Oct 12, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Though College GameDay will broadcast for three hours on Saturday morning, the excitement all builds to the end of the show, at approximately 11:58 am when colorful analyst Lee Corso makes his weekly headgear selection. Over the years, there have been a lot of memorable GameDay moments centered around Corso’s pick, and there’s no doubt fans are anxiously awaiting tomorrow’s decision.
Saturday will mark the 20th game in which the Irish are featured on College GameDay, and the eighth appearance for the show in South Bend.
In 1993, ESPN took the show on the road for the first time, broadcasting live from Heritage Hall in the Joyce Center. On that Saturday, Corso picked Florida State, switched to Notre Dame, and ultimately swapped back to the Seminoles. But it was the Irish who prevailed in the “Game of the Century,” 31-24.
GameDay also made stops in South Bend in the following two years, with Notre Dame losing to #6 Michigan in 1994, before upsetting #5 USC in ’95.
In 1996 on DeBartolo Quad, Corso successfully picked Ohio State to top the Irish. At this point, you might think Corso has never selected Notre Dame.
But in the words of the man himself – “Not so fast, my friend!”
When co-defending champion Michigan came to town in 1998, Corso selected #24 Notre Dame to pull off the upset – and that they did, stunning the Wolverines, 36-20.
In 1999, GameDay was on the road with the Irish for games at Michigan and Tennessee. Corso picked against Notre Dame in both games – and in both games, the ol’ coach was correct.
These, just a few of the games in which the Irish have been part of GameDay’s road show. Overall, Notre Dame is 8-11 in contests featured on GameDay, and 3-4 when the show visits campus.
The only other time Corso picked Notre Dame was at Michigan State in 2004 (pictured above). Like in 1998, the Irish prevailed, this time by a score of 31-24. Though he’s only picked Notre Dame twice, the Irish are 2-0 in those games.
In the show’s first appearance since 2005, they’ll look to improve that home record to an even 4-4, but more importantly, remain undefeated at the midpoint of the season.
So the question everyone’s still asking is: Mr Corso, will it be the tree…or the leprechaun?
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament