Sep 16, 2012, 2:40 AM EDT
In all my years of cheering for old Notre Dame, I’ve never been more proud than tonight.
The Fighting Irish went to Spartan Stadium and silenced the raucous home crowd, holding Michigan State to three points and just 237 total yards in a dominating 20-3 victory.
On a night when absolutely no one could have blamed him for having an off game, Manti Te’o came through with one of the most inspiring performances I’ve ever seen – 12 tackles, one for a loss, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
“I’ve been around sports for 30 years and I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone as special as that young man,” University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said, when asked about the senior linebacker earlier this evening.
In an unforgettable scene after the game, the players made their way to the Notre Dame section of the stadium. Chants of “Let’s go Irish!,” “We are ND!” and “Beat Michigan!” reverberated around the quickly-emptying Spartan Stadium (many Michigan State fans began heading for the exits with about five minutes remaining). Though the Notre Dame Marching Band did not make the trip this weekend, students and fans joined the team for a rendition of the alma mater before the Irish headed back to the locker room.
We’ll have more coming on the blog later this weekend, but for now, enjoy this one. The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade, and they’re getting ready to host a night game against Michigan next Saturday.
Oh, and Southern Cal lost tonight.
If you’re a Notre Dame fan, all feels right in the college football world.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @thejaylonsmith: Used to have to create a player Young bull finally on Madden😈 #dreams #Cowboys #Southside #ClearEyeView #260 https://t.… 2 hours ago
- RT @ESPNCFB: The special edition @Marvel covers with the originals they were inspired by. The Road to the Playoff starts now. https://t.co… 4 hours ago
- Saturday's practice included a visit from a very special fan. The Red Army welcomes Kellen McCord to the family. https://t.co/hR7mCB97zE 4 hours ago
- RT @Brodiesmith21: Ok so Notre Dame is straight fire 🔥 5 hours ago
- RT @Brodiesmith21: Notre Dame trophy room https://t.co/HpIShbmg2u 7 hours ago
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sister Helps U.S. To Silver Medal
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Utilize Strong Attack With Opening Clean Sheet Against UC Irvine
- W. Volleyball. Irish Score Season-Opening Sweep Over Seton Hall
- Cross Country. Fighting Irish Prepared For Looming 2016 Schedule
- Softball. Irish Softball Academies Return In October
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016
- W. Volleyball. No Limits As Irish Embark Upon 2016
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Fall To Wolverines 2-0
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Begin New Season With Berticelli Memorial Tournament
- M. Ice Hockey. Holmberg And Novak Added To Hockey Roster