Oct 21, 2012, 1:04 PM EST
When Brian Kelly came out for his post game press conference yesterday, one of the first things he commented on was the atmosphere of the locker room.
“I think the thing that was concerning for me the most is when our guys came in, and I didn’t sense a great feeling after winning a tough, tough football game,” Kelly said.
The football team and I were one in this regard. Sure, a win is a win, but there are all different kinds of wins. Our last two wins at home–Michigan and Stanford–were the kind of win that claim your heart as a part of Notre Dame. They were the kind of win that stays with you forever.
So what kind of win was this?
BYU was the sandwich game. In between Stanford and Oklahoma, no one was really thinking about BYU. We beat Stanford and everyone around me immediately started talking about Oklahoma. BYU was a given. It was a non-issue. Until it wasn’t.
True to my last post, there was never a moment during yesterday’s game when I thought BYU would be our downfall. Even when BYU had the ball in the fourth quarter and was making for our end zone, I knew our team would pull together. They have instilled that belief in me.
But I was scared for the future. What did this game mean for our future games? Again, I asked myself: what kind of win was this?
Maybe, just maybe, this was a learning win. Maybe it was a time for us to realize that every down counts, every block matters, and every game is crucial. Nothing is “a given” anymore, because any mistake could topple what has been the most magical season of my life.
I like that the players weren’t thrilled last night. Winning isn’t enough for them anymore just like it isn’t enough for me. We don’t want to scrape by. We want to be dominant.
So maybe the players weren’t as excited for last night’s win and neither were the students, but in the grand scheme of things, we should be. One game at a time now, that’s how it has to be. Maybe every win won’t end up with us storming the field or dancing in the stands, but they all matter. They matter because we matter. If we’re going to have more wins like Stanford, we have to have wins like BYU. That’s the slow and steady grind of a season like this. That’s what being undefeated feels like.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC