Oct 27, 2012, 2:35 AM EDT
The biggest game of the year (so far) is just hours away, as #5 Notre Dame looks to continue its perfect season and go 8-0 for the first time since 2002. It’s been 46 years since the Fighting Irish played in Norman, Okla., but they’re back in the Sooner State this weekend, preparing for a primetime showdown with #8 Oklahoma.
Notre Dame left South Bend Airport shortly after 3 pm ET on Friday afternoon, marking the team’s first flight since the return trip from Ireland nearly eight weeks ago. (Since Dublin, The Irish have taken two short bus trips – to East Lansing and Chicago – in addition to playing four home games).
After landing in Oklahoma City, the Fighting Irish headed to Norman, for a quick walk around The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the site of tomorrow’s highly anticipated matchup.
On a chilly afternoon, the players and coaches checked out the locker room, and got a feel for the 82,112-seat stadium. It seems like we brought the South Bend weather along with us on the flight, and Saturday should be no different – the game time forecast is 47 degrees.
Head coach Brian Kelly caught up with Kirk Herbstreit, who was just in South Bend two weeks ago. After broadcasting in front of Touchdown Jesus for the Stanford game, the College GameDay crew is in Norman this weekend. And fortunately for Herbstreit, he won’t have any mid-afternoon flight to catch this time, as he will be calling the game alongside Brent Musberger.
Kelly also a chance to chat with Sooners coaching legend Barry Switzer, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
Following the walkthrough, the Fighting Irish headed to the team hotel and grabbed dinner, before resting up for the big day.
Clear your Saturday evening schedule. #5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma. 8 pm ET on ABC.
This one has all the makings of an exciting night.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- This isn't going to be the pinnacle to this season, we're just getting started. #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/2byg5YNlHe 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has been named the FWAA National Team of the Week for its 49-14 win over rival USC. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/MzgtWuw5mP 15 hours ago
- RT @dallascowboys: Jaylon!!! #DALvsSF https://t.co/fzAhaP2pFt 18 hours ago
- It's GAMEWEEK! The Irish and the Wolfpack go head-to-head this Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish ☘… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- Eight weeks into season and this is still accurate. #GoIrish ☘ #MondayMotivation twitter.com/NDFootball/sta… 22 hours ago
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance Heading into Final Round at Quail Valley
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Wrap Nonconference Play At #9 MSU
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon Named ACC Co-Player Of The Week
- W. Basketball. Kayla McBride - Next Inductee into Ring of Honor
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: What the Irish Learned
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament