Oct 23, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
#5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma.
It’s “an epic clash” between two titans of college football.
But despite each school’s legacy of success, the Fighting Irish and Sooners do not share a long history on the field. The teams have played nine times previously, with Notre Dame enjoying most of the success and leading the series, 8-1.
Before that contest, you have to go all the way back to 1968 – a battle between #3 Notre Dame and #5 Oklahoma. Jim Seymour (’69) caught two touchdown passes and the Fighting Irish dominated, 45-21.
Saturday’s game at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium will be Notre Dame’s first trip to Norman since 1966, and you might recall, that was a special season for the Fighting Irish.
Ara Parseghian led a 4-0 Notre Dame squad into the Sooner State, and the Irish’s stellar defense handed #10 Oklahoma its worst loss in more than two decades, 38-0.
Notre Dame went on to win its eighth consensus national championship, and the first of Parseghian’s career in South Bend.
The Irish have won the last six match-ups, with Oklahoma’s only series victory coming in 1956.
But undoubtedly, the most significant game in the series was played the following year, in 1957. The Fighting Irish visited Norman as 19-point underdogs and the Sooners were riding a 47-game winning streak. And well…
I don’t want to spoil it.
We’ll have more coming on that game, as well as another memorable contest from the ND-OU series, later in the week at 125.nd.edu.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 4 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 7 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 11 hours ago
- RT @SInow: Welcome to the Heisman race, Josh Adams on.si.com/2hW97kq https://t.co/nEDIrHK7UG 12 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships