Oct 16, 2012, 1:53 PM EST
Though many fans are still riding the high of Saturday night’s legendary in-the-rain-goal-line-stand-overtime victory, it’s time to start focusing on next week (Oct. 20, 3:30 pm ET, NBC). After a string of games against familiar opponents, Notre Dame takes on a squad it hasn’t seen much – BYU.
The #5 Fighting Irish will meet the Cougars for just the seventh time – a series Notre Dame leads, 4-2. The six contests occurred in a pair of three-year sets – 1992-94 and 2003-05. BYU will also return to Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 23, 2013 for the final home
Saturday’s contest will mark the first game between the programs since a record-setting afternoon in 2005.
On that day, the ninth-ranked Irish won, 49-23. Brady Quinn set a single-game school mark with six touchdown passes, including four to receiver Maurice Stovall. The Irish quarterback also threw for 467 yards, a total that ranks third in program history.
In 2003, Julius Jones ran for three touchdowns and 161 yards, as the Irish cruised to a 33-14 victory.
Notre Dame won the first two matchups in series history, easily – 42-16 in 1992 and 45-20 in 1993 – before falling 21-14 during the ’94 campaign.
Another of the four independent teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the Cougars will arrive in South Bend with a 4-3 record and coming off of a 42-24 loss to #10 Oregon State (now ranked eighth).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC