Oct 27, 2012, 2:35 AM EDT
The biggest game of the year (so far) is just hours away, as #5 Notre Dame looks to continue its perfect season and go 8-0 for the first time since 2002. It’s been 46 years since the Fighting Irish played in Norman, Okla., but they’re back in the Sooner State this weekend, preparing for a primetime showdown with #8 Oklahoma.
Notre Dame left South Bend Airport shortly after 3 pm ET on Friday afternoon, marking the team’s first flight since the return trip from Ireland nearly eight weeks ago. (Since Dublin, The Irish have taken two short bus trips – to East Lansing and Chicago – in addition to playing four home games).
After landing in Oklahoma City, the Fighting Irish headed to Norman, for a quick walk around The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the site of tomorrow’s highly anticipated matchup.
On a chilly afternoon, the players and coaches checked out the locker room, and got a feel for the 82,112-seat stadium. It seems like we brought the South Bend weather along with us on the flight, and Saturday should be no different – the game time forecast is 47 degrees.
Head coach Brian Kelly caught up with Kirk Herbstreit, who was just in South Bend two weeks ago. After broadcasting in front of Touchdown Jesus for the Stanford game, the College GameDay crew is in Norman this weekend. And fortunately for Herbstreit, he won’t have any mid-afternoon flight to catch this time, as he will be calling the game alongside Brent Musberger.
Kelly also a chance to chat with Sooners coaching legend Barry Switzer, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
Following the walkthrough, the Fighting Irish headed to the team hotel and grabbed dinner, before resting up for the big day.
Clear your Saturday evening schedule. #5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma. 8 pm ET on ABC.
This one has all the makings of an exciting night.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- RT @LoganPlantz: Great day learning from the @cubs business operations crew. https://t.co/3fdOrJOgou 2 minutes ago
- Today, the Irish are getting an inside look into the different business operations that support the @Cubs multi-bil… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- The countdown to kickoff continues with our captain #️⃣7️⃣1️⃣ @AlexBars_. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/2LTxuw2gBz 3 hours ago
- Great to have @SheldonDay_91 back on campus today with his youth camp, @SDayCamps_92. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishInTheNFL https://t.co/6qQP0SZxeK 4 hours ago
- 😤 @SwedishBlackGuy moving weight this morning. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/tEkxBfHxtv 4 hours ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish In The NHL Draft
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships