Oct 23, 2012, 10:34 PM EST
#5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma.
It’s “an epic clash” between two titans of college football.
But despite each school’s legacy of success, the Fighting Irish and Sooners do not share a long history on the field. The teams have played nine times previously, with Notre Dame enjoying most of the success and leading the series, 8-1.
Before that contest, you have to go all the way back to 1968 – a battle between #3 Notre Dame and #5 Oklahoma. Jim Seymour (’69) caught two touchdown passes and the Fighting Irish dominated, 45-21.
Saturday’s game at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium will be Notre Dame’s first trip to Norman since 1966, and you might recall, that was a special season for the Fighting Irish.
Ara Parseghian led a 4-0 Notre Dame squad into the Sooner State, and the Irish’s stellar defense handed #10 Oklahoma its worst loss in more than two decades, 38-0.
Notre Dame went on to win its eighth consensus national championship, and the first of Parseghian’s career in South Bend.
The Irish have won the last six match-ups, with Oklahoma’s only series victory coming in 1956.
But undoubtedly, the most significant game in the series was played the following year, in 1957. The Fighting Irish visited Norman as 19-point underdogs and the Sooners were riding a 47-game winning streak. And well…
I don’t want to spoil it.
We’ll have more coming on that game, as well as another memorable contest from the ND-OU series, later in the week at 125.nd.edu.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
- Cross Country. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Track & Field. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team AP All-Americans
- M. Golf. Alum Mark Baldwin Excels at Web.com Tour Qualifying
- M. Basketball. Replay: No Ho-Hum Homecoming for Brey
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Remain Perfect In B1G Play With 6-2 Win Over #12 Wisconsin
- M. Basketball. Offensive Onslaught Propels Irish To 92-68 Win At Delaware