Sep 24, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
If you are an Irish fan among the 80,795 who were at Notre Dame Stadium this weekend, Saturday night was one you won’t soon forget. From the impressive play of the defense to the unforgettable post-game celebration, there was much to be commemorated in Notre Dame’s 13-6 victory over Michigan.
One of the ways you can remember the game is through the high-resolution 360-degree photo that was taken during the first quarter. This morning, the 125 Year Celebration Interactive Photo – Presented by South Bend Airport was published on the 125 website (125.nd.edu/pano).
Shot from near the north side of the flower box on the visitor’s sideline, you can explore the interactive photo, find and tag yourself, share with friends, and enter to win prizes by visiting the website.
On Friday afternoon, I caught up with the photographer and learned some interesting facts about the interactive photo (sometimes referred to as a gigapixel).
The image is taken from a controller that is set to automatically shoot at a pre-determined overlap of 20%.
Similar to how a panoramic image is stitched together, creating a gigapixel requires more than just the click of a button. While the finished product looks like a single super-high-resolution photo, it is more than 1,000 images, at approximately 24 megabytes each.
From the first shot to the very last image, it takes about a half hour to capture, so unlike the minute or two it might take to create a panorama on your iPhone, preparing the gigapixel image requires significant production time. A team of three works between 12-15 hours (sometimes more) editing, stitching and arranging the photos to make sure everything lines up correctly.
While the average point & shoot digital camera might take pictures between 12-16 megapixels, the interactive photo is 18 gigapixels. That’s 1,800 megapixels for those of you keeping track at home.
In addition to the interactive photo, a panoramic shot was taken from atop the east side of the stadium, across from the press box. Both framed and unframed panoramic photos can be purchased through the 125.nd.edu/pano page.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- We got that #FridayFeeling courtesy of @TevonConey. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/PcWVF9sKNc 1 hour ago
- They can't stop what they can't catch. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/8oPzlHvV48 12 hours ago
- Did you know midyear enrollee @JackLamb_'s favorite emoji is 😂? Get to know more about the LB ⬇️. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Our men have been staying active in the South Bend community. #GoIrish ☘ #4for40 https://t.co/pAbuRbu55Y 22 hours ago
- RT @mcjavon: And so it begins...🍀 https://t.co/VAyAFwq9Up 23 hours ago
- Softball. #25 Irish Find Offense In Competitive Top-10 Games
- Baseball. Notre Dame Splits Doubleheader at Alamo Irish Classic
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ride Record Night Firmly Into ACC Top 5
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vanquish Virginia Tech, 89-59
- Track & Field. Irish DMR's Highlight Day One
- W. Lacrosse. Irish set to host No. 7/6 USC
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Wake Forest - Five Things To Know
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Michigan, Ohio State & Toledo
- Baseball. SCHEDULE CHANGE: First Pitch Rescheduled
- M. Golf. Irish Wrap Play at Prestige at PGA West