Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT
On the first night of autumn, The Four Seasons said it best. Oh, what a night in South Bend.
Notre Dame defeated Michigan for the first time since 2008, and perhaps even better, the Irish finished September with a perfect 4-0 record.
It was not always pretty – after all, the teams combined for eight turnovers – but the blue & gold prevailed, 13-6, in a hard fought battle at Notre Dame Stadium.
The 2012 Notre Dame defense continues to make its case as one of the best in the country. After Denard Robinson burned them for nearly 1,000 yards over the past two seasons, the Irish sacked the Wolverines quarterback three times and held Michigan to just 299 yards of total offense.
The stout defense forced six turnovers – including an unbelievable stretch in which it picked off five consecutive Michigan passes.
Following up on his unforgettable performance at Michigan State, Manti Te’o picked up where he left off, finishing with eight tackles and two interceptions.
After the game, it was a heck of a scene on the field, as the students and players celebrated like I’ve never seen before. Many fans stuck around for nearly a half hour, and the fun culminated when the stadium speakers started blaring Frankie Valli’s signature hit.
Soak it in, students. Dance all the way to Finny’s and The Backer. Enjoy this victory because it’s a night you should never forget.
We’ll have more coming later, but for now, enjoy a special game night edition of Irish Connection, as well as a post-game on-field interview with cornerback Bennett Jackson.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @Twins: .@Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph & his wife threw out the first pitch at today’s game and shared a special announcement! https://t.co/N… 8 hours ago
- It's more than a letter jacket. The Notre Dame Monogram Club is a community linking 8,000+ athletes past & present. https://t.co/Y1jtwKCJV6 15 hours ago
- A Notre Dame legend turns 93 today. Happy Birthday Ara Parseghian! https://t.co/GvxIAwJWiW 2 days ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: To a legend I'm lucky enough to call a friend, Happy Birthday Ara! Unreal it's been 50 years since your 1st title! ht… 2 days ago
- We salute all the men and women who have served and continue to serve our country. #ArmedForcesDay https://t.co/92JGVpVK4X 2 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season Finale To #16 Clemson
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Irish Fall in NCAA Quarterfinals, 10-6
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Experience, Perseverence Leads to Shot at Championship Weekend
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To #16 Clemson Friday Night
- Softball. Miami Finds Unlikely Rally To Down #23 Irish 3-2