Oct 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
If you’re a Twitter or Instagram user, you’ve probably seen #ThrowbackThursday (…or #tbt, for those that like to save those precious characters).
But this season, Notre Dame Magazine‘s Mike Rodio (’12) is providing Irish fans with a different kind of blast from the past on Mondays.
For each Notre Dame home game, Rodio is writing in a style similar to that of Grantland Rice, the 20th century sportswriter who penned the famous Four Horsemen lede, among other elegant headlines.
Here’s an excerpt.
After nearly two hours of warfare under an Olympian cumulus, Notre Dame faced an opponent more familiar and more deadly than the stubbornly tough Cougars from Brigham Young.
The Irish fought their darkest doubts.
Kyle Brindza’s early missed kick cast a long shadow. Guided by backup quarterback Tommy Rees, Notre Dame’s offense leapt to an early lead but struggled to score after Tyler Eifert’s spectacular end zone catch late in the first quarter.
The distress signal sounded from Notre Dame’s defense, where cracks were beginning to show through the blasted bulwark. Stephon Tuitt, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Dan Fox each sacked Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson in the first quarter, but Nelson struck back with second-quarter touchdown tosses — the second one after a Tommy Rees interception. The Irish defense, nigh impregnable for the last four games, had been gashed for two touchdowns in a mere two minutes.
The stadium was stunned. Even Manti Te’o, whom Nelson called “the heart and soul” of Notre Dame’s defense, later admitted that those touchdowns — the first to Cody Hoffman and the second to Kaneakua Friel — shocked the blue and gold boys.
For Mike’s full account of the Fighting Irish’s 17-14 win, check out the Notre Dame Magazine website.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- 54 NFL Reps 57 Media Members 1 University. Our guys worked out in front of crowd at our indoor facility for our Pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 24 Reps at 225lbs. 36" Vert. No Linebacker accomplished both those feats at the NFL Combine. James Onwualu did at… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- "He's got a big time arm." -Todd McShay A potential top pick in the NFL Draft, QB DeShone Kizer, showed his skills… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @PlayersTribune: An inside look at how @DKizer_14 prepared for his @NDFootball Pro Day. https://t.co/iMy70hv1YF 21 hours ago
- RT @Uniformswag: #ProDay gear for @NDFootball #uniswag https://t.co/Rv12ajt3TS 21 hours ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now