Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT
On the first night of autumn, The Four Seasons said it best. Oh, what a night in South Bend.
Notre Dame defeated Michigan for the first time since 2008, and perhaps even better, the Irish finished September with a perfect 4-0 record.
It was not always pretty – after all, the teams combined for eight turnovers – but the blue & gold prevailed, 13-6, in a hard fought battle at Notre Dame Stadium.
The 2012 Notre Dame defense continues to make its case as one of the best in the country. After Denard Robinson burned them for nearly 1,000 yards over the past two seasons, the Irish sacked the Wolverines quarterback three times and held Michigan to just 299 yards of total offense.
The stout defense forced six turnovers – including an unbelievable stretch in which it picked off five consecutive Michigan passes.
Following up on his unforgettable performance at Michigan State, Manti Te’o picked up where he left off, finishing with eight tackles and two interceptions.
After the game, it was a heck of a scene on the field, as the students and players celebrated like I’ve never seen before. Many fans stuck around for nearly a half hour, and the fun culminated when the stadium speakers started blaring Frankie Valli’s signature hit.
Soak it in, students. Dance all the way to Finny’s and The Backer. Enjoy this victory because it’s a night you should never forget.
We’ll have more coming later, but for now, enjoy a special game night edition of Irish Connection, as well as a post-game on-field interview with cornerback Bennett Jackson.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse. #NDBi… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Jumping for joy because it's less than 40 days until kickoff! 👀 @NDFootball https://t.co/wB8HJTP72D 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2nd TD… 1 day ago
- RT @SimonShayne: https://t.co/DgEdxeAE60 1 day ago
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 3 days ago
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka