michigan State fans began heading for the exits with about five minutes remaining). Though the Notre Dame Marching Band did not make the trip this weekend, students and fans joined the team for a rendition of the alma mater before the Irish headed back to the locker room.
We’ll have more coming on the blog later this weekend, but for now, enjoy this one. The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade, and they’re getting ready to host a night game against Michigan next Saturday.
Oh, and Southern Cal lost tonight.
If you’re a Notre Dame fan, all feels right in the college football world.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's more than a game for Wuerffel Trophy finalist @DTranquill. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/N5IBzF6BLI 2 hours ago
- RT @ndfb101: For Black Friday this year, treat yourself or the ladies in your life to an evening with @NDFootball! Discounted registration… 3 hours ago
- Grit Wednesday is off to a 🔥 start! #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/EyAiSFjPql 4 hours ago
- Locked 🔒 in on one thing. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/J3Mtep4p7z 20 hours ago
- The Irish come in at No. 8 in this week's #CFBPlayoff ranking. #GoIrish ☘ #BeatCardinal https://t.co/eSOWhwhjTM 21 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
- Football. Ninth-Ranked Irish Look To Harvest 10th Win
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. LSU - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Farrell Turns In Career Performance In 83-56 Rout Of Chaminade
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named Outland Trophy Finalist
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: What the Irish Learned