Oct 16, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
The Fighting Irish improved to 6-0 with an overtime victory over Stanford in the rain on Saturday. The weather wasn’t the only obstacle to overcome. Notre Dame trailed for the first time all season when the Cardinal recovered an Everett Golson fumble in the end zone in the second quarter. The Irish faced a field position deficit throughout the game and lost the turnover battle by one.
On 23 occasions since 2002, the Irish faced a field position deficit, a turnover deficit, and a halftime deficit on the scoreboard. The victory over Stanford this weekend was only the second time in that span that they overcame all three to win. (A 24-17 win over Wake Forest last season was the only other such victory in the last decade). Dating back to a 2010 victory over USC, Notre Dame has won five of its last seven games in which it had both a turnover and field position deficit.
The second half surge against the Cardinal was keyed on both sides of the ball. The Irish defense forced Stanford into a three-and-out on each of its first three second half possessions and with a goal line stand in overtime, continued its remarkable run of four straight games without surrendering a touchdown. The Irish offense had a slow second half start before kicking it into gear and dominating down the stretch, covering 227 yards on 32 plays in its last four possessions including the overtime game-winning touchdown.
Brian Fremeau (’99) is a college football writer, stats analyst, and data visualization designer. His work regularly appears at ESPN Insider, ESPN the Magazine, Football Outsiders, and on his own site, BCF Toys. He develops and publishes numerous possession-based statistics including the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Follow Brian on Twitter.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC