Oct 21, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
When Brian Kelly came out for his post game press conference yesterday, one of the first things he commented on was the atmosphere of the locker room.
“I think the thing that was concerning for me the most is when our guys came in, and I didn’t sense a great feeling after winning a tough, tough football game,” Kelly said.
The football team and I were one in this regard. Sure, a win is a win, but there are all different kinds of wins. Our last two wins at home–Michigan and Stanford–were the kind of win that claim your heart as a part of Notre Dame. They were the kind of win that stays with you forever.
So what kind of win was this?
BYU was the sandwich game. In between Stanford and Oklahoma, no one was really thinking about BYU. We beat Stanford and everyone around me immediately started talking about Oklahoma. BYU was a given. It was a non-issue. Until it wasn’t.
True to my last post, there was never a moment during yesterday’s game when I thought BYU would be our downfall. Even when BYU had the ball in the fourth quarter and was making for our end zone, I knew our team would pull together. They have instilled that belief in me.
But I was scared for the future. What did this game mean for our future games? Again, I asked myself: what kind of win was this?
Maybe, just maybe, this was a learning win. Maybe it was a time for us to realize that every down counts, every block matters, and every game is crucial. Nothing is “a given” anymore, because any mistake could topple what has been the most magical season of my life.
I like that the players weren’t thrilled last night. Winning isn’t enough for them anymore just like it isn’t enough for me. We don’t want to scrape by. We want to be dominant.
So maybe the players weren’t as excited for last night’s win and neither were the students, but in the grand scheme of things, we should be. One game at a time now, that’s how it has to be. Maybe every win won’t end up with us storming the field or dancing in the stands, but they all matter. They matter because we matter. If we’re going to have more wins like Stanford, we have to have wins like BYU. That’s the slow and steady grind of a season like this. That’s what being undefeated feels like.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 8 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament