Oct 16, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
The Fighting Irish improved to 6-0 with an overtime victory over Stanford in the rain on Saturday. The weather wasn’t the only obstacle to overcome. Notre Dame trailed for the first time all season when the Cardinal recovered an Everett Golson fumble in the end zone in the second quarter. The Irish faced a field position deficit throughout the game and lost the turnover battle by one.
On 23 occasions since 2002, the Irish faced a field position deficit, a turnover deficit, and a halftime deficit on the scoreboard. The victory over Stanford this weekend was only the second time in that span that they overcame all three to win. (A 24-17 win over Wake Forest last season was the only other such victory in the last decade). Dating back to a 2010 victory over USC, Notre Dame has won five of its last seven games in which it had both a turnover and field position deficit.
The second half surge against the Cardinal was keyed on both sides of the ball. The Irish defense forced Stanford into a three-and-out on each of its first three second half possessions and with a goal line stand in overtime, continued its remarkable run of four straight games without surrendering a touchdown. The Irish offense had a slow second half start before kicking it into gear and dominating down the stretch, covering 227 yards on 32 plays in its last four possessions including the overtime game-winning touchdown.
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament