Sep 24, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
The Notre Dame 13-6 victory over Michigan was punctuated by an incredible defensive effort that forced six Wolverines turnovers and kept them out of the end zone throughout the night. Michigan made five trips to the red zone on Saturday and came away with only two field goals on those five possessions.
Last week, we highlighted the Irish defense and their ability to keep Michigan State out of the red zone altogether, only the second time ND had accomplished the feat in more than ten years. On three other occasions since the start of the 2002 season, Notre Dame kept an opponent from scoring a single point on drives that ended at or across the Irish 20-yard line:
- 2002: Rutgers 0-for-1 (fumble)
- 2009: Nevada 0-for-2 (downs, fumble)
- 2010: Utah 0-for-2 (downs, downs)
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: DID YOU KNOW? Since the 1st draft in 1936, 485 @NDFootball players have been drafted to the NFL. #NDFacts https://t.co… 1 hour ago
- ☘ Notre Dame alums ✔️ 🏈 Super Bowl Champs ✔️ Proud of our guys Ryan Harris and David Bruton Jr.! https://t.co/cq3BvrymGS 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: To our Super Bowl winners David & Ryan, Congratulations! From AD Jack Swarbrick & the entire @NotreDame Community. htt… 1 day ago
- From one ND Long Snapper to another... Congrats to J.J. Jansen on a great season. twitter.com/sdaly61/status… 1 day ago
- TAILS NEVER FAILS 🏈 ND great and 3-time Super Bowl MVP Joe Montana did the coin toss at Super Bowl 50. https://t.co/mM7k6CuBD9 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83.
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- Softball. The Top 10: Conference History
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61
- Fencing. No. 2 Irish Women Remain Undefeated At Duke Duals
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Snare Doubleheader Wins over No. 53 Indiana, Ball State