Oct 27, 2012, 2:35 AM EDT
The biggest game of the year (so far) is just hours away, as #5 Notre Dame looks to continue its perfect season and go 8-0 for the first time since 2002. It’s been 46 years since the Fighting Irish played in Norman, Okla., but they’re back in the Sooner State this weekend, preparing for a primetime showdown with #8 Oklahoma.
Notre Dame left South Bend Airport shortly after 3 pm ET on Friday afternoon, marking the team’s first flight since the return trip from Ireland nearly eight weeks ago. (Since Dublin, The Irish have taken two short bus trips – to East Lansing and Chicago – in addition to playing four home games).
After landing in Oklahoma City, the Fighting Irish headed to Norman, for a quick walk around The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the site of tomorrow’s highly anticipated matchup.
On a chilly afternoon, the players and coaches checked out the locker room, and got a feel for the 82,112-seat stadium. It seems like we brought the South Bend weather along with us on the flight, and Saturday should be no different – the game time forecast is 47 degrees.
Head coach Brian Kelly caught up with Kirk Herbstreit, who was just in South Bend two weeks ago. After broadcasting in front of Touchdown Jesus for the Stanford game, the College GameDay crew is in Norman this weekend. And fortunately for Herbstreit, he won’t have any mid-afternoon flight to catch this time, as he will be calling the game alongside Brent Musberger.
Kelly also a chance to chat with Sooners coaching legend Barry Switzer, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
Following the walkthrough, the Fighting Irish headed to the team hotel and grabbed dinner, before resting up for the big day.
Clear your Saturday evening schedule. #5 Notre Dame. #8 Oklahoma. 8 pm ET on ABC.
This one has all the makings of an exciting night.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Congrats to Quenton Nelson (@BigQ56) and Mike McGlinchey (@mmcglinch68) on being named to the Pre-season… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 47 minutes ago
- RT @LoganPlantz: First Day of School! @NDFootball https://t.co/OlRhXPMkxw 1 hour ago
- RT @SlipperyFox10: First day of school! https://t.co/3ZdKP5uYRy 3 hours ago
- Good luck to everyone, let's have a great year! #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/y3F7iPfMkS 3 hours ago
- 12 days to go. #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/g6UFJ2WKaU 19 hours ago
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Outrun Valpo 3-0 In Grassroot Soccer Clash
- W. Basketball. Visual Look Back at Ogunbowale's Trip to Tokyo
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Season Preview
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled