Oct 22, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
If you’re a Twitter or Instagram user, you’ve probably seen #ThrowbackThursday (…or #tbt, for those that like to save those precious characters).
But this season, Notre Dame Magazine‘s Mike Rodio (’12) is providing Irish fans with a different kind of blast from the past on Mondays.
For each Notre Dame home game, Rodio is writing in a style similar to that of Grantland Rice, the 20th century sportswriter who penned the famous Four Horsemen lede, among other elegant headlines.
Here’s an excerpt.
After nearly two hours of warfare under an Olympian cumulus, Notre Dame faced an opponent more familiar and more deadly than the stubbornly tough Cougars from Brigham Young.
The Irish fought their darkest doubts.
Kyle Brindza’s early missed kick cast a long shadow. Guided by backup quarterback Tommy Rees, Notre Dame’s offense leapt to an early lead but struggled to score after Tyler Eifert’s spectacular end zone catch late in the first quarter.
The distress signal sounded from Notre Dame’s defense, where cracks were beginning to show through the blasted bulwark. Stephon Tuitt, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Dan Fox each sacked Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson in the first quarter, but Nelson struck back with second-quarter touchdown tosses — the second one after a Tommy Rees interception. The Irish defense, nigh impregnable for the last four games, had been gashed for two touchdowns in a mere two minutes.
The stadium was stunned. Even Manti Te’o, whom Nelson called “the heart and soul” of Notre Dame’s defense, later admitted that those touchdowns — the first to Cody Hoffman and the second to Kaneakua Friel — shocked the blue and gold boys.
For Mike’s full account of the Fighting Irish’s 17-14 win, check out the Notre Dame Magazine website.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NDXCTF: Troy Pride Jr. is back on the track and @NDFootball was here to cheer him on to the finals! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/KpytmUOD… 9 hours ago
- RT @Lions: It's #Showtime! Grab some 🍿 and watch our favorite 🏈 moments from @ShowtimeTate in 2017. #OnePride https://t.co/zYti4yXUeR 9 hours ago
- Taking it back to 2014 when current @Jaguars TE @koymonster caught the game-winning touchdown for the Irish on 4th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- Our men out there supporting @ndwbb in their comeback victory over Tennessee. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/hIQhM7MO79 1 day ago
- #FridayFeeling ☘ #GoIrish https://t.co/jHCSNNF9DQ 1 day ago
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director