Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 AM EST
On the first night of autumn, The Four Seasons said it best. Oh, what a night in South Bend.
Notre Dame defeated Michigan for the first time since 2008, and perhaps even better, the Irish finished September with a perfect 4-0 record.
It was not always pretty – after all, the teams combined for eight turnovers – but the blue & gold prevailed, 13-6, in a hard fought battle at Notre Dame Stadium.
The 2012 Notre Dame defense continues to make its case as one of the best in the country. After Denard Robinson burned them for nearly 1,000 yards over the past two seasons, the Irish sacked the Wolverines quarterback three times and held Michigan to just 299 yards of total offense.
The stout defense forced six turnovers – including an unbelievable stretch in which it picked off five consecutive Michigan passes.
Following up on his unforgettable performance at Michigan State, Manti Te’o picked up where he left off, finishing with eight tackles and two interceptions.
After the game, it was a heck of a scene on the field, as the students and players celebrated like I’ve never seen before. Many fans stuck around for nearly a half hour, and the fun culminated when the stadium speakers started blaring Frankie Valli’s signature hit.
Soak it in, students. Dance all the way to Finny’s and The Backer. Enjoy this victory because it’s a night you should never forget.
We’ll have more coming later, but for now, enjoy a special game night edition of Irish Connection, as well as a post-game on-field interview with cornerback Bennett Jackson.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NFL: “He looked like a potential 1st overall pick.” on.nfl.com/Qubg7J (via @MoveTheSticks) https://t.co/SaNjaXFwYv 2 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Nothin' quite like it. See you soon Notre Dame Nation. #tictoc https://t.co/W1r5CGKA8L 3 hours ago
- You can't forget about how Stephon Tuitt brought the BOOM at ND! Good luck to Tuitt & Michael Floyd in AFC Title g… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElko: Beautiful night on top of the Notre Dame Stadium! Touchdown Jesus blessed us with some great weather tonight! https://t.… 8 hours ago
- Good luck to @Packers Associate Head Coach Tom Clements ('75) in NFC Championship Game. Clements led us to 1973 Na… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
- Track. Seidel, Irish Race to Fourth-Place Finish
- M. Basketball. Beachem's Best: Irish Claim 84-66 Victory Over Syracuse
- W. Basketball. Irish Going to Carolina For Sunday Matinee vs. Tar Heels
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Western Michigan & Wright State