Sep 24, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
The Notre Dame 13-6 victory over Michigan was punctuated by an incredible defensive effort that forced six Wolverines turnovers and kept them out of the end zone throughout the night. Michigan made five trips to the red zone on Saturday and came away with only two field goals on those five possessions.
Last week, we highlighted the Irish defense and their ability to keep Michigan State out of the red zone altogether, only the second time ND had accomplished the feat in more than ten years. On three other occasions since the start of the 2002 season, Notre Dame kept an opponent from scoring a single point on drives that ended at or across the Irish 20-yard line:
- 2002: Rutgers 0-for-1 (fumble)
- 2009: Nevada 0-for-2 (downs, fumble)
- 2010: Utah 0-for-2 (downs, downs)
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- COMMUNITY ✅ #PillarsOfNotreDame READ: und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/o0L8xlCSxz 57 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ HEADS UP! 100 Days until kickoff in Notre Dame Stadium. 📆 September 2nd 🏈 @NDFootball vs. Temple https://t.co/5I5jQo… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: WR Corey Robinson & S Drew Recker get ready for Sunday's Notre Dame Commencement ceremony in front of scenic "Touchdown Jes… 1 day ago
- Nothin' to see here - just our squad traveling the globe... Some of the guys are seeing Greece, Brazil, Japan & So… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- From 🇧🇷BRAZIL to 🇬🇷GREECE to 🇿🇦SOUTH AFRICA to 🇯🇵JAPAN! Our guys have the chance to see 🌏WORLD through our Irish A… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
- M. Tennis. Hagar Falls In NCAA Championship Second Round
- Track & Field. Harris Receives Academic All-District Honors
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
- Baseball. ACC Championship Marathon Goes To FSU
- M. Tennis. Hagar Weathers First-Round Challenge To Advance At NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Epple, Perkovic and Sexton Headline Irish USILA All-America Selections
- Baseball. WEATHER UPDATE: ND-FSU At 2 p.m.
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- W. Tennis. Robinson Named Program's First National Arthur Ashe Award Winner