Oct 16, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
Though many fans are still riding the high of Saturday night’s legendary in-the-rain-goal-line-stand-overtime victory, it’s time to start focusing on next week (Oct. 20, 3:30 pm ET, NBC). After a string of games against familiar opponents, Notre Dame takes on a squad it hasn’t seen much – BYU.
The #5 Fighting Irish will meet the Cougars for just the seventh time – a series Notre Dame leads, 4-2. The six contests occurred in a pair of three-year sets – 1992-94 and 2003-05. BYU will also return to Notre Dame Stadium on Nov. 23, 2013 for the final home
Saturday’s contest will mark the first game between the programs since a record-setting afternoon in 2005.
On that day, the ninth-ranked Irish won, 49-23. Brady Quinn set a single-game school mark with six touchdown passes, including four to receiver Maurice Stovall. The Irish quarterback also threw for 467 yards, a total that ranks third in program history.
In 2003, Julius Jones ran for three touchdowns and 161 yards, as the Irish cruised to a 33-14 victory.
Notre Dame won the first two matchups in series history, easily – 42-16 in 1992 and 45-20 in 1993 – before falling 21-14 during the ’94 campaign.
Another of the four independent teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the Cougars will arrive in South Bend with a 4-3 record and coming off of a 42-24 loss to #10 Oregon State (now ranked eighth).
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Congrats to Quenton Nelson (@BigQ56) and Mike McGlinchey (@mmcglinch68) on being named to the Pre-season… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 47 minutes ago
- RT @LoganPlantz: First Day of School! @NDFootball https://t.co/OlRhXPMkxw 1 hour ago
- RT @SlipperyFox10: First day of school! https://t.co/3ZdKP5uYRy 3 hours ago
- Good luck to everyone, let's have a great year! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/y3F7iPfMkS 3 hours ago
- 12 days to go. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/g6UFJ2WKaU 19 hours ago
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Outrun Valpo 3-0 In Grassroot Soccer Clash
- W. Basketball. Visual Look Back at Ogunbowale's Trip to Tokyo
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Season Preview
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled