Oct 27, 2012, 2:35 AM EST
The biggest game of the year (so far) is just hours away, as #5 Notre Dame looks to continue its perfect season and go 8-0 for the first time since 2002. It’s been 46 years since the Fighting Irish played in Norman, Okla., but they’re back in the Sooner State this weekend, preparing for a primetime showdown with #8 Oklahoma.
Notre Dame left South Bend Airport shortly after 3 pm ET on Friday afternoon, marking the team’s first flight since the return trip from Ireland nearly eight weeks ago. (Since Dublin, The Irish have taken two short bus trips – to East Lansing and Chicago – in addition to playing four home games).
After landing in Oklahoma City, the Fighting Irish headed to Norman, for a quick walk around The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the site of tomorrow’s highly anticipated matchup.
On a chilly afternoon, the players and coaches checked out the locker room, and got a feel for the 82,112-seat stadium. It seems like we brought the South Bend weather along with us on the flight, and Saturday should be no different – the game time forecast is 47 degrees.
Head coach Brian Kelly caught up with Kirk Herbstreit, who was just in South Bend two weeks ago. After broadcasting in front of Touchdown Jesus for the Stanford game, the College GameDay crew is in Norman this weekend. And fortunately for Herbstreit, he won’t have any mid-afternoon flight to catch this time, as he will be calling the game alongside Brent Musberger.
Kelly also a chance to chat with Sooners coaching legend Barry Switzer, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
Following the walkthrough, the Fighting Irish headed to the team hotel and grabbed dinner, before resting up for the big day.
Clear your Saturday evening schedule. #5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma. 8 pm ET on ABC.
This one has all the makings of an exciting night.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- One week until National Signing Day! "I’ve been coming to ND games since I was 7. I’ve always wanted to come here.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- Seven days until Signing Day: The Irish have seven Heisman Trophy winners. #GoIrish ☘ #IrishBouND18 https://t.co/OENHBjDcCg 17 hours ago
- 🙌🏽 @BigQ56 is a unanimous All-American after earning First Team honors on all five NCAA recognized teams.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Last but certainly not least! @mmcglinch68 and @BigQ56 have been named AFCA First Team All-Americans. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/rzFziPGnrG 20 hours ago
- Getting physical in practice 4 😤 #GoIrish ☘ #BeatTigers https://t.co/wV0nwkDKjt 22 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC