Oct 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
If you’re a Twitter or Instagram user, you’ve probably seen #ThrowbackThursday (…or #tbt, for those that like to save those precious characters).
But this season, Notre Dame Magazine‘s Mike Rodio (’12) is providing Irish fans with a different kind of blast from the past on Mondays.
For each Notre Dame home game, Rodio is writing in a style similar to that of Grantland Rice, the 20th century sportswriter who penned the famous Four Horsemen lede, among other elegant headlines.
Here’s an excerpt.
After nearly two hours of warfare under an Olympian cumulus, Notre Dame faced an opponent more familiar and more deadly than the stubbornly tough Cougars from Brigham Young.
The Irish fought their darkest doubts.
Kyle Brindza’s early missed kick cast a long shadow. Guided by backup quarterback Tommy Rees, Notre Dame’s offense leapt to an early lead but struggled to score after Tyler Eifert’s spectacular end zone catch late in the first quarter.
The distress signal sounded from Notre Dame’s defense, where cracks were beginning to show through the blasted bulwark. Stephon Tuitt, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Dan Fox each sacked Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson in the first quarter, but Nelson struck back with second-quarter touchdown tosses — the second one after a Tommy Rees interception. The Irish defense, nigh impregnable for the last four games, had been gashed for two touchdowns in a mere two minutes.
The stadium was stunned. Even Manti Te’o, whom Nelson called “the heart and soul” of Notre Dame’s defense, later admitted that those touchdowns — the first to Cody Hoffman and the second to Kaneakua Friel — shocked the blue and gold boys.
For Mike’s full account of the Fighting Irish’s 17-14 win, check out the Notre Dame Magazine website.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse. #NDBi… 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Jumping for joy because it's less than 40 days until kickoff! 👀 @NDFootball https://t.co/wB8HJTP72D 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2nd TD… 1 day ago
- RT @SimonShayne: https://t.co/DgEdxeAE60 1 day ago
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 3 days ago
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka