Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
With the Fighting Irish’s 5-0 start, there have been a lot of “This is the first time since…” factoids coming out of the athletic media relations office (Thanks @NDHardin, @NDsidBertschy and @NDHeisler).
Well, we can add another one to the list.
Shortly after the conclusion of Notre Dame’s 41-3 victory over Miami, ESPN announced that the College GameDay crew is South Bend bound for the first time since Oct. 15, 2005.
We’re heading to South Bend next week to see the Stanford Cardinal take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!
— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) October 7, 2012
Last time GameDay was here, the #9 Irish hosted #1 USC and…yeah, you probably know what happened.
This week, seventh-ranked Notre Dame takes on #17 Stanford at 3:30 pm ET on NBC, but before the game kicks off, ESPN will broadcast live for three hours on Saturday morning.
It will be GameDay’s eighth visit to campus. The crew first visited in 1993 for the “Game of the Century” between Notre Dame and Florida State. That was also ESPN’s first-ever show on the road, away from the network’s studios in Bristol, Conn.
As you can see, Lee Corso picked the Seminoles, but it was the Irish who prevailed, 31-24, in a game that certainly lived up to the hype. It’s hard to believe, but Corso and host Chris Fowler were part of the broadcast team nearly 20 years ago, when the show was held at Heritage Hall inside the Joyce Center.
Saturday’s show begins at 9 am ET on ESPNU, before switching over to ESPN from 10 am until noon ET. Fowler and Corso will be joined by analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, along with reporters Samantha Steele and Tom Rinaldi.
Get some sleep, get excited, and more importantly, get your signs ready.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- To the best fan base in the world! Thanks for getting us to 500,000! #GoIrish https://t.co/7d4BiJY51Z 9 hours ago
- RT @Coach_Lea: Thanks to all the coaches that helped me this month. Indebted to each of you for your time. Feels great to be home!! https:/… 2 days ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Finished spring recruiting last night!Made it to my final Father's Day Luau! Thanks to all the coaches and admin that… 2 days ago
- COMMUNITY ✅ #PillarsOfNotreDame READ: und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/o0L8xlCSxz 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ HEADS UP! 100 Days until kickoff in Notre Dame Stadium. 📆 September 2nd 🏈 @NDFootball vs. Temple https://t.co/5I5jQo… 3 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game