Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
With the Fighting Irish’s 5-0 start, there have been a lot of “This is the first time since…” factoids coming out of the athletic media relations office (Thanks @NDHardin, @NDsidBertschy and @NDHeisler).
Well, we can add another one to the list.
Shortly after the conclusion of Notre Dame’s 41-3 victory over Miami, ESPN announced that the College GameDay crew is South Bend bound for the first time since Oct. 15, 2005.
We’re heading to South Bend next week to see the Stanford Cardinal take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!
— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) October 7, 2012
Last time GameDay was here, the #9 Irish hosted #1 USC and…yeah, you probably know what happened.
This week, seventh-ranked Notre Dame takes on #17 Stanford at 3:30 pm ET on NBC, but before the game kicks off, ESPN will broadcast live for three hours on Saturday morning.
It will be GameDay’s eighth visit to campus. The crew first visited in 1993 for the “Game of the Century” between Notre Dame and Florida State. That was also ESPN’s first-ever show on the road, away from the network’s studios in Bristol, Conn.
As you can see, Lee Corso picked the Seminoles, but it was the Irish who prevailed, 31-24, in a game that certainly lived up to the hype. It’s hard to believe, but Corso and host Chris Fowler were part of the broadcast team nearly 20 years ago, when the show was held at Heritage Hall inside the Joyce Center.
Saturday’s show begins at 9 am ET on ESPNU, before switching over to ESPN from 10 am until noon ET. Fowler and Corso will be joined by analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, along with reporters Samantha Steele and Tom Rinaldi.
Get some sleep, get excited, and more importantly, get your signs ready.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:https://… 4 hours ago
- 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈Those Gold Lids Though ... https://t.co/r1XRxLnyMI 4 days ago
- RT @BrianPolian: Incredibly blessed + humbled to announce my Top 4 ND Football Traditions (no particular order) Please respect my decision… 5 days ago
- 🏈Those Gold Lids Though ... https://t.co/r1XRxLnyMI 5 days ago
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships