Oct 16, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
Though many fans are still riding the high of Saturday night’s legendary in-the-rain-goal-line-stand-overtime victory, it’s time to start focusing on next week (Oct. 20, 3:30 pm ET, NBC). After a string of games against familiar opponents, Notre Dame takes on a squad it hasn’t seen much – BYU.
The #5 Fighting Irish will meet the Cougars for just the seventh time – a series Notre Dame leads, 4-2. The six contests occurred in a pair of three-year sets – 1992-94 and 2003-05. BYU will also return to Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 23, 2013 for the final home
Saturday’s contest will mark the first game between the programs since a record-setting afternoon in 2005.
On that day, the ninth-ranked Irish won, 49-23. Brady Quinn set a single-game school mark with six touchdown passes, including four to receiver Maurice Stovall. The Irish quarterback also threw for 467 yards, a total that ranks third in program history.
In 2003, Julius Jones ran for three touchdowns and 161 yards, as the Irish cruised to a 33-14 victory.
Notre Dame won the first two matchups in series history, easily – 42-16 in 1992 and 45-20 in 1993 – before falling 21-14 during the ’94 campaign.
Another of the four independent teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the Cougars will arrive in South Bend with a 4-3 record and coming off of a 42-24 loss to #10 Oregon State (now ranked eighth).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament