Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
With the Fighting Irish’s 5-0 start, there have been a lot of “This is the first time since…” factoids coming out of the athletic media relations office (Thanks @NDHardin, @NDsidBertschy and @NDHeisler).
Well, we can add another one to the list.
Shortly after the conclusion of Notre Dame’s 41-3 victory over Miami, ESPN announced that the College GameDay crew is South Bend bound for the first time since Oct. 15, 2005.
We’re heading to South Bend next week to see the Stanford Cardinal take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!
— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) October 7, 2012
Last time GameDay was here, the #9 Irish hosted #1 USC and…yeah, you probably know what happened.
This week, seventh-ranked Notre Dame takes on #17 Stanford at 3:30 pm ET on NBC, but before the game kicks off, ESPN will broadcast live for three hours on Saturday morning.
It will be GameDay’s eighth visit to campus. The crew first visited in 1993 for the “Game of the Century” between Notre Dame and Florida State. That was also ESPN’s first-ever show on the road, away from the network’s studios in Bristol, Conn.
As you can see, Lee Corso picked the Seminoles, but it was the Irish who prevailed, 31-24, in a game that certainly lived up to the hype. It’s hard to believe, but Corso and host Chris Fowler were part of the broadcast team nearly 20 years ago, when the show was held at Heritage Hall inside the Joyce Center.
Saturday’s show begins at 9 am ET on ESPNU, before switching over to ESPN from 10 am until noon ET. Fowler and Corso will be joined by analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, along with reporters Samantha Steele and Tom Rinaldi.
Get some sleep, get excited, and more importantly, get your signs ready.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- #TBT to some of the top moments from our 48-37 victory over Wake Forest in 2017. #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatDeacs https://t.co/1aOxU3UgPC 1 hour ago
- 😊 @DTranquill #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatDeacs https://t.co/RFlkyzX1tK 11 hours ago
- Grit Wednesday. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/CEz5inDeV8 13 hours ago
- .@NicWeishar82 is this week's nominee for the 2018 Captial One Orange Bowl-FWAA Courage Award. MORE: und.com/news/2018/9/19… #GoIrish ☘️ 18 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: This week's episode of Inside @NDFootball is LIVE! Look back at the Irish win vs. Vanderbilt before the Week 4 showdown… 20 hours ago