Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT
On the first night of autumn, The Four Seasons said it best. Oh, what a night in South Bend.
Notre Dame defeated Michigan for the first time since 2008, and perhaps even better, the Irish finished September with a perfect 4-0 record.
It was not always pretty – after all, the teams combined for eight turnovers – but the blue & gold prevailed, 13-6, in a hard fought battle at Notre Dame Stadium.
The 2012 Notre Dame defense continues to make its case as one of the best in the country. After Denard Robinson burned them for nearly 1,000 yards over the past two seasons, the Irish sacked the Wolverines quarterback three times and held Michigan to just 299 yards of total offense.
The stout defense forced six turnovers – including an unbelievable stretch in which it picked off five consecutive Michigan passes.
Following up on his unforgettable performance at Michigan State, Manti Te’o picked up where he left off, finishing with eight tackles and two interceptions.
After the game, it was a heck of a scene on the field, as the students and players celebrated like I’ve never seen before. Many fans stuck around for nearly a half hour, and the fun culminated when the stadium speakers started blaring Frankie Valli’s signature hit.
Soak it in, students. Dance all the way to Finny’s and The Backer. Enjoy this victory because it’s a night you should never forget.
We’ll have more coming later, but for now, enjoy a special game night edition of Irish Connection, as well as a post-game on-field interview with cornerback Bennett Jackson.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Respect. Honor. Tradition. twitter.com/NDFBEquipment/… 1 hour ago
- Great start to the week. Less than 72 hours until kickoff vs Navy. #RespectHonorTradition http://t.co/q4AQKSREox 22 hours ago
- Just another example of the leadership we have on #Team127. Folston continues to show up to practice to help out. http://t.co/4KpihBnTnk 1 day ago
- The Notre Dame vs Navy rivalry is the longest uninterrupted series in college football dating back to 1927. #NAVYvsND http://t.co/iSfFSnxv7p 1 day ago
- RT @ASeasonWith: "Cut it loose and play." - @CoachBrianKelly #ASeasonWith #NotreDameFootball http://t.co/RvNBBuSP9Y 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish And Michigan Battle To 1-1 Draw
- W. Tennis. Gleason Snags Ranked Wins In All-American Back Draw
- Football. Epic Heroes And Last-Minute Victories Have Defined Notre Dame's Tradition On The Gridiron
- M. Ice Hockey. Five Former Irish Hockey Players On NHL Opening Night Rosters
- Football. Players Media Conference Transcript - Navy Week
- M. Lacrosse. Remembering Bob Kemp: Notre Dame Lacrosse Family Honors Devoted Father
- M. Swimming. Stark's Life Lessons Still Resonate Today
- W. Swimming. Stark’s Life Lessons Still Resonate Today
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Turns 100: Volleyball
- W. Volleyball. Monogram Club Turns 100: Volleyball