Sep 16, 2012, 2:40 AM EDT
In all my years of cheering for old Notre Dame, I’ve never been more proud than tonight.
The Fighting Irish went to Spartan Stadium and silenced the raucous home crowd, holding Michigan State to three points and just 237 total yards in a dominating 20-3 victory.
On a night when absolutely no one could have blamed him for having an off game, Manti Te’o came through with one of the most inspiring performances I’ve ever seen – 12 tackles, one for a loss, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
“I’ve been around sports for 30 years and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone as special as that young man,” University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said, when asked about the senior linebacker earlier this evening.
In an unforgettable scene after the game, the players made their way to the Notre Dame section of the stadium. Chants of “Let’s go Irish!,” “We are ND!” and “Beat Michigan!” reverberated around the quickly-emptying Spartan Stadium (many Michigan State fans began heading for the exits with about five minutes remaining). Though the Notre Dame Marching Band did not make the trip this weekend, students and fans joined the team for a rendition of the alma mater before the Irish headed back to the locker room.
We’ll have more coming on the blog later this weekend, but for now, enjoy this one. The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade, and they’re getting ready to host a night game against Michigan next Saturday.
Oh, and Southern Cal lost tonight.
If you’re a Notre Dame fan, all feels right in the college football world.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: #WeAreND 1 hour ago
- Not a bad day when an NFL All-Pro alum comes back to talk with your guys. Keep doin' your thing with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Burst. Hops. Heart. Cole Luke showed out at our Pro Day prior to the 2017 NFL Draft. #NDintheNFL https://t.co/RXVSuqe8qj 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at our Pro… 1 day ago
- RT @dalex3333: We can never have enough great players take the field on game day. Recruiting never stops! We want the best of the best. Who… 1 day ago
- Track. Aragon Finishes Seventh at Raleigh Relays
- Baseball. Sunday Brunch: Nussbaum Still Makes Plays
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Earns Highest NCAA Championship Point Total, Finish in School History
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Roll Past Buckeyes
- Fencing. Notre Dame Strengthens Lead After Day 3 At NCAA Fencing Championships
- Fencing. Irish Increase Lead At NCAA Championship
- Baseball. Bass Strong As Irish Fall To Seminoles
- Softball. Irish Fire On All Cylinders To VT Series Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Rally Past No. 1 Seed Minnesota, 3-2
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory