Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
With the Fighting Irish’s 5-0 start, there have been a lot of “This is the first time since…” factoids coming out of the athletic media relations office (Thanks @NDHardin, @NDsidBertschy and @NDHeisler).
Well, we can add another one to the list.
Shortly after the conclusion of Notre Dame’s 41-3 victory over Miami, ESPN announced that the College GameDay crew is South Bend bound for the first time since Oct. 15, 2005.
We’re heading to South Bend next week to see the Stanford Cardinal take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!
— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) October 7, 2012
Last time GameDay was here, the #9 Irish hosted #1 USC and…yeah, you probably know what happened.
This week, seventh-ranked Notre Dame takes on #17 Stanford at 3:30 pm ET on NBC, but before the game kicks off, ESPN will broadcast live for three hours on Saturday morning.
It will be GameDay’s eighth visit to campus. The crew first visited in 1993 for the “Game of the Century” between Notre Dame and Florida State. That was also ESPN’s first-ever show on the road, away from the network’s studios in Bristol, Conn.
As you can see, Lee Corso picked the Seminoles, but it was the Irish who prevailed, 31-24, in a game that certainly lived up to the hype. It’s hard to believe, but Corso and host Chris Fowler were part of the broadcast team nearly 20 years ago, when the show was held at Heritage Hall inside the Joyce Center.
Saturday’s show begins at 9 am ET on ESPNU, before switching over to ESPN from 10 am until noon ET. Fowler and Corso will be joined by analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, along with reporters Samantha Steele and Tom Rinaldi.
Get some sleep, get excited, and more importantly, get your signs ready.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Go behind the scenes & inside the huddles from our 2017 Blue-Gold Game. #GoIrish https://t.co/MU7EJ3gDZT 16 hours ago
- Student. Athlete. Irish. #4for40 twitter.com/si_ncaafb/stat… 20 hours ago
- 🏈Celebrate #NDday by supporting Football, our top-ranked Business School, your favorite Res-Hall & more! ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📽 #NDDay is LIVE! Tune in for appearances from past & current student-athletes celebrating ND. Watch/Donate:https://t.… 2 days ago
- RT @ian_book23: Embrace the moment 🍀 https://t.co/3dd4Z3qifU 2 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
- Softball. Irish Too Hot For Cats In Five, 10-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1