Oct 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
If you’re a Twitter or Instagram user, you’ve probably seen #ThrowbackThursday (…or #tbt, for those that like to save those precious characters).
But this season, Notre Dame Magazine‘s Mike Rodio (’12) is providing Irish fans with a different kind of blast from the past on Mondays.
For each Notre Dame home game, Rodio is writing in a style similar to that of Grantland Rice, the 20th century sportswriter who penned the famous Four Horsemen lede, among other elegant headlines.
Here’s an excerpt.
After nearly two hours of warfare under an Olympian cumulus, Notre Dame faced an opponent more familiar and more deadly than the stubbornly tough Cougars from Brigham Young.
The Irish fought their darkest doubts.
Kyle Brindza’s early missed kick cast a long shadow. Guided by backup quarterback Tommy Rees, Notre Dame’s offense leapt to an early lead but struggled to score after Tyler Eifert’s spectacular end zone catch late in the first quarter.
The distress signal sounded from Notre Dame’s defense, where cracks were beginning to show through the blasted bulwark. Stephon Tuitt, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Dan Fox each sacked Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson in the first quarter, but Nelson struck back with second-quarter touchdown tosses — the second one after a Tommy Rees interception. The Irish defense, nigh impregnable for the last four games, had been gashed for two touchdowns in a mere two minutes.
The stadium was stunned. Even Manti Te’o, whom Nelson called “the heart and soul” of Notre Dame’s defense, later admitted that those touchdowns — the first to Cody Hoffman and the second to Kaneakua Friel — shocked the blue and gold boys.
For Mike’s full account of the Fighting Irish’s 17-14 win, check out the Notre Dame Magazine website.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Go behind the scenes & inside the huddles from our 2017 Blue-Gold Game. #GoIrish https://t.co/MU7EJ3gDZT 16 hours ago
- Student. Athlete. Irish. #4for40 twitter.com/si_ncaafb/stat… 20 hours ago
- 🏈Celebrate #NDday by supporting Football, our top-ranked Business School, your favorite Res-Hall & more! ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📽 #NDDay is LIVE! Tune in for appearances from past & current student-athletes celebrating ND. Watch/Donate:https://t.… 2 days ago
- RT @ian_book23: Embrace the moment 🍀 https://t.co/3dd4Z3qifU 2 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
- Softball. Irish Too Hot For Cats In Five, 10-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1