Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
With the fourth quarter beginning and the Irish trailing 20-6, I thought about all the dreams that were in serious jeopardy.
A national championship.
Manti Te’o for Heisman.
Mark May dancing merrily in a leprechaun suit.
Turnovers, penalties, a (correctly) reversed touchdown call, countless missed opportunities.
Today just seemed like one of those games that Notre Dame wasn’t meant to win. Visions of 1993 and 2002 haunted fans throughout the stadium and around the world.
But once again, we should have never doubted the 2012 Fighting Irish.
Some time down the road, books will be written about this Notre Dame football season and tonight, the blue and gold added another chapter to what’s shaping up to be a longer epic than any of those childhood classics penned by J.K. Rowling.
In stunning triple-overtime fashion, the Fighting Irish defeated Pittsburgh, 29-26, improving to 9-0 and keeping their BCS championship hopes alive.
Game in and game out, quarterback Everett Golson continues to grow into a promising young leader of the Irish offense. In the fourth quarter, the freshman helped lead a 14-point Notre Dame rally, the program’s largest since 2006. Three overtimes later, he dove into the end zone for the winning score, sending 80,795 tense fans, into yet another end of game frenzy.
The last time Notre Dame had a chance at the coveted crystal ball this late into the season? 1993. I was four years old.
Week after week, victory after victory, I’ve asked myself if I’m going to wake up one day and this will have all been a dream.
But it’s not. It’s been a magical run, a wild ride and a season none of us will soon forget. Get ready, because it may get even crazier before all is said and done.
More coming soon. For now, here are the highlights and post-game interviews from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About Strong and True
ND Football on YouTube
- Fall in South Bend. (Photo via @mattcashore) https://t.co/g1dr9Ub2Dg 12 hours ago
- RT @Colts: Mood. #INDvsTEN @MatthiasFarley https://t.co/bZoiC6zMcR 12 hours ago
- Student Body President/Former WR Corey Robinson and ND Student Government kick off race relations week at Notre Dam… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 18 hours ago
- New week, same mission. This one comes with a little history... #BeatMiami https://t.co/7OlSycRbDc 19 hours ago
- RT @JimThqrpe4: Being from Florida..Energy level on 💯 #BeatMiami 19 hours ago
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming and Diving Ranked Top 15 in National Rankings
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Meet #20 MSU In Final ’16 Nonconference Match
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Play At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals