Oct 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
If you’re a Twitter or Instagram user, you’ve probably seen #ThrowbackThursday (…or #tbt, for those that like to save those precious characters).
But this season, Notre Dame Magazine‘s Mike Rodio (’12) is providing Irish fans with a different kind of blast from the past on Mondays.
For each Notre Dame home game, Rodio is writing in a style similar to that of Grantland Rice, the 20th century sportswriter who penned the famous Four Horsemen lede, among other elegant headlines.
Here’s an excerpt.
After nearly two hours of warfare under an Olympian cumulus, Notre Dame faced an opponent more familiar and more deadly than the stubbornly tough Cougars from Brigham Young.
The Irish fought their darkest doubts.
Kyle Brindza’s early missed kick cast a long shadow. Guided by backup quarterback Tommy Rees, Notre Dame’s offense leapt to an early lead but struggled to score after Tyler Eifert’s spectacular end zone catch late in the first quarter.
The distress signal sounded from Notre Dame’s defense, where cracks were beginning to show through the blasted bulwark. Stephon Tuitt, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Dan Fox each sacked Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson in the first quarter, but Nelson struck back with second-quarter touchdown tosses — the second one after a Tommy Rees interception. The Irish defense, nigh impregnable for the last four games, had been gashed for two touchdowns in a mere two minutes.
The stadium was stunned. Even Manti Te’o, whom Nelson called “the heart and soul” of Notre Dame’s defense, later admitted that those touchdowns — the first to Cody Hoffman and the second to Kaneakua Friel — shocked the blue and gold boys.
For Mike’s full account of the Fighting Irish’s 17-14 win, check out the Notre Dame Magazine website.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- It's the little things that separate competitors and champions. We will do the little things. #DetailOriented https://t.co/4jkBQJaZtV 2 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for its… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:https://… 1 day ago
- 🏈BOWLING FOR A CAUSE Great to see @Equanimeous & @mcjavon helping out in community through @UpliftingAth. DONATE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NDFootball: 🏈Those Gold Lids Though ... https://t.co/r1XRxLnyMI 5 days ago
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad