Oct 23, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
#5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma.
It’s “an epic clash” between two titans of college football.
But despite each school’s legacy of success, the Fighting Irish and Sooners do not share a long history on the field. The teams have played nine times previously, with Notre Dame enjoying most of the success and leading the series, 8-1.
Before that contest, you have to go all the way back to 1968 – a battle between #3 Notre Dame and #5 Oklahoma. Jim Seymour (’69) caught two touchdown passes and the Fighting Irish dominated, 45-21.
Saturday’s game at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium will be Notre Dame’s first trip to Norman since 1966, and you might recall, that was a special season for the Fighting Irish.
Ara Parseghian led a 4-0 Notre Dame squad into the Sooner State, and the Irish’s stellar defense handed #10 Oklahoma its worst loss in more than two decades, 38-0.
Notre Dame went on to win its eighth consensus national championship, and the first of Parseghian’s career in South Bend.
The Irish have won the last six match-ups, with Oklahoma’s only series victory coming in 1956.
But undoubtedly, the most significant game in the series was played the following year, in 1957. The Fighting Irish visited Norman as 19-point underdogs and the Sooners were riding a 47-game winning streak. And well…
I don’t want to spoil it.
We’ll have more coming on that game, as well as another memorable contest from the ND-OU series, later in the week at 125.nd.edu.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @NFLFilms: One of the greatest to ever suit up in silver & black. Happy birthday to @ProFootballHOF receiver @81TimBrown! #TDTimmy @RAID… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sneak p… 18 hours ago
- RT @CoachMikeElston: Defensive Line Pool Party and BBQ!! Unwinding after an intense summer and getting ready for push this fall! GO IRISH… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go from ND… 1 day ago
- RT @ChaseClaypool: Jet skiing.. Boating .. Tubing and a feast !! @CoachBrianKelly does it right !! #Team1 ☘️ https://t.co/5NSRDHXUaC 2 days ago
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers